How long til you let go?

• vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Have a 9 month old American Bulldog. He has severe displasia already and I’ve noticed in the last couple days that he is dragging one of his back legs when he walks. He doesn’t look comfortable, and when I went to try and give him a massage he nipped at me. How long would you wait to make the call

Trapper16
    Lakeville, MN

Sucks, sorry for your situation. We have a bulldog too and he’s one of thw family members so I would talk to the vet and as long as he’s not in pain than it’s all up to you and his quality of life.

stuart
    Mn.

Hate to say it but the time is now.Sorry about your pup.Its very hard to make this call but you should take him to Dr.Garlie Monday.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I would say now is the time. Unfortunately.
    I would say he is already suffering and when you try to message it and he nips at you that means he’s hurting when you touch it there.
    I’ve always been one that when a dog of mine starts to show he’s suffering, then its time.

Good luck

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

It is time but did you get a health guarantee from the breeder? A reputable breeder would take him back and allow you a refund or another pup from the next litter. Only problem might be his blood line my carry this problem. A refund and a different breeder might be a better option.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Sorry to hear about your pup. A good vet will help you make the call that fits your desires for your pup. Hang in there.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Nothing worse than looking into the eyes of a dog in pain. 9 months old, man that has to be hard to take. Hang in there.

-J.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

I always worked with our vet to explore all options before letting go.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I read this earlier and didn’t catch the 9 month old part. I read he’s had dysplasia for 9 months. Sorry to hear that, its tough. I suspect since you came here, you may have already made up your mind and are looking for reassurance. I can only say whatever the decision, I am sure it will be the right one. Don’t beat yourself up too hard, you are in a tough position.

george55057

Talk with your vet about a fho surgery might be a good option.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Sorry about your pup. I hope things work out for you. Our dogs become part of the family and it tears your heart when the time comes to do the last trip to the vet.

blufloyd

I always wanted a alapaha bulldog, but waited toolong and now cancer and diabetes make that pretty impossible. Sorry for your loss. Praying you find a healthy replacement.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Have a 9 month old American Bulldog. He has severe displasia already and I’ve noticed in the last couple days that he is dragging one of his back legs when he walks. He doesn’t look comfortable, and when I went to try and give him a massage he nipped at me. How long would you wait to make the call

One of my bird dogs, a Gordon Setter, developed CHD at only 6 months of age. X-rays showed that both hips had at best 10% socket engagement. By that time, she hand already wormed her way into our lives. However, the cost of a bi-lateral hip replacement, was not something I was willing to consider with an unproven dog. If she had already proven herself as a bird dog, then I would have. A lesser expensive option what a bi-lateral Femoral Head Ostectomy (FHO) where they remove the ball of the femor and as a result the bone on bone contact. The only thing holding the joint together is soft tissues. Given that she was of smaller size, only 34 – 36 pounds, she was well suited for this option. In the three years since, she still has done better than I would have imagined but still gimps up at times due to pushing herself. She hunts but only about an hour and a half a day but she at least gets a taste of the upland life. Everybody’s situation is different, but you may want to consider a similar option as part of your consideration. Good luck whatever you do…it’s a rough spot to be in.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.