Lake Osakis ???

• Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

Living in NE Iowa Lake Osakis would be a doable drive for three day weekends with alexandria for the wife. What’s the general consensus?

Thanks

hop307
    Northern Todd County

What time of year would you be planning or are you looking at getting a seasonal camp site or buying a cabin?

Osakis is a great lake with pretty good opportunities for panfish and walleyes, but don’t over look a shot for a trophy pike either.

Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

I would just like to find a lake in mn that is a resonable drive for a 3 day weekends any time of year and has some decent panfish, northern, and some walleyes in it.

I have a 14 year old boy that will walleye fish, but really just likes to catch fish.

I also like it that there’s a ton of smaller lakes around it.

The deal is when I go fishing I want to catch fish and there’s times on the Mississippi during high dirty water conditions I would just soon drive north to lake and not struggle.

Basicaly looking for a backup plan when the river is tough.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I live in North Central Iowa and have a vacation place in the Lincoln Lakes Area, near Motley MN. Before the kids grew up we would do a weeks vacation, skip a weekend, go up the following weekend through the summer. Worth every minute of the 4 hour drive. Tend to go weeks at a time now, been making the drive for 16 years and only regret the holiday weekends on I94, officially the most congested highway in Minnesota!!

Your biggest issue with deciding to go up for a long weekend is going to be lodging. Most campgrounds that are in popular areas are typically booked for the entire summer by early May. Not sure what your accomadations plans are.

Always worth the drive going up to God’s Country!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Lake Osakis is a very good fishing lake. You also have Alexandria not too far away (15 min drive)for additional lakes, hotels, and anything you forgot to pack.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Osakis is a good fishing lake. Has a lot of the species you are looking for. Alexandria is close with a lot of shopping for your wife if that is what she is looking for. The resorts fill up fairly quick so I wouldn’t wait to long on making your decision. Just don’t come to early, there may still be ice on the lake.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Joe Segura (guide and member) and Deertracker reside up there and I’m sure could offer assistance as well.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

We have been going to Osakis for the last 4 years most years we stay at Holiday and one year we stayed at Head of the Lakes They sometimes have last minute openings very good fishing got some real nice crappies last year Second week of June is good weather sometimes cool just hope the ice is off by then

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.