Heat Gun

• nord

I’m thinking about using a heat gun to heat my jig heads to use with powder paint. My wife would like that better than using her gas stove. Anyone have any thoughts about what brand might be better than other ones. Thanks

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Propane torch will work better. About 3-5 seconds back and forth through the tip of the flame and then dip. A quick pass through after will melt if more and glaze it better if you didn’t get it warm enough the first time. Some guys like to bake them after words for a stronger coating but I personally fish snaggy structure and can’t keep a jig on long enough for durability to matter.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

X 2 on the torch

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I usually use the 1# propane tanks after use in my Buddy heaters and connect to a torch head. Almost always enough gas still in there to run it for a while. Sometimes I just use a candle.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Buy the paint gun from Ace Hardware – if anything goes wrong with it they replace them for free… I’ve used one for powder paint for many years… just put the jig in a forceps and wave it over the top for 3 or 4 passes and it’s good to go. The paint gun rests on the bottom with the nozzle facing up making it all work slick. Don’t hold it over the top for long – the lead will melt into the gun and lock it up! Been there!!! Also – tap the jig head on the edge of the container holding your powder paint after dipping it to knock off any excess. When done with the heat gun turn it off but leave it facing up for 10-15 minutes to cool and it will help it last longer.
    Enjoy!

BBKK
    IA

I bought a master mechanic one. Will never use a torch again… its so quick and easy… and no risk of melting a jig.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

A little tip that helps a lot- take a toothpick and stir the powder. This kind of aerates it and fluffs it up and the jig slides in easier.

briansmude

What chuckles said but mine is a werner and I use a clear topcoat with glitter. Just dip in second jar right after they color jar. Temp is crucial when double dipping and that is way easier to achieve with heatgun. And I always bake in my old toaster oven.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

X10 on the torch.

If you are melting jigs with a torch your heat is too high and/or your applying the heat too long.

I have done 1000’s of jigs with a torch and have NEVER melted one ! I can powder paint approximately 1000-1200 jigs on one tank.(1lb)

For curing jigs use a toaster oven , cheap and works well.. they have temp,Function and a timer.

Here is what I use for small quantities.

toaster oven

JMHO Jeff

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use both. As stated above, I use the gun from Ace and they have replaced mine at N/C already Regardless of torch or heat gun, its just a matter of having your system down and crank them out! For doing blades, I like the heat gun better than a torch. As for jigs, either one works fine

Sorry, just re-read your post. I assume your referring to curing them with a torch. Oven! I have a George Foreman convection toaster oven that works awesome. If you read the curing time of different powders, (400 @ 10 minutes) they are referring to the metal temperature and not the surface of the powder. The paint will adhere best when the metal temp reaches 400 – THEN 10 minutes. Harder to do with a torch or heat gun to cure properly. If you don’t care how well they cure, then it doesn’t matter

nord

Thanks everyone for your input.

Bassn Dan

Quote:

I bought a master mechanic one. Will never use a torch again… its so quick and easy… and no risk of melting a jig.

A heat gun can melt leadheads on higher settings and it will short out the heat gun if it drips into it.

Another option is to use the same toaster oven or convection oven that you cure your jigs for heating them for dipping. Easy to adjust the temp or preheat time to get a consistant finish from jig to jig.

ses
    Mississippi River

Quote:

A little tip that helps a lot- take a toothpick and stir the powder. This kind of aerates it and fluffs it up and the jig slides in easier.

Heat gun from Harbor Freight $7, works like a charm. Powder paint needs to be fluffed to allowed a clean smooth finish, check out a fluid bed for fluffing….simple easy build for about $20. Toaster oven to harden paint and you have an indestructible jig. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SrQzk2B22w

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.