Where do you get wallets and belts that LAST?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

OK, so this frustration with cheap leather goods has been building for some time.

Everything leather I buy, belts, wallets, etc now in various department stores, etc, seems to be made out of cheap, “reconstitued” leather. So it falls apart within a few months. This cr@p says “genuine leather”, but I think it’s cheap ground up leather pressed into shape and then coverd with vinyl to make it look good.

I go through 2-3 belts a year, a wallet every year, it’s all the same problem.

The last straw was that I bought a new “Genuine Leather” wallet 3 weeks ago and paid almost $40 for it. And I look today and it’s got a freaking hole in it where a seam has split because the cheap “reconstituted” leather is so thin. What a POS.

Where can I get REAL leather goods that are 100% leather with NO reconstitued sh!# and NO viynal or pleather? The only thing I’ve had that lasts are Filson belts, but I like to have different syles and Filson doesn’t make a reversable belt, which is very handy for travel.

Where else can I get some freaking QUALITY?
    Thanks.

Grouse

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Good luck with the search. The WalMart mentality of “cheaper, cheaper, cheaper” has made quality a thing of the past.

As far as the wallet goes….. maybe if it wasn’t stuffed so full?

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I bought my last belt in Branson MO from a small leather shop who made them. It has basket weave pattern and is solid leather it is going on its 5th year. He said it was a favorite of the local police and conceal crowd. I paid $75 and its been worth it and yes it does support weight of a carry gun or my .357 gp100 hunting. He also made wallets. I cannot find a receipt. My father may be going in the fall and I am having him look for the shop again to get another belt just to have one in case this one wears out. I had gone through many as you had. If he finds the shop I will post name.

Mwal

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Go to a leather smith. Not to hard to find. There is a good one here in Alma. You can expect to pay more but a quality belt will more than make up for it. I have one that is still usable after 40 + years.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Grouse; I’ve gotten a few from Tractor supply that have lasted longer than most. You might check them out.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Grouse,

MY Dad said name of shop is Sunrise Leather Works Branson MO
    no website. There has to be a similar shop that makes belts in the Twin Cities. If you do let us know.

Mwal

BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

Filson leather wallets are pricy but wear like iron.

bluewing
    North Iowa

Quality products from Filson. Not cheap but very durable.

Good luck

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

When you buy a belt you have to see if it is split leather. IF that’s the case it will make a serviceable belt for dressware. If you want a belt that lasts get it from a leather shop or stores that sell genuine leather products. Thus more money at first, but will outlast split leather 10x.

smoke grub

my last belt came from a kiosk in the Mall of America.. and its well over 20 years old.. I don’t know if the guy is still there but thats were I went.. and it was hard to find a belt for a big moose like me..

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

Western stores usually have good stuff, I end up throwing my wallet away not necessarily because they wear out just want a new one. Last one I had lasted 15 years. Belts, same thing or just make sure you are buying real solid leather, not that veneer leather.

iowaeye

I bought a Columbia leather wallet 10 years ago. I’m still using it today. Nothing has ripped either. I think it maybe cost 40$.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My last one (wallet) came from Cabelas… not sure who made it but, it’s going on 9 years. It is in my pocket everyday and comes out way too often as far as I am concerned (it has a fish embossed in the leather on the front)

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Good luck with the search. The WalMart mentality of “cheaper, cheaper, cheaper” has made quality a thing of the past.

As far as the wallet goes….. maybe if it wasn’t stuffed so full?

I think the problem is that there are to many hands in it…Dayton,Obama,Congress

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

From the guy at the Northwest Sports show. No idea who he even was. Had a booth full of belts, wallets and some other leather goods. Seem to remember the prices where very good. I picked up some pretty heavy work belts with nice stamping on them. Think they could double for tow straps if needed.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Might of been this guy at the show. Found this on the NW sport show list of exhibits. That guy seem to know his way around a mans waist.

Genuine Leather
    P.O. Box 3423
    Chattanooga TN 37404

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Get a wallet from Coach. I just looked at the wallet my wife got for me 10+ years ago, and it’s a Coach. This wallet has been in my back pocket almost daily, been washed at least 5 times, and it’s still in good condition. No holes, really not much of any wear the through the surface of the leather Until today I didn’t know who made it, but I would definitely recommend it!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Holy crap. I get a belt and wallet about once every 3 years? I just get them from department stores.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Speaking of wallets… don’t know if it matters as far as longevity, but I like Tri-folds over Bi-folds

blackbay

Quote:

That guy seem to know his way around a mans waist.

Um…yea…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Anyway I’ve noticed the same thing with belts lately. Junk!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I have a Columbia Leather trifold that’s had about 288 lbs on it for several years and looks great! (the wallet that is )

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Check out Tumi wallets, they have a store in the MoA and Galleria in Edina. I’ve had a money clip that’s a combo of leather and ballistic nylon for 8 years and the leather is now just starting to fray. They are pricey, but if you only need one every 5-10 years that bill looks a lot cheaper. I highly recommend anything Tumi makes.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

From one of this sites sponsors,

Mills Fleet Farm!

gary d
    cordova,il

Believe it or not but, I bought my wallet at a office supply co. It was a small day planner. It had all the slots that I wanted and a few hided one’s. I carry it in my front pocket.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.