Garage Heater

• glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Planning ahead for the new garage and will have a garage heater in it.

Is it worth spending the extra money for Hot Dawg or does the Beacon/Moris brand from Mendards accomplish the same thing?

Thanks!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I put a Beacon Moris from Menards in my garage a few months ago – So far it’s been flawless. Quiet and heats my garage well.

That said, it’s my first hanging garage heater so I have nothing to compare it to.

Pete

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

is it out of the question to think about heating the floor ? If I was starting over on a garage that would be my choice.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I have a Mr. Heater 75K in the garage at the house for about 7+ years now and a Hot Dawg in the garage at the cabin for the same time. Both have worked great without an issue, the mr. Heater sees a lot more use. The extra money for the Hot Dawg is not worth it IMO. We went with the Hot Dawg at the cabin because our heating guy that services and maintains everything there deals with them.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I’ve had the Hot Dawg for 8 years and my buddy has the look-a-like. Mine has been flawless and his has been nothing but trouble. He purchased his at our local L&M Fleet not sure of his brand but I think it was a MR. Heater. Looks identical on the outside as my Hot Dawg. Take it for what its worth.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I have two Hot Dawgs a 45K that I bought new 10 years ago and a 75K that I bought used eight years ago. The used unit has been flawless. The one I bought new I have had to replace to replace the main board twice! Go figure. the difference in their use has been that in the garage with the new unit I have done quite a bit of woodwork. The boards must be sensitive to sawdust and/or varnish/paint fumes. No way to tell…

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

is it out of the question to think about heating the floor ? If I was starting over on a garage that would be my choice.

+1

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hot Dawg 75K 14 years. Flawless.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I hung a Beacon-Morris 45K unit back in January, and am very pleased with it. With the standard power exhaust, I vented out a sidewall, and eliminated putting a hole in the roof.

HRG

darrin_bauer
    Inactive
    Menomonie Wi.

Built a new garage last year with in floor heat, set it at 60 degrees and it is very energy efficient on propane.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Another option is radiant electric under floor system. It runs over night during off peak hours. Not sure if it can be installed under a garage floor but it works awesome in my in laws basement living space. It cuts their gas heating bill nearly in half being the sand it is bedded in radiates the heat during the day. Likke I said though not sure if it can be placed under a garage floor. If you do a lot of putzing and tend to work on or near the floor a warm floor would be nice!

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and responses, much appreciated.

Once the garage is done in June, I’ll share some pics.

Thanks!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

FYI – I noticed in a number of pictures from the last couple years that a few guys are using appliance flex hoses for their gas connections. I didn’t look to see where anyone was from, but many states or local codes require the gas line to be hard piped to a furnace – NO FLEX HOSES. So be sure to verify what is required in your state or local municipality. Sure would be a crappy situation if you had an epic failure and the insurance company wouldn’t cover because of a code violation.
    Codes vary and I obviously don’t know them for everywhere. Just make sure your doing it right

Nitrodog

x2 on Randy’s comment

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

FYI – I noticed in a number of pictures from the last couple years that a few guys are using appliance flex hoses for their gas connections. I didn’t look to see where anyone was from, but many states or local codes require the gas line to be hard piped to a furnace – NO FLEX HOSES. So be sure to verify what is required in your state or local municipality. Sure would be a crappy situation if you had an epic failure and the insurance company wouldn’t cover because of a code violation.
    Codes vary and I obviously don’t know them for everywhere. Just make sure your doing it right

Randy,
    Thanks for the heads-up. My community uses the IFGC (International Fuel and Gas Code) 2009 edition, based on thier description of “appliance” and the use of CSST (corrugated stainless) I think I’m within compliance.

HRG

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Pete, how did your unit perform this season?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.