Shower Drain Leak

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Bathroom in the basement, I believe it started this morning, after two showers were taken. I found this product on the interwebs to make the replacement:

WingTite

Anybody used something like this, is there anything better?

Also, the water that got out is now under a small portion of a wood laminate floor in the adjacent bedroom. The floor was laid over concrete with the foam fabric underneath, and has “squishy” sound when walked on. Does that floor need to be pulled out now and redone, or is there any chance I will dodge the bullet and the water will magically disappear on its’ own?

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Dan, this will work fine, but a big IF added.
    If your sewer has a tendecy to back up, it does not appear that it makes a seal at the bottom end going into the sewer end.
    It should work fine and is kind of neat how it is tightened into place.
    Showers come in all sizes and materials, from cheapie ones and very expensive ones made of stainless steel.
    I am wondering if the shower is stable or if it moves or flexes to make it leak.
    If this is happening this problem may return in a matter of time.
    Just my thoughts on this.
    I have spent 34 years doing piping and plumbing work.

Best to ya,

Roger

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think Ive seen those before but never used one. Not sure where you would even get one. That Oring seal looks like it might hold for a while but who knows how long. Doesnt seem like much to seal the connection to me.

My 1st question would be if the shower was properly installed in the 1st place. I see so many that are up on frames, over floor drains and who knows what.

As far as that water under the floor my guess would be that the floor needs to come up. At that point might just as well pull the shower and fix it right.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Think Ive seen those before but never used one. Not sure where you would even get one. That Oring seal looks like it might hold for a while but who knows how long. Doesnt seem like much to seal the connection to me.

My 1st question would be if the shower was properly installed in the 1st place. I see so many that are up on frames, over floor drains and who knows what.

As far as that water under the floor my guess would be that the floor needs to come up. At that point might just as well pull the shower and fix it right.

What he said.

Pull the shower and do it right. I pulled a shower on a bath replacement the other day and the previous homeowner had installed a aluminum roasting pan in the joist space to catch the water leak, then sold the home.

Do it right once, and don’t have to worry about doing it again.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Wood/laminate are 2 different things. Either way doesn’t look good, assuming its a laminate once those things get wet the fiberboard/compressed board they are made of are always shot. If its an engineered wood it might dry back to normal, but not likely, and better off taking the section out and cleaning up what got underneath. That water could have spread quite a ways out without notice. Typically below grade theres a 6mil poly underneath the foam, so if it just is underneath the poly it may have a chance at salvaging.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Do it right once, and don’t have to worry about doing it again.

Or, put a pan under it, sell the place, and don’t worry about doing it again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.