Cabelas agm battery thoughts.

• Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Hi guys , I know this has been talked about a lot through the years. I,m just wondering what your thoughts on the agm battery sold at cableas stores. I,m running a 24 volt system with a 80 pound terrova. Looking to find what quality and if agm are worth the extra price.

Thanks for all your input on these batteries.

From Jeff

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

Hi guys , I know this has been talked about a lot through the years. I,m just wondering what your thoughts on the agm battery sold at cableas stores. I,m running a 24 volt system with a 80 pound terrova. Looking to find what quality and if agm are worth the extra price.

Thanks for all your input on these batteries.

From Jeff

I purchased a pair last spring. So far, they are excellent. I know that is a very limited time frame so hopefully others will chime in with more.

JoeMX1825
    MN

never had a problem with them, had them for years…Just make sure to keep them topped off in the winter months…

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have not had them but the few people I have talked to that did never had anything bad to say about them. If they are at all close to an optima in quality, I had really good luck with those when I ran them. Have been running interstates the last 6 years without any problems.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

While I cannot comment on the Cabelas AGM, I have been running the Sears Diehard version for years with good success. The AGM are really a good product, run a long time and while I plug in the charger once a month in the winter, they are always fully charged, based on the onboard charger lights.

I am going to upgrade to a 24 Volt bow mount this spring and will be taking a look at the Cabelas AGM. I would take a serious look at the reviews for these batteries on the Cabelas website, seems like a good place to start.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I replaced my Interstate batteries that ran my 36V Terrova last year, and am now running the Sears Platinum version AGM’s. With all the high water and fast current last year, I had a couple incidents where I had two half-day trips. The batteries were fine for an A.M. trip, but would peter out halfway through the P.M. trip (not really fair to the second trip folks)

The positive: Changing to the Sears Platinum version extended my run time on my Terrova big time! They are an Odyssey battery without the Odyssey price tag. Fantastic performance.

The Negative: They are absurdly heavy! They weigh an additional 75 Lbs more than the Interstate batteries did. They live in the back of my boat, and that absolutely changed the way my boat handled and got on plane. I had to add a whale tail to counteract the additional weight, and that did effectively solve the problem. New Ranger 620’s have the batteries in the floor (where they belong) but one of those is currently not in the budget….

Trapper16
    Lakeville, MN

I have had amazing results with fleet farm batteries, use them a lot and get 2.5-3 yrs out of them. My opinion is you can’t beat them @ $ 80

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Thanks everyone , went to my brothers today to look at my batteries and they are 7 years old and still hung in there last year for pulling cranks for awhile. When they got tired I would troll with the electris with the wind and come back through the same are with the 90 four stroke into the wind.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’ve had 2 of the Cabelas AGM group 31s for 4 years now and they are absolutely fabulous. These are 1500 CCA, yes not a typo, and I run my Terrova 80 with them all day and have huge amounts of reserve left. 2nd best part about these is there is no corrosion at the terminals and I leave them in the boat all year. Out in the cold garage now and they will be ready to go in the Spring.
    I’ll probably go see Dean at Skeeter Boat Center when these finally give out, but right now don’t know when that might be.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

I’ll probably go see Dean at Skeeter Boat Center when these finally give out, but right now don’t know when that might be.

Now there is a guy that I like!
    When the batteries give out it is time to go shopping for a new boat!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.