Blade Baits

• Zach H

I have been doing some research lately on blade baits and I am wondering if these baits are mainly a river bait or can they be used in lakes as well. Is there a special structure that people focus on when using these baits? I personally have never fished with them before, but I would love to start using them and from what I understand, it takes a lot of practice to master these baits. I would love to hear from you guys that use these baits on a regular basis and give me some pointers on the types of structures and bodies of water you have used these baits. I would ultimately would love to fish with someone that has a lot of experience fishing with these, but I have yet to find anyone that I know of that uses these baits a lot. I’m excited to hear what you guys have to say and hopefully your knowledge will help me understand the basics of fishing these lures.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Easy to fish once you grasp the idea that less is more. Most people over work them and either snag fish or come up empty. The idea is to work them with a medium or medium lite with a fast or X-fast tip. You only want to (normally) lift them fast enough to get the vibration, then follow them down.

As for locations – I use them almost everywhere – rivers, lakes, ponds…. Both open water and ice. I do have a preference for humps and isolated rock bars for structure which these bass came from. Also, don’t over look working a liples crank the exact same way you would a blade bait.

Forgot to mention, use blades as a crank bait also.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I’ve caught just about everything on them, it just takes a little practice and a locking snap not a swivel snap and whatever you do dont use them trolling

Zach H

Thanks for posting that video. After all the video I have watched I cant believe that I didn’t run across this one. Don’t know about the rest of you guys but I have been resorting back to open water fishing videos online just to keep me out of the state hospital. This winter is driving me crazy, but its videos like these that keep me calm for a short period of time before I have to strum up another video.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

They work anywhere but when fish are grouped up. Not a good search bait. There is also some good info on walleye central on the topic too.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

They work anywhere but when fish are grouped up. Not a good search bait. There is also some good info on walleye central on the topic too.

We use them a lot as search baits on Lake Superior and Lake Michigan (Green Bay). They cast a mile and pause them in short hops like a lipless crank…I like a longer med action casting rod and 12# fluoro…This is a nice blade Brown I caught fishing with Randy Weiland…

redrnger

I use them all the time on Lake Wisconsin both verticule jigging,trolling and casting.On fishing verticule do not snap it up but, use a lift where you feel the vibration but not slack in line at top of lift or the lure will flip and catch your line with the hooks on the drop.Keep line tight on drop and stop it right above bottom as stopping it laying on bottom will tangle it up to and you spend more time untangling than fishing.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

When buying blades look for the ones with out split rings on the hooks like the BFishin, less tangles. I use blades all year long usually the first thing I throw for searching wingdams, any rock structure, sand flats. I can cover water and just about every fish will hit them. I have become very fond of Tweeners for search bait. There isn`t a fish including Crappies and Sunnies that will eat them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.