Truck Tires

• rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Need to replace my tires on a chev avalanche,Came with Hankook dynapro atm’s on it that are worthless in my opinion for snow and ice. Any suggestions/experiences for this size truck would be appreciated. I also pull the boat with tandem axle trailer a lot so highway miles are an issue too.

tripjorgen
    NESD

I have good year wrangler duratrax. They are a little spendy but they are great in snow and mud. They are a 10-ply tire. The local game fish and parks also use this tire

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Firestone Destination AT

Best tire I’ve owned so far. Surprisingly quiet for an AT, and winter traction you wouldn’t believe. I have 50k on mine so far and would consider at least 1 more full winter on them.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Well, you do have options.
    You never mention so leaves one to figure you have the standard issue 265/70-17’s.?
    I have an F150 that came with 255/60-18 perrelli atx. For my purposes, they $ucked. Rode hard, not much for traction either, so I know what your saying.
    *Legally, you can go up 2 sizes. Going two will put your speedo off about 2mph….if your used to driving the speed limit, you’ll never have a problem.
    I bought some Kelly tires. Went to a 275/65-18….WOW changed everything. Love the traction, handling, and the ride improved 100%….
    http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/
    good luck.

Michelle1969
    NULL

I use BFG all terrain, they are ok in the snow but I need to get new ones after 33k. I rotate every oil change (5k). Would I buy them again, no.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Michelle1969
    On a previous truck I also had BFG’s. Great traction, but I agree, they just wore to fast. I also thought they sang with plenty of road noise….haven’t had them since….

I mentioned above having the Kelly tire right now. 20+K on them right not and looking great.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Michelle Ltd ms. I am about 80k miles per set. Love them!

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Wow and I have the Hankoks and I love them. Then again I was coming from the GY SRA’s. Toyos are good also.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Check out cooper zeon ltz they’ve been good for me so far 40 k so far good in all seasons. Good luck

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Quote:

x2

I blew it and got michelin at2’s nice looking tire but poor traction on snow and ice,on my 07′ duramax.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

I have good year wrangler duratrax. They are a little spendy but they are great in snow and mud. They are a 10-ply tire. The local game fish and parks also use this tire

x2 I ran 80k with Duratrax on f150, could have got 10k more but were getting thin for snow and lake travel. I moved away from them as my truck had 225k miles and didnt want to drop that much and have the truck break down before I wore out the tires. I am regretting not buying them again. As long as I can get them I will run them from now on. Love the tire.

mike ice

Michlen LTX MS2. Expensive but I’ll buy another set when these wear out or if they ever wear out.

dbright
    Cambridge

Quote:

I’m a Nitto Terra Grappler kind of guy: http://www.nittotire.com/

+1 I am on my second set of these with the first set having over 80,000 and still had decent tread left. Price is less then most big name brand tires.

mud

Quote:

Michlen LTX MS2. Expensive but I’ll buy another set when these wear out or if they ever wear out.

X3 oh man I could not have put a better tire on my super duty than these. Excellent traction in snow, wear, and ride. Buy em.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I ran Firestones Transforce for the last 45k miles and they are a good summer tire but they SUCK in the winter. Put on Cooper AT3’s this last November and boy what a difference. Very quite, 10 times the traction in snow and guess what… they are made in the USA!

So far absolutely love the tires. Also they get great reviews by other fisherman on many sites.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

just love the auto correct

mike_v
    carver Mn

These are what came with my avalanche, I put 80k on the first set mostly highway miles pulling the boat. Just put another set on.
    web page

maurice

have run 2 sets of the firestone destination over 100k each set and only changed account winter coming–this being on a f150==good luck

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I put a set of Cooper Dicoverer AT/3s on my truck a year and a half ago and couldnt be happier with em. They’re barely worn and have great traction.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got General Grabber HTS on my Sequoia. I was happy with them for two years. This is my third winter with them, and while they still have good tread on them, they’re sucking in the snow and ice this year (they did well the previous two winters).

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Michelin tire LTX MS2 on my Duromax, great tire so far.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I don’t know that mine are anything special, Bridgestone Dueler AT’s (265/65 R18) on my silverado (came on from factory), but I have no complaints. In a storm the other week I did manage to find a stretch of township road that even in 4wd I was sliding around, but no real traction issues otherwise. I rotate every other oil change (6000-7000 miles) and with 49k on the truck they still have a lot of tread left.

Interesting topic as my wife just replaced tires on here Traverse, 2 years newer than my truck but only about 8k less miles (so she is about at 41000) and they were shot too, goodyear Fortera’s I think, 255/65 R18’s. Was kind of surprising to see the difference in tread wear, though hers did start life out as a lease and I know she drives harder than I do. DOn’t recall what we put on for new ones.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Thanks for all the input you guys , Now all I have to do is make a decision with all the info.
    I have ran Bridgestone and Michelin on other trucks and my favorite was the old bridgestone duelers that were recalled years ago and have heard through the rumor mill the replacements were not of the same quality and never used them since.Michelin model I tried on my Tahoe were great for mud and mild weather traction but seemed to never work well in sub freezing temps, May have been that tread design. May have to give the goodyear or firestone a try this time.Always pushing the 4 high button at intersections is getting old so need to try something soon.

josh_holliday
    Oxford, Wi

Quote:

Check out cooper zeon ltz they’ve been good for me so far 40 k so far good in all seasons. Good luck

x2 I own my shop and these are on my Ram. I pull a 19′ boat all summer and they are great in the winter. for my 20″ they were $220 per but I will get them again when they are worn out.

mustfish

I also have Cooper AT3’s on my truck. My mechanic sells lots of tires to lots of his customers (owns a small service station) and he told me about them. They have been great in the snow and ice this winter.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.