Driving On Lakes For Fun

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is a bad idea. I even got stuck with 4WD on, although I probably could use a new set of tires.

I drove out on the lake yesterday and just as I am getting ready to set up a guy comes over and asks if I had a strap to help pull him off the lake. This guy drove his sedan wagon hybrid out onto the lake. My guess is that he saw all the vehicles out there and though it might be fun to take his family for their first ride on the ice. He obviously did no notice that all the vehicles were trucks.

We eventually helped push the car. Another young fisherman (perhaps an IDOer?) was helping him. We eventually were able to move the car back onto the “road”, despite the front wheel drive (1 wheel). I think he learned his lesson. I wonder if he will put 2 and 2 together when his transmission breaks down or his engine block cracks.

acafisherman19

I saw some genius come flying through a flowage doing about 40 in a Prius between some shacks the other day. I watched the woman the whole way, she drove on at one landing and tore across and got off at a different one. Maybe she didn’t know her shortcut was over the river channel, but she made it anyway. Something else to see though.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Two years ago when we had really solid ice on a big lake (Lake Geneva) in the area it was a non stop “we just gotta do it thing”. The lake is next to a huge tourism area, and the boat landing is right in the middle of it. We parked out a ways to unload the atv and travel out to ice fish. The landing was nice and smooth, and so many visitors had never seen cars parking on the ice. They would stop at shore and walk out twenty feet for a photo… then get the confidence to drive the vehicles out for a photo. It was a regular traffic line on and off. Actually pretty cool seeing so many people find it amazing that you could do that on ice. Everyone was polite, and the non-stop line just came on, drove a small loop and back off.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Never, ever underestimate the stupidity of your fellow man

I should probably amend this by saying that when I was in high school I got my 1987 LeBaron stuck on Long Lake in New Brighton, so first hand experience, you kow…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I beat you by 15 or so years Doug.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

Last year i was fishing on the north end of lake menomin a couple hundred yards from the bridge when a car drove up the channel to within 50ft of open water. There were caution signs up warning of open water. The car drove over by me stopped rolled down the window and the lady with her young daughter says “Do you know how i can get to TainterLake ?” The lake is seperated by a river and a dam and she wastrying to drive there. I told her how to get there driving on the road and how lucky her and her daughter didn’t go thru the ice because i had drilled where she drove earlier and it was max 6″ thick. Crazy people!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There is a flow age just north of.me that has a race track on it. When I was a teenager, we ran studded tires on our yz 250’s and had a blast racing bikes on the ice. One of these days I want to do the car races on the ice

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

we ran studded tires on our yz 250’s

We didn’t know what studded tires were.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Back then it was spelled ‘tyres’ and they were made of wood, right?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

and they were square.

LOL! Now you’re getting me confused with RRR.

saugerslayer

Quote:

I saw some genius come flying through a flowage doing about 40 in a Prius between some shacks the other day. I watched the woman the whole way, she drove on at one landing and tore across and got off at a different one. Maybe she didn’t know her shortcut was over the river channel, but she made it anyway. Something else to see though.

Theres a small lake near where I live and every year someone goes through. They drive over a pressure ridge that forms in the same area year after year and they can’t figure out why they go through.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Theres a small lake near where I live and every year someone goes through. They drive over a pressure ridge that forms in the same area year after year and they can’t figure out why they go through.

Must get expensive for that guy. You’d think he’d learn by now.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

There is a flow age just north of.me that has a race track on it. When I was a teenager, we ran studded tires on our yz 250’s and had a blast racing bikes on the ice. One of these days I want to do the car races on the ice

Cold cutter screws in kenda tires on an xr 600, I could get her to just over 100mph on ice…20 years ago, the only thing faster than that bike is time. I could buy the bike back, but not the time.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Cold cutter screws in kenda tires on an xr 600, I could get her to just over 100mph on ice…20 years ago, the only thing faster than that bike is time. I could buy the bike back, but not the time.

I used to do that with my yamaha TT 600. Never had more fun. Nothing like hearing those big single cylinder 4 strokes thump away. Took everything I had to get it started, even with the compression release. I still can’t believe my parents let me buy that thing.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I spend my winter weekends on the ice at races in Central WI… this is still one of the better photos we have had in the mag I publish, and this is with the shorter screws available.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

That sir looks like a hellava lotta fun! Where do you race? Is there a circuit?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That’s about a millimeter from one hell of a slide

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Look you guys, this is about naive people driving on the ice like it is some sort of safe recreational activity and you’ve turned it into some crazy thrill seeker thread.

I don’t go around hijacking your threads…or do I?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I don’t go around hijacking your threads…or do I?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.