Beginner Boat

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I know its January and few if any of us are thinking about open water but I know a lot of you are very experienced when it comes open water fishing and boating so I am hoping that you can help me.

This spring I am very seriously considering finally buying a boat, but I know next to nothing about handling a boat or boat control. I won’t be able to spend over about $2K but I want to get the best boat I can for that price. For a beginner what would you guys recommend, length, features, etc. I want something that will fish the glacial lakes of SD and be easy to control.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

This should work well for a beginners first boat.

I think BK started out in one of these.

Maybe he has a used one he can sell you.

All in good fun! Congrats and good luck with your first boat.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

This should work well for a beginners first boat.
    I think BK started out in one of these.
    Maybe he has a used one he can sell you.

All in good fun! Congrats and good luck with your first boat.

you know what that would be PERFECT. BK what kind of price do you want for your old one???

carver
    West Metro

I started out of a 14 foot lund with a 6hp and a 36lb trolling motor.

The only thing that concerned me was the wind.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

$2k is a pretty no-frills budget, but with enough shopping you should be able to get something serviceable.

I’d focus on 14-16 foot v-hulls, 15-25 HP. Personally, I’d prefer an open cockpit with pedestal seats, but that may be hard to find in your price range. I’d also look at 16 foot models with bench seats like the old Lund Sportsman and similar.

Also, keep in mind that the WORST time to be looking for a used boat in most places is from April 1 to a few weeks after the fishing opener. That’s when every guy in your position is looking, so competition is insane for good boats and the sellers know that they can get over-the-top prices because of desperate buyers all jacked up to get a boat “before the opener”.

Take your time and you can get more boat.

Grouse

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Some might disagree but I would also look for a bunk style trailer they are easier to get on and off by yourself or in general if you are not familar with loading. Boat control will come with time on the water.

tbrooks11

Ive got an ’83 lund with an old johnson 40 horse. Doesnt sound like much but it runs like a champ and does the job!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

There’s one in the classifieds on IDO right now that would be perfect for you, and exactly at your price!

FryDog62

Glacial Lakes = shallow, wind blown, can be rough. I went there 2 years ago with a 16 foot tiller but not a real deep V. Got down the lake when it was calm in the morning….winds picked up and almost sunk several times on the way back.

I have since sold that boat and bought a fiberglass Yar-craft, same size, but one with a tougher hull and deeper V. You don’t need to buy a YC but consider a deep V that can withstand a pounding. There are some older 16 foot Lunds out there that may fit the bill.

Price is your issue though… to get that V hull may not be so bad, but to get it with a relaible trailer that can get you there/back and a motor that starts. $2k will be tough but look around locally on Craigs List. May even want to contact Fisherman’s Cove bait shop in Webster, SD… the owner is a great guy and may know of a farmer with an old boat to sell out there.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Quote:

I know its January and few if any of us are thinking about open water but

I am always thinking about open water.
    I have to work all day at my business looking at my 620 undercovers. Enough to make a grown man cry

Good luck with your venture. 1st boat… awesome

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I would also say since your price range is pretty low, shop around for the best bang for your buck. I have seen some steals for under 2000.00.

Also, invest in a cheap compression tester. You are probably going to buy a boat with an older motor, and testing compression on an old motor’s cylinders up front will save you a ton of grief down the road.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you know absolutely nothing about boating you should find a way to learn prior to launching your own boat. Do they have boater safety courses out there like they do here? Not just for kids.

FryDog62

I would echo the compression check… or possibly consider buying your motor from a dealer that at least offers a 30 day warranty… I know Hallberg’s does but others I’m sure do too. That way if you acquire someone else’s POS they might at least try to fix it for you. Hopefully they gave it the thorough check before taking it in on trade to prevent taking on an expensive headache…for either them or you.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Find a older 14 or 16′ deep and wide aluminium boat with a 15hp evinrude 2 stroke engine. Pull start. Throw on a cheap transom mount 12 volt trolling motor, Inexpensive depth finder or use your winter flasher. Maybe a ap for you phone for GPS. Battery operated boat lights. Just hit up garage sales for the extras like anchor, life jackets, ect. Keep it simple on the 1st one.

Look over the trailer on the boat. If it looks home made or rigged up it most likely is. The 1st one I ever bought a older buddy of mine tells me “I know exactly why you bought that trailer. It because you didnt know any better.”

Keep your 1st boat simple and it will be a great one to learn on.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

X2 – The 2 biggest walleyes I ever caught came from an old 1950 something 14ft aluminium boat with a 15hp tiller. Still have that boat today.

Whatever you do – don’t buy an old Tri-Hull.

Pete

Northeast MPLS

The Lund Pike from the 70’s are good solid boats that are small enough for ease of handling, but deep enough for big water. My first boat was a 1975 of this type w/ a 50 H.P. tiller. Think I paid a bit over $2000 for it 12-13 yrs ago.
    Simplicity is bliss! 14-16 ft boats with something around a 25 h.p. motor should be within your range. I think fall is the best time for used boat shopping w/ this time of year being second best.
    I second what Mike said about trailer, check for any craks or weak spots that may cause problems down the road. Nothing worse than being sidelined w/ a perfectly good boat because of trailer problems.
    Good luck.

red89
    Hudson

Try to get a 16 foot v-hull with a 30 horse or bigger. Boat I sold this last spring for $2,200 was a 16.5 v-hull with 40 horse evinrude and all the options you need to get started. Lots of guys want way too much for boats like that, but you will find one eventually. Probably looking at late 80’s early 90’s at best.

scmelik
    South Dakota

thanks everyone. I know 2000 isn’t much but thats what I am going to have for a budget and I figure for a first boat I probably shouldn’t go out and break the bank on something.

I have been looking at a few 16-17 foot lund Mr. Pikers and a few other models, I like the idea of a side counsel better than a walk through windshield or a tiller but I am not completely opposed to either. My biggest concern is getting something that is either to small or to big (if thats possible) to handle the winds here in SD and still be able to control things. With any luck I will be able to find something to fit my needs by this spring, I’m sick of my fishing getting cut to zero once the walleye move shallow as the summer moves on.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

Whatever you do – don’t buy an old Tri-Hull.

Pete

AMEN to that
    I started with a 14′ Sylvan/25hp rude. Had a cooler conversion for a livewell. I picked up a new 18 lund Alaskan as my first new boat. Put a 40 Mag Mariner on it and got thousands of hours from it. Next to my fiberglass boats, that Alaskan was the best aluminum boat I ever owned. The bow was a little blunt for the 3-5 foot SE waves on Lake MI and rain gear was a must for the wet ride in. Otherwise, handled awesome and I could launch it nearly anywhere short of a carry-in

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I have been looking at a few 16-17 foot lund Mr. Pikers and a few other models, I like the idea of a side counsel better than a walk through windshield or a tiller but I am not completely opposed to either. My biggest concern is getting something that is either to small or to big (if thats possible) to handle the winds here in SD and still be able to control things.

Do NOT get talked into the bigger=better mentality. Safe boat handling is not just about size. Even a 14 foot v-hull can safely be out in very large waves IF you know how to handle it.

I know those glacial lakes well and you will be just fine with a 16 footer. There is no need to overkill it, it will just cause you problems that you don’t need as you learn to handle the boat.

16 foot aluminum v-hull, I’d personally say go tiller and keep it simple. As others have said pay attention to the trailer as a bad, busted up, poorly maintained trailer will cause you endless hassle and more hassle with trailer = less time fishing.

One final word. I strongly recommend you avoid fiberglass boats as a beginner. Now I know the fiberglass boats have fans, but for a beginner with a slim budget there are just too many things that can go wrong. Fiberglass boats have specific problems with rot, blistering, and other issues that can be VERY difficult to see and impossible to fix. Just too many things that can go wrong. Aluminum is simple, if it looks straight AND if it keeps the water out, it’s good to go. This is not true with fiberglass.

Grouse

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Quote:

I have been looking at a few 16-17 foot lund Mr. Pikers and a few other models, I like the idea of a side counsel better than a walk through windshield or a tiller but I am not completely opposed to either. My biggest concern is getting something that is either to small or to big (if thats possible) to handle the winds here in SD and still be able to control things.

Do NOT get talked into the bigger=better mentality. Safe boat handling is not just about size. Even a 14 foot v-hull can safely be out in very large waves IF you know how to handle it.

I know those glacial lakes well and you will be just fine with a 16 footer. There is no need to overkill it, it will just cause you problems that you don’t need as you learn to handle the boat.

16 foot aluminum v-hull, I’d personally say go tiller and keep it simple. As others have said pay attention to the trailer as a bad, busted up, poorly maintained trailer will cause you endless hassle and more hassle with trailer = less time fishing.

One final word. I strongly recommend you avoid fiberglass boats as a beginner. Now I know the fiberglass boats have fans, but for a beginner with a slim budget there are just too many things that can go wrong. Fiberglass boats have specific problems with rot, blistering, and other issues that can be VERY difficult to see and impossible to fix. Just too many things that can go wrong. Aluminum is simple, if it looks straight AND if it keeps the water out, it’s good to go. This is not true with fiberglass.

Grouse

Grouse,

that is exactly what I don’t want to do. I want to make a decision that is going to be best for me according to my budget and needs. I just haven’t quite figured out what is best for me yet HAHA.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.