Any Serious Golfers out there?

• scmelik
    South Dakota

Ya I know its January nobody is thinking about golf with all of the great ice fishing going on. Is there anyone out here that is a serious golfer? My dad and I are thinking about taking a trip to Golfsmith and getting our current clubs custom fit with new shafts, I am just curious as to whether or not its worth the price. Right now I am a 2-3 handicap when my game is at its best 5-6 when its not. My irons are Ping Eye 2s (yup they are that old haha) and I hit them great, but I am pretty inconsistent in my approach shots causing me to have to get up and down ALOT more than what I would like. Just curious if anyone out here has had their clubs custom fit, did it make difference or is it a waste of money? I can take my own measurements and plug them into Golfsmiths calculator to get my ideal shafts and shaft length, is having custom fitter worth it?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Was in the golf business on the overall management side, played for a while, not to your level, but never having done that to my clubs, I certainly was thinking about doing it. Think about it, you will have the ability to set-up the same way for all of your clubs!!! That’s gotta be a big help!!!

Mark

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Im sure BK is suffering from a severe case of golf fever..

robby
    Quad Cities

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

competitor
    South central, mn

I am a golf coach and club maker. It is a great tool, IF done correctly. I would recommend finding the correct club fitter. Make sure he does “dynamic” testing, not just static measurements. I am sorry, but being from minnesota, I do not know any club makers from SD. Good luck and em straight!

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

I am a golf coach and club maker. It is a great tool, IF done correctly. I would recommend finding the correct club fitter. Make sure he does “dynamic” testing, not just static measurements. I am sorry, but being from minnesota, I do not know any club makers from SD. Good luck and em straight!

If we do it we will be going to Edina to the golfsmith store

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

If your going to do a fitting and your already a ping guy do yourself a favor and get fit with the club’s you like. I being a scratch golfer until my back injury. Golfsmithsclubs are borderline to what you currently have. If your serious about the game spend the cash and get fitted with the club’s you like and you will never regret it.

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Your short game will improve with the gap control of fitted wedges and they are your scoring clubs. Since you are a good golfer the short game fitting session with your ping pro would be your next best option to staying low…

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

If your going to do a fitting and your already a ping guy do yourself a favor and get fit with the club’s you like. I being a scratch golfer until my back injury. Golfsmithsclubs are borderline to what you currently have. If your serious about the game spend the cash and get fitted with the club’s you like and you will never regret it.

I am not going to go away from my Pingsā€¦.YET! I am eventually in a few years going to go to a mixed set of forged cavity backs and blades but right now my Pings are awesome (even though they are older than the hills). The problem is that I know they shafts dont’ fit me, they feel slightly to short and I am not sure they are they appropriate flex etc. so if I do it it will be to put better fitting shafts onto the heads I already have.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Quote:

Your short game will improve with the gap control of fitted wedges and they are your scoring clubs. Since you are a good golfer the short game fitting session with your ping pro would be your next best option to staying low…

my wedge play is AWFUL in that 100-25 yard range, it is by far the weakest point of my game which sucks because most of my second shots come in that range, im left, im right, im long, im short, never consistent which is part of what I am hoping new shafts will help with. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my shafts on my wedges are to short they are stock shafts and being 6’4 stock shafts aren’t long enough.

fieds
    ottertail county

naaaah. go to g-looomisth’s and replace those shafhts wit 64 million modulous graphite. get all all your rods custom fit wit the 28 to 32 inch irons. in the back 9 where icecastle puts the tightest holes, go wit a 17 inch st. croix aanns ah spring bobber.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

These guys are trying to have a serious conversation in the General Forum.

Just be glad they don’t post pictures…..

mojogunter

I bought new clubs last spring from golfsmith. They did a custom fitting for me and I think they did a good job. The computer program that analyzes your swing it pretty amazing. I had been playing ping isi copper for years. I can’t believe how much more distance you get with the new clubs. I hit four different brands to see what I was most consistent with. When I bought the new clubs they didn’t charge me for the custom fitting. If you don’t want to buy new clubs then don’t try hitting anything else but your own clubs. Good luck

HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

If you are coming over to the Twin Cities to have this done, do yourself a big favor and stop in and talk to the guys at Minnesota Golf Academy in Eden Prairie. It is 5 minutes from the Golfsmith in Edina. They have the best technology in Minnesota. They fit every major brand, including Ping. They have Trackman machines in there as well as a simulator. They have the best teachers in the state working there…nationally known. It won’t cost you a penny to talk to them. Very down to earth guys. between there and the Edina Golfsmith, you will be getting taken care of very well no matter which way you go. I’m a 3 handicap trying to get to a zero, and I think you will be very grateful after getting fitted for clubs.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I used to be very serious, not so much anymore. Was a +1 when I played every day, ballooned up to a 5 now that I only play a couple times a month. You won’t gain much with different shafts in that 25-100 yard range you struggle in. You typically aren’t taking a big swing from that distance so shaft variations only account for a couple yards difference at best. The eye 2 was a great iron in its day, and that day was somewhere around 1995. Putting new shafts in those clubs would be like putting a Shimano Stella on a bamboo cane pole. Go to a decent club fitter and get fit for new irons, including all your wedges.

edit: And by decent club fitter, I’m not talking golf smith where you hit some balls off a mat with tape on the club. You need to hit balls OUTSIDE where you can check distance, ball flight, launch angle, etc. and get completely fitted.

mojogunter

Hard to hit balls now for a while outdoors around here anyway. Just curious if you have been in a local golf shop testing clubs lately? It is nothing like just hitting a ball into a net with some tape on the bottom of your club. Maybe the latest computer swing analysis software is just a gimmick. I for one don’t think that it is. If you play enough golf and have a low handicap, you know if you hit a bad shot or not. You should also know when you miss hit it, what the ball is doing. While I was testing clubs, if I miss hit a ball the computer showed the ball going where I thought it was going almost every time. In fact the one thing that it helping me fix was I tend to hit my driver really high. It showed I was getting a high backspin causing the high ball flight. I was able to alter my swing in time and correct the problem. As far as the yardage while hitting on the machine, I thought that it was showing further than I really hit the ball. While testing new clubs, depending on the different model clubs I was hitting the 5 irons on an average of 194 yards. between the four models I was demoing the range of the four clubs varied from 191 yards to 197 yards. I felt this was a little long because I always hit my ping 5 iron about 185 yards. After my purchase, in my first round it seemed that I hit all the new clubs almost one full club length further than I did the year before with my old irons. Maybe the additional length is due to a change in the head angle. That is possible. While I will agree that the best scenario to test clubs is outside on real grass, sometimes it isn’t an option. The biggest drawback to hitting off a mat is that if you tend to hit the ball fat, the mat definitely can make your shots look better in air flight, but I would think that the computer would see the club path and account for it. The club shafts that he has now in most cases won’t improve his game that much if he were to change them. That is unless his swing is way outside the realm of normalcy. If his club head speed is 25% higher or lower than an average golfer then I think it could then have an impact. If his handicap is really what he says it is then he should know if the shafts are not right. Wow I was a little long winded there. Sorry about that.

Quote:

I used to be very serious, not so much anymore. Was a +1 when I played every day, ballooned up to a 5 now that I only play a couple times a month. You won’t gain much with different shafts in that 25-100 yard range you struggle in. You typically aren’t taking a big swing from that distance so shaft variations only account for a couple yards difference at best. The eye 2 was a great iron in its day, and that day was somewhere around 1995. Putting new shafts in those clubs would be like putting a Shimano Stella on a bamboo cane pole. Go to a decent club fitter and get fit for new irons, including all your wedges.

edit: And by decent club fitter, I’m not talking golf smith where you hit some balls off a mat with tape on the club. You need to hit balls OUTSIDE where you can check distance, ball flight, launch angle, etc. and get completely fitted.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

golf…???? isn’t that another term for cow pasture pool??????

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

There are two places in Madison with heated stalls that allow you to hit balls onto a regular range, and both places have authorized club fitting guys. Can’t believe Minneapolis wouldn’t have a similar option. I’m not saying computers aren’t accurate, but I have seen guys with swings that look perfect on the computer who have far less than desirable results when the ball gets out 100 yards or more. If you are paying to get fitted, and spending a pile of money on new clubs, I wouldn’t trust it solely on an indoor fitting using video golf. But, that’s just me.

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

Quote:

There are two places in Madison with heated stalls that allow you to hit balls onto a regular range, and both places have authorized club fitting guys. Can’t believe Minneapolis wouldn’t have a similar option. I’m not saying computers aren’t accurate, but I have seen guys with swings that look perfect on the computer who have far less than desirable results when the ball gets out 100 yards or more. If you are paying to get fitted, and spending a pile of money on new clubs, I wouldn’t trust it solely on an indoor fitting using video golf. But, that’s just me.

X2

scmelik
    South Dakota

thanks guys I appreciate all of the input. I am just in research mode right now, I won’t be doing anything until later this winter/early spring but you have all given me something to think about.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.