Snowmobile Help

• tr
    Plymouth

Hello Fellow IDOers, I have a need for some wrench help. I am trying to get my snowmobile running higher than an idle. I stored it this summer with seafoam and stabil, I thought I would be safe. well no thanks to the Ethanol crap we have in our fuel now, I have some issues. I can get it to start and I can get it to idle. what cannot do is get it to run in an higher RPM than idle. when I give it gas it wants to bog down and die. I took the cars apart and I thought cleaned them very well. both with the air and the carb cleaner. thought I had it and when I went to start it again, found I was in the same place as where I started.
    if any one has any tips on how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate the help and or tips.
    sled is a Vmax 500 96 model.
    Thank you ahead of time.

dbright
    Cambridge

If it runs fine with the track off the ground but bogs when the clutch engages on the ground. I have had to replace the needle and seats. I picked up a older mountain max last week that had been sitting for a few years with fuel in it and had the Yamaha dealer recommend to use power clean. I cleaned the carbs 2 times before using regular carb cleaner without much luck. The 3rd time around using power clean and new needle and seats it seems to be right.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Did you start with some fresh gas? Drain the tank and put in fresh 90+ non oxy. Make sure it is ethanol free! Drive further down the road if the local station doesn’t have it. It sounds like you may have clogged main jets that let the fuel in once your beyond idle. If you are sure you have those clean the floats may be stuck in the bowls not allowing them to fill properly resulting in starvation of fuel. Another thing that could cause this is a weak fuel pump. Also causing fuel to not travel fast enough to the carbs. Good luck

big_g
    Isle, MN

It’s flooding out…. = carb kits, not cleaning.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Just started mine up the other day same issue thought one cylinder wasn’t firing. Also the clutch wasn’t engaging so I rotated the clutch gave it a few love taps. started up again let it idle down and hit the gas everything was fine. Buddy figured it wasn’t warmed up enough. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I had the same issue yesterday. I did store mine without gas and ran all the gas out of the carbs. It took a little effort to get it started and when it did it only idled, give it gas and it would die. I did the old strikemaster trick. With about 3 gallons of gas in it I sprayed a whole can of carb cleaner in the tank, swihed it around started it up and let it run for about 15 minutes, hgave it some gas and I was able to go around the driveway a few times. After a few laps, she loosened up and I took it out on the lake and it ran like a raped ape.

dbright
    Cambridge

I picked these up at Menards. They work great for cleaning your carbs out along with a good carb cleaner. I soaked mine in a bucket of regular carb and choke cleaner two separate nights and still didn’t run right. Using brushes and the carb cleaner the dealer sold me the 3rd time worked. Yamaha does not sell carb rebuild kits you have to order everything individually. Denniskirk and shade tree also didn’t carry rebuild kits.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What did people use as a scapegoat before ethanol was put into gas?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

What did people use as a scapegoat before ethanol was put into gas?

You blamed your brother-in-law.

If all of the mechanical problems that were blamed on ethanol were actually caused by ethanol, no engine in the USA would be running by now.

Gasoline evaporation during prolonged periods of non-use leaves deposits and varnish. It’s this varnish that causes carb problems. This has nothing to do with ethanol.

I’d do an overnight deep clean of the carbs to try to loosen up the gum. You have to visualy inspect every passage. I just had a wood chipper that was giving me fits until I noticed during the second total carb teardown that a little, tiny venting hold in the bottom of the main riser was blocked shut with varnish. It took a tiny piece of fine wire to clean it out and the chipper fired on the second pull.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I still do that. It’s usually due to a combination of the two, but the ethanol causes problems with my B-I-Ls, not carbs.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I still do that. It’s usually due to a combination of the two, but the ethanol causes problems with my B-I-Ls, not carbs.

My dad couldn’t get a cordless drill to work one day last summer and I deadpanned, “I think it’s the damn ethanol that screws everything up.”

He had to think about that for a second.

Grouse

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.