Ham

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I wonder where the best hams can be found in the metro? Would like a smoked spiral cut.

Also any preparing, cooking tips are welcome!

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Ekez

Hansens double smoked hams are by far the best ever!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I got my Easter ham at Hackenmueller’s in Robbinsdale. This one was whole, but I think they’ll do spiral cut, too. Fantastic, as is everything I get there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hackenmueller’s Meat Meats in Robbinsdale, not even close. You might want to get it soon and off hours as the lines are going to start forming.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Gotta be quicker, Pug.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ha! I knew Ryan would be all over this. Jarrett (StCroixer) I think will/would also vouch for them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Gotta be quicker, Pug.

Great minds think alike. I am sure another great mind will chime in and back you up.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Spiral hams dry out to much, especially the leftovers. A half or whole ham is waaaay better. John morell easycut hams are my favorite

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Quote:

Spiral hams dry out to much, especially the leftovers. A half or whole ham is waaaay better.

+1

I’ll take spam over a spiral dried out ham.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Everts Resorts

It’s just a tad outside the metro, but they have the largest Ham.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

+1

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I have not tried it myself, but I would have to think Kramarczuk’s double smoked ham would be awesome, since everything else they make is..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I have not tried it myself, but I would have to think Kramarczuk’s double smoked ham would be awesome, since everything else they make is..

Ooo, you got me there. Can’t go wrong with those NE Polaks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Spiral hams dry out to much, especially the leftovers. A half or whole ham is waaaay better. John morell easycut hams are my favorite

Are you following the heating instructions to the letter?

A ham should be TIGHTLY covered and with the recommend amount of water per pound. Also, turn the ham during heating per the instructions.

Google this topic, there’s plenty of how-tos out there,most of which will use the same formulas. No need to eat dry ham.

Grouse

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Ask BK, im sure he’d crack open a can of Americas finest for ya!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Spiral cut Spam.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Spiral cut Spam.

The new Everts special. LOL

FDR

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Are you following the heating instructions to the letter?

A ham should be TIGHTLY covered and with the recommend amount of water per pound. Also, turn the ham during heating per the instructions.

Google this topic, there’s plenty of how-tos out there,most of which will use the same formulas. No need to eat dry ham.

Grouse

Good advice. I tried foil before and it doesnt stay tight and you lose alot of moisture. My last one I did in a roasting pan with tight cover and it was awesome.

Id stay away from foil if you can find a big enough roasting pan.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

X2 on Hackenmueller’s. My boy gets them–very good.

Gundy

chomps
    Sioux City IA

never did care at all for the spiral sliced hams. I usually get a good half/whole ham, like Ryan had in his picture. Get a jar of sugar free apricot preserves, about 4-5 seeded adobo jalapenos with as much of the adobo sauce as you can get out of the can, a splash of cider vinegar, a couple heaping glugs of honey, and a palmful of your favorite bbq rub. Put in glass pan on low heat till it comes to a simmer. Grind it all smooth with a stick blender or in a regular blender. Score the ham making those pretty diamonds and rub it down with BBQ rub. Get the Webber ready with 3/4 chimney of charcoal stacked on one side, add a couple chunks of apple wood. Place a small alum pan under the open spot, put the grate on ham over the alum. pan and cover and leave the vent open over the ham about 1/3 of the way. Keep checking to see if you put the coals out, don’t let that happen, can crack the lid a bit too! After about 2 hours start brushing on the glaze. Save some glaze for the table. You will be very impressed.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Ditto on the Hackenmueller ham – – awesome. Got my whole ham today – also a couple of stuffed pork chops (big as hub caps!). A fresh Swedish sausage too. Loves me some Hackenmuellers!!!

smoke grub

I am in the LaCrosse area and I can’t find a picnic ham or shoulder to save my life.. they don’t sell them around here, or I can’t find them.. anyone have any ideas.. I will drive to Winona or possibly Rochester just to get one.. I have a kid who needs a gluten free diet.. so unless I get a deep fryer for turkey, or one to use, its Ham.. and I prefer the sweetness of a shoulder..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.