St. Paul ice show, thoughts

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Last night on Bear Facts they mentioned the show was pretty packed and people were buying. What was your impression? Buy or see anything cool?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Yeah it was a very good show for most of the larger retailers, and smaller ones alike.

I can remember busier days in the past but lots of people buying this year which is great to see.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

Unfortunately, I didn’t see anything I needed. I must be at that point where I don’t have to attend unless there is something that really catches my eye.

There were a lot of people. What I like is that the crowds are courteous and the vendors were friendly and helpful.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I bought a rod then accidentally snapped the tip off at home.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Like I told IceNutz, I have been there before and got tired of the crowds. And if I add up beer, gas, parking, beer, tickets, my valuable time and beer, I don’t end up saving money. I’ll go back if I am ever in the market for a real big ticket item like a wheel house.

Keep an eye out for me when I retire in 25 years.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

No big ticket items for me. Fish house lights from the digger booth, new auger blades and the magnets that hold on the auger blade guard.

I’m still a little skeptical of the magnets, but it has to be better than the traditional rubber piece.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I bought a rod then accidentally snapped the tip off at home.

I’m glad it was accidentally!

Terry Heese

Quote:

the magnets that hold on the auger blade guard.

I’m still a little skeptical of the magnets, but it has to be better than the traditional rubber piece.

I bought one 2 yrs ago @ the show & ended up selling my cold snap cover. Magnets hold up good, just have to watch it if you’re pulling through tall weeds/brush/etc, you may lose it.

duke.harbaugh

Quote:

Like I told IceNutz, I have been there before and got tired of the crowds. And if I add up beer, gas, parking, beer, tickets, my valuable time and beer, I don’t end up saving money. I’ll go back if I am ever in the market for a real big ticket item like a wheel house.

Keep an eye out for me when I retire in 25 years.

^^ what he said…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I have got to rate this show as the best ones held to date. Even on a Sunday afternoon with only a few hours left, most all vendors had plenty of inventory and people on hand to chat with. Got to see or meet several pros and even picked up an IDO hat and hoodie! Good job to all who worked the show.

-J.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

God job to all who worked the show.

I think that’s a little over the top Jon.

How was the crowd on Sunday? I think that on a year when maybe the ice isn’t safe yet I might head over there on a Sunday afternoon if it was less crowded.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It was crowded Sunday afternoon.

-J.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, I am done flip flopping then.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

And if I add up beer, gas, parking, beer, tickets, my valuable time and beer

You may have an alcohol management problem

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Got there at 9 am on Saturday and there were no crowds at all. I course I stumbled upon VIP tickets which was well worth it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Always a fun time seeing who is working the booths. Managed to expand my ice fishing rod collection from one to two. There is just something about spending $7 on a beer that makes it taste better. Good show and catching the end of the vikes game across the street afterwards was pretty good to.

desperado

gee, I must be a cheapskate
    spending $7 on a beer usually leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

There must have been a sale on yoga pants recently. Everybody had a pretty lady running the cash registers. I got the IDO hat and sharpened a Cut Co hunting knife. No big purchases. In at 8 and out by 11:30. Off to The Nook. Surprised to get a Busch Light there.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

No crowds at all today, Pug. Head on down!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Crap, I have to work. You think the unicorns are going to milk themselves?

desperado

Quote:

cripe, they’ll STILL want $10 for parking

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Come on Pug, everyone knows Unicorns only have one Teat, they don’t take long at all to milk!

desperado

I thought Unicorns produced glitter, not milk

itch2fish
    MN

I was there Friday and Saturday, next year I’ll only be going Friday or VIP on Saturday. Friday wasn’t too bad as far as the crowd goes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Come on Pug, everyone knows Unicorns only have one Teat, they don’t take long at all to milk!

They do when you don’t use your hands!

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Show was ok for me. Lots of ice castle houses wow. Seemed to me they were pushing the new small trout style reel for ice fishing.

I did go to buy a new depth finder and did that but when I used it Sunday the darn thing did not work rite so it is getting shipped back to humminbird

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Was there on Sunday, from 1:00 to 4:30. Impressed by the size of the show, access to the latest and greatest, and the good showing of wheel houses. I love the new stuff that the smaller vendors were selling. The Japanese bait company upstairs was impressive but I thought $10 was a bit of a stretch for their blade bait. It was fairly crowded but that was good. Picked up a TUCR rod, some great fish breading, a skin grip for filleting, kicked some tires, and had a beer. I am surprised the show is this late as a mid – late October may be more inline with my buying habits. Certainly the total cost is no more than going to Target Field, however I can bring something home besides a loss.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No, no, no. Only the boy unicorns have just one teat.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s not a unicorn teat!

Have I gone too far?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.