Favorite Things!!!!!

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

In the spirit of giving thanks and appreciating what we have, what are your top things that you use/like in your outdoor pursuits. I know we can get into family, values, time, etc., but I’m looking a stuff. As in, when you see it you think, “Man…I’m so glad I purchased that.” Here’s mine:
    1. Pickup with topper (oh the places we’ve gone)
    2. Frabill ice suit. What an invaluable piece of equipment. I got it deeply discounted from Glenn’s. It’s like having a personal ice shack on your back.
    3. Marcum LX5. speaks for itself.
    4. Army Surplus Wool sweater. German police issue. The best $18 I’ve spent.
    5. Boomer…my black lab.
    6. Behind the seat gun slings.
    7. LaCrosse Swamp Tuff waders. Bullet proof.
    8. Benelli supernova. What a workhorse.
    9. Bass Boat. If it could tell stories…
    10. Hopefully, our new snowmobile package (2 sleds and trailer). Looks like a good year to get back into sledding.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

To be lame, the minivan for the wife and our 3 kids is best buy to date. So useful, and roomy and can fit everything we need with our trips up to the cabin, etc. Just can’t say enough about it.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

For example.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

To be lame, the minivan for the wife and our 3 kids is best buy to date. So useful, and roomy and can fit everything we need with our trips up to the cabin, etc. Just can’t say enough about it.

Not lame at all. We have been bouncing around the idea as well. What advice can you give?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Is that a Bass Tracker? Rock solid little boats!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Is that a Bass Tracker? Rock solid little boats!

It is. 18 footer. It was their silver anniversary edition. They did it up right.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Wow so many things

1. My old beater 1975 Arctic Cat for icefishing, saves me a lot of walking

2. DH Custom Noodle

3. Marcum Flasher

4. Lone Wolf Sit & Climb, rock solid and deadly quiet in a tree

5. My Girl Friend, what a fishing partner

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Not lame at all. We have been bouncing around the idea as well. What advice can you give?

Not much. I just told the wife even if I was a single guy, I’d still be rolling in van. Big V6 motor to pull my lil boat(now I just need to put a hitch on), AWD, fold away seats are nice but I wish I could just completely pull them out if needed. With kids softball and soccer tourneys, dance, gymnastics, etc its awesome just to be able to have a big “base area” to chill in between games and have everything you need at your disposal, coolers, strollers, bags of equipment all within reach and not in the back of a pickup. Not for everybody but I’m a function over fashion guy and it works for us.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

1. Walleye boat with all tools necessary to be consistent.
    2. Truck with rhino lining, truxedo, 4-door.
    4. Neck warmer.
    5. filson leather chaps bird hunting-only way to go!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

cpetey, I love the gravity defying ice-suit you got there! That pic where you are totally upside down…. just awesome! Gotta pick me up one of those!

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Quote:

cpetey, I love the gravity defying ice-suit you got there! That pic where you are totally upside down…. just awesome! Gotta pick me up one of those!

X2- I was thinking it may have other useful applcations.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I’m feeling sad, I simply remember my favorite things and and then I don’t feel sooooo bad!

In no particular order:

1. Getting a newbie hooked up to a big fish.
    2. Being intimate with Pool 4.
    Ido posts that make one belly laugh.
    3. A few people that I’ve helped that really made a difference in their lives.
    4. Listening to Gizmo talk.
    5. One silly little rainbow trout that did cartwheels on the Wolf River.

timmy

Browning superlight feather Citori that I carry behind a pointing dog.

The pointing dog.

Marcum depthfinder that shoots thru the ice – LX-i (not sure on the model). Looks like a flashlight – super easy to use and saves a lot of work.

Comfortable boots – danner pronghorns

Stormy Kromer hat.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Tell Boomer hello for us. Don n Magic

lhprop1
    Eagan

1. My fishing/hunting buddy. He’s only 2 right now, but I have a feeling we have many years and memories ahead of us.

2. My 870. Ole Faithful

3. My Calcutta 400 TE. It’s now easy to crank giant muskie lures and not get a sore arm for the next 2 days.

4. ATI jigs. My secret that I’m sharing with you. Deadly as dynamite on tip ups.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think I know what your asking of…. these would be some of the top purchases that have directly contributed to additional success in the field or on water.

Honorable mentions – Mr. Heater, Marcum LX9, Coast to Coast .22LR, my wife and 2 daughters

#10 Sleep Creek DLS #11 & #2 coil traps Incredible holding power and a lot less misses in semi-frozen sets. Some of the best quality traps and longevity!

#9 Tikka Stainless .270 WSM / Boyd thumbhole stock / Burris XTR 4-16×50 scope. I wanted one “perfect” rifle for medium/large game that would cover almost any shot I wanted to take out to 500 yrds. This one exceeds my expectations.

#8 Lowrance Green Box. Back in the late 70’s when the only way to check what was happening beneath the ice was to fish, I rigged up a little folding tripod for the transducer of my green Box and toted it with me on Lake Mendota perch fishing. The first day I ever used it, I learned that perch suspended 20 feet down over 65 fow….From then on, I use electronics religiously to learn what goes on in the water column.

#7 Sage RP III 4wt flyrod blank that I built as a ultra-lite spinning rod. #1 panfish rod I have ever used for the last 25+ years

#6 Dial-up internet service back around 1992- Obviously has been upgraded a few times But I knew the growing potential was there for a lot of shared information. Wish I invested a little more $$$ into that thinking

#5 Lee Melting Pot – I ran into a sweet deal on a melting pot at a garage sale back in about 1979. Since I bought that, I has to get molds…That really was the trigger point for all the DIY rod/tackle stuff that I do.

#4 Loomis IM6 9×9 flyrod. After years of using crap rods (All rods casting,spinning,& flyrods), I learned the true difference in using quality. This one rod truly changed my mindset and had the biggest impact on the quality level of equipment that I buy today.

#3 Koppers Live Target Gizzard Shad 1/2oz 2″ in Pearl/Blue. This one bait has become my “money” bait over the past years. As much as I like Rapala products, I watch them playing catch up in the versatility of this one bait. In lipless, it has the most variety of uses from vertical jigging, ice fishing, ripping through weeds, and species of fish that just inhale it. Now to the point that I burn through about 48 to 60 of these a year!

#2 Hummingbird 1197 the week that they were originally released. Adding this level of technology to my boat allowed me to scan water and confirm/dismiss acres of the water column in just minutes. Not only getting things dialed in; but vastly added more fishing time to my day.

#1. 1991 Yamaha ProV 150 This one tool has given me THOUSANDS of run-time hours. Countless tournaments, pleasure rides, guiding, and so on. From 100 degrees to in the low 20’s, Mr. Reliability has taken care of me in every condition imaginable, fired up flawlessly, ran smooth, and never cost me a penny over standard maintenance. He’s loosing his compression and I know time is now becoming limited. But over 22 years of HARD use, this motor has gotten me to places that I have enjoyed the most in life!
    Well, there is my top ten…..Thanks for making me think about how much money I have spent over the years

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

1. Pickup with topper.
    2. Old model 1100-LT 20 Ga
    3. Good fitting boots
    4. Gill rods with springs
    5. Flasher
    6. Sleds
    7. Fishing from Pontoons

ccales
    Mpls, MN

In no particular order…

Gerber Gater Knife (20 years old)
    Lowrance H2Oc (still using it)
    My Yellow Lab and German Shorthair
    My guns (collectively)
    My boat (total package)
    Strikemaster Lazer Pro Solo engine
    Leatherman Wave
    Gamesaver Foodsaver
    Smoker (I do all my own processing)
    Cabela’s 3/4hp Commercial Grinder

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

In no particular order:

My little John Deere riding mower. $400 off of Craigslist and I cut my mowing/leaf bagging time/workload in half. Somehow, I managed to find other ways to use the time…

My 20 gauge Browing Superlight and 20 gauge Beretta autoloader. You may notice a theme here. Also, Dad’s 20 gauge Model 11 Remington, that he’s had since he was 8.

My workshop and tools. I’m not a “gadget” guy. I only buy stuff that works and works for the long haul. Specific kudos to:
    – Milwaukee cordless tools, the old school 14 and 18 volt nicad versions. Bulletproof.
    – The set of high end wood chisels that Mrs. Grouse bought me for Christmas one year. Wow.
    – Old Stanley planes. None of my 5 planes are newer than 1930 and they all work like they were made yesterday.

– My St. Croix Legend Ultra fly rod in #4 8.5 foot. Technology may have moved on, but I won’t.

– My little red 1984 Lund boat with a 25 HP Johnson. I’m going to sell her this spring to make room for a bigger boat because the boys now are both old enough to come fishing with me, so I’ll need more room. That doesn’t take anything away from the little Lund that could. We’ve caught a lot of fish and had a lot of adventures together and I’ll miss her. Never let me down.

The smart little flask that girl who is now Mrs. Grouse gave as her first Christmas present to me. I wasn’t sure how to take it, I was so in love with her and I thought maybe my, ummm, drinking, cigar smoking, devil-may-care persona had gone a little too far, but it is a wonderful gift that I’ll keep forever.

Finally, the 80 acres of hunting land that I just bought this year. This really isn’t for me, it’s for Henry and Tommy to try to make sure they can find the joy in hunting and the outdoors that I’ve found.

Grouse

troutbum
    St. Paul

Its the simple stuff

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Its the simple stuff

I thought you’d second my list. Bring your list down on Friday…minus the toilet.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Any self respecting man worth one’s salt, has his own gentrified ‘favorites’. Chew, whiskey and my very own broken in porcelain pony, make me warm and fuzzy after a long shitastic day of working for the man.
    I can and will bring said items to onalaska.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

I was more curious how he kept the water from running out of the holes?????

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Its the simple stuff

Like your list..I’ll add my to that my ugly stick and pflueger poles, red hooks, array of lures, good company and better fishing.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.