Snow Shoe Reconmendation

• Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Never have owned a pair only borrowed. Looking for something that is super durable would use for late season pheasant hunting, ice fishing, and general recreation. Looking to spend less than $300, thanks for the help fellas – QB

Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

I have always used traditional shoes until about three years ago. I bought a pair of the new Tubbs and will never go back to wood. You will have no problem finding a pair in your price range. Just make sure to size them right to get max float.

The best thing about snowshoes is that the learning curve is near 0. Put them on and start shoeing!

WS

jerry b
    western WI

My advice is to work with someone that has experience with’m. Lots of little tips and hints that can make your life easier. True, you can put’m on and go but working with a pro can make it lots more fun. Somewhere I heard/read that the regional parks have a “how-to” session each winter jerr

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

Never have owned a pair only borrowed. Looking for something that is super durable would use for late season pheasant hunting, ice fishing, and general recreation. Looking to spend less than $300, thanks for the help fellas – QB

Get he narrowest and longest combo you can find for flat ground long walks. Wider/shorter if you are into hills and shorter distance.

The old ” Alaskan Trail Shoe”– 10″ by 60″– are the best for long, flat ground hikes. No doubt. The “bear paw” style for hills and shorter walks.

You won’t wear out a good pair of the wooden style in 100’s of miles of hiking.( just based on my 40 plus years of owning a pair)

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Several years ago I purchased a pair of snowshoes from a military surplus shop and put a good set of binders on them. They are not name brand but are awesome. LL Bean shoes are ok for family recreation but if you are looking for some that can take some abuse look for surplus shoes. My 12 year old and 7 year old have been on shoes with my wife for several years already. Great family fun.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Whatever you get, I second the advice about sizing them properly. If in doubt, go to the next bigger size. The whole point of snowshoes is to “float” you on top of the snow so the bigger the shoe, the more easily you stay up there.

With clothing, boots, and a gun, you’re going to be adding 20+ pounds to your weight.

Secondly, make sure you get shoes with bindings that are easy to use and durable. You want bindings that you can get into and out of quickly and ones that won’t freeze up.

Grouse

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Bindings are also key as you never want to walk out of the shoes.

I have found that the ones made like a belt, with the holes through the leather strap ( that goes around the back part of your boot)spread out over a few inches on the strap, allows for you to tighten them as you go and they loosen up or shift a little on your boot. There surely could be better ones I don’t know about but the leather adjustable strap that wraps around the back of your boot does well with being able to fit various boot sizes and allows for adjustment as you go…

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

If there’s any chance you will encounter ice, make sure you have the ice cleats on the bottom. Otherwise you may as well have a pair of ice skates on.

Those puppies can make even ice in a parking lot slippery.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.