geocaching

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Hey any Geocaching Hunters on here? Wondering what would be a good unit to start with. I enjoy the outdoors and thought the Wife and I would try it. Thanks

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Any unit will work as long as you can punch in the coordinates. The main web site that my wife uses is geocashing.com. They are supported by garman so their products sync with the web site and make downloading waypoints and other information easy

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We stumbled into a geo cache pheasant hunting this fall.

timmy

Quote:

I call that “litter”. It was intentionally left there by a litterbug. My $.02

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

I call that “litter”. It was intentionally left there by a litterbug. My $.02 [/
    quote]

I feel the same way about swing sets and park benches!

If ya don’t have anything good to say don’t say it.

Geocaching is a blast I just use the geocaching app on my droid and it works flawless! Good luck and have fun

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My kids loved goecashing. Lots of good times in the outdoors with them. Think we used to use a Lawrance H20. Been a couple of years since using it now so Im sure there must be better units now.

robby
    Quad Cities

I also found a geocash while hunting a couple years ago. Opened it because I did not know what it was. Left it in place. Noticed it was still there last season.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

X2 seen some people walking out of our land one day during deer hunting season two years ago whirring no orange go figure…. asked them who gave them permission to be on our land and why the hell they weren’t wearing orange? they told me they were geo what ever you call it and pointed down a few hundred yards into our property at a big tree and said thats where the box is….. i removed the box and told them to pass the word that they do not have permission to place items on our land….. it was only 100 yards from one of my stands….. could have screwed up hunt if i had been out there with deer in front of me.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

you mark all your litter with gps coordinates for others to find ???

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

All it is going to take is one geocacher with a screw loose and the internet to put an end to all that.

I tried geocaching when I got my first smart phone…for about 10 minutes.

I tried the Android game Ingress. Sort of the same idea, but everything is virtual.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think litter is a strong word for this activity. As long as they stick to public land I don’t see the big deal. Its fun for a lot of people that might not fish, hunt or enjoy the outdoors like we do. The one we found was in a heavily wooded area and nothing more than an old military style ammo box.

puddlepounder

Any unit will work as long as you can punch in the coordinates. The main web site that my wife uses is geocashing.com. They are supported by garman so their products sync with the web site and make downloading waypoints and other information easy

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What is this Geo Cashing? My hand held has it in its menu (Garmin something 60)

timmy

Quote:

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

Quote:

Quote:

I call that “litter”. It was intentionally left there by a litterbug. My $.02 [/
    quote]

I feel the same way about swing sets and park benches!

If ya don’t have anything good to say don’t say it.

Geocaching is a blast I just use the geocaching app on my droid and it works flawless! Good luck and have fun

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Use a smart phone and download the c:geo app. Sure makes life easy…typing in coordinates is unnecessary.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Tanks

puddlepounder

litter!!! if you look at it that way, every time you loose a crankbait, hook, lead sinkers and fishing line while fishing, you are “littering”. i’ll bet that you “litter” quite a bit during the open water season. by the way, thank you to all that have “littered” this year on mille lacs, I picked up as much of your “litter” as I was able to find while walking along the shore in my neighborhood. close to a dozen lures…I mean pieces of “litter” this year

geocaching is fun. all the state parks have a cache and most have gps units to use free of charge. I live on a lake and fish when I want to, so when my wife and I go camping/traveling, most of the time we leave the boat at home and travel to parts of the state we haven’t seen and do geocaching along the way, because that is something she enjoys to do outdoors. it’s not as easy as it sounds, if you think that all you do is plug in some coordinates and take a little walk and you will find the cache, think again. some people put a lot of thought into their cache. some have 3,4,or 5 different locations before you actually arrive at the cache. then you have to find the cache, some people are pretty good at hiding them in plane sight. if you actually think of this as littering, you are way off base.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.