Do you burn wood

• tr
    Plymouth

This may have some substance, but as I see it its more govt b>…………… trying to take the fun out of burning wood. For those of you over 50 that have a stove your parents burned wood in are you still using it|??? do you want your kids to enjoy it. Keep in mind this is from some govt agency trying to put more businesses out of business.
    Just my $.02 worth

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Another reason why we don’t need the EPA

pbitschura

Yes, and they can kiss my ………………….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Our grand kids will be living in bubbles eating soy products thanks to the EPA.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Zeebs have twice the BTU output as wood.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

The company that made my outside wood boiler is out of business due to what it costs just to have a analysis test done to see if there unit passes the emission guide lines. This is the reason why we need to pay for elections so candidates are not making anything from outside influences and are for the people who are paying for there time in office. Also get rid of the lobbyists. I would have to believe big oil is in the shadows of this and large corporations that want to be able to put out more emissions from there stacks.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

As kids we burned wood to heat our house. For the last 6 years I have used my Central Boiler unit to heat our home and shop. NONE of the trees or wood I have put through my stove were cut down just for heat. So… My Question to EPA would be – What’s the difference if I burn the wood in my stove and capture the BTU’s for heating or the wood gets burned in an open pit or hauled to the local landfill.

I forgot…

IT CAN”T BE TAXED LIKE ELECTRICITY OR FOSSIL FUELS!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I would have to believe big oil is in the shadows of this and large corporations that want to be able to put out more emissions from there stacks.

Big oil? Maybe big coal. Even then banning the sale of wood stoves would probably have little affect on their bottom line.

The people that are really behind this are the nanny state groups and certain political groups who do work in the name of “environmentalism” or public health.

Quick Google search:

Ohio Environmental Council

Mother Earth News

Pfft,next thing you know they’ll want to ban campfires.

California Wants to BAn Campfires

Didn’t Minneapolis ban or try and ban backyard fire pits?

timmy

I heat with wood. If you think about it, wood burning is perfectly carbon neutral…….net greenhouse gas emission of ZERO. Every bit of Co2 in that wood was filtered out if the air…., I release it via burning, and the trees regrab it to make more firewood…… And so continues the circle.

I hate the gov’t. HATE. HATE. HATE.

T

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Thanks Pug for the two quick Google searches.

Why is it reporting doesn’t have to be factual any more. That if it is in print and works for where a person stands it’s got to be true. Them two reports are like watching MSNBC or Fox news. Someone said it so it must be true.

God help us all. Please

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I heat with wood getting my wood for free from a local tree service, and split it myself and wouldn’t trade it for anything, how about a $25 a month gas bill for the cook stove, water heater and dryer.

I did a search a couple years ago when I heard Germany made people put catalytic converters of their wood stoves, I never found out if they actually did make people do that, but when I did the search it said the carbon dioxide that the wood produces is the exact same amount it took to grow the tree and is just put back in the atmosphere to be reused. This came off a firewood information site and they said its completely neutral. Could it be the over zealous groups or companies wanting to eliminate supposed pollution or competition, I say probably both.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Thanks Pug for the two quick Google searches.

Why is it reporting doesn’t have to be factual any more. That if it is in print and works for where a person stands it’s got to be true. Them two reports are like watching MSNBC or Fox news. Someone said it so it must be true.

God help us all. Please

I’m confused. Is the thank you sarcasm and are you saying my links are like MSNBC/Fox?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As usual, the Sky Is Falling groups are adding 2+2 and getting 16.

Here’s the real story:

The EPA has not banned woodstoves. There is no plan to do so. The EPA does not have the power under current law to do so, so even if they wanted to ban wood stoves, only an act of congress could make it happen.

The EPA HAS started to certify wood burning stoves and boilers that meet certain emisssions requirements. The reason for this is that some LOCAL governments have banned wood stoves or put in force local codes that only allow them if they meet certain requirements of emissions.

So don’t run out and buy 100 barrel stove kits because Obama is going to make them illegal tomorrow morning after he bans guns, booze, cigs, pickups, and red meat.

As usual, you have more to fear from unaccountable local government agencies than you do from the Feds.

Grouse

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Quote:

I’m confused. Is the thank you sarcasm and are you saying my links are like MSNBC/Fox?

No pug It was about what was written in those links. The comparing a wood stove to having a diesel truck parked next to your house or saying wood stoves contribute more pollutants than all the factories combined. All I was getting at is you can’t hardly believe anything that is reported these days. These days I spend way too much of my time trying to track down the facts, back when we where younger that was the reporters duty. Now it’s what sells to a certain market. I thought you where trying to point out the idiotic ideas that people where trying to feed everyone. If you believe this is true full Then I guess it would be sarcasm. Not trying to ruffle any feathers, if I wanted to do that I’d go play on LL.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, just making sure because I wasn’t sure what you were getting at with the 2 links, but now you explained it, I got it.

I know what you mean. I was taught growing up that reporting was supposed to be objective. In today’s hyper media world, its all about what sells and catering to your demographics.

I even get tweeaked by local or natioonal news when an anchor preface a follow up question with a reporter that starts, “Give us a sense” or “What can we make of this”.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

As usual, the Sky Is Falling groups are adding 2+2 and getting 16.

Here’s the real story:

The EPA has not banned woodstoves. There is no plan to do so. The EPA does not have the power under current law to do so, so even if they wanted to ban wood stoves, only an act of congress could make it happen.

The EPA HAS started to certify wood burning stoves and boilers that meet certain emisssions requirements. The reason for this is that some LOCAL governments have banned wood stoves or put in force local codes that only allow them if they meet certain requirements of emissions.

So don’t run out and buy 100 barrel stove kits because Obama is going to make them illegal tomorrow morning after he bans guns, booze, cigs, pickups, and red meat.

As usual, you have more to fear from unaccountable local government agencies than you do from the Feds.

Grouse

How dare you interject actual facts and common sense (and a little pointed sarcasm) into a thread…

Snap

Quote:

…snip… These days I spend way too much of my time trying to track down the facts, back when we where younger that was the reporters duty. Now it’s what sells to a certain market. …snip…

Was it ever the reporters duty to just report the facts? Seems to me today you’re just getting multiple angles of the story whereas in the past you were getting the “official” angle. I will never complain about getting too much information, I will never complain about having to sort out the facts and I will never trust matters of importance to faith in a reporters duty.

Snap

Quote:

…snip…

Grouse

Unless, of course, you live in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Libya/Georgia/Djibouti/Kenya/Ethiopia/Yemen/Eritrea/Somalia/Saudi Arabia or any other country where the U.S. has killed over a million people in the last decade or so. Or unless you live in the U.S., have a job, and decide to oppose the involuntary theft of somewhere between 10-60% of your wages. Or unless you have or expect to have great grandchildren who the Fed gov is sandbagging with 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities and debt. Or unless you have dollar savings that the Fed is destroying with printing presses and “quantitative easing”. Or unless you want to offer for sale or purchase health care that doesn’t cover birth control, maternity stay, , alcoholism, mental health, etc, etc. Or unless you don’t want your private phone and electronic communications monitored, etc, etc, etc. I could go on….

If you take a second to think about it, our Fed Gov is one overwhelmingly powerful, scary beast.

lhprop1
    Eagan

They’d be better off banning lightning. The amount of wood burned due to forest fires started by lightning strikes dwarfs the amount of wood burned to heat homes and cabins.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

They’d be better off banning lightning. The amount of wood burned due to forest fires started by lightning strikes dwarfs the amount of wood burned to heat homes and cabins.

Lets just chop down all the damn trees and be done with it. Trees cause cancer and asthma. Trees are bad.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Lets just chop down all the damn trees and be done with it. Trees cause cancer and asthma. Trees are bad.

If it means no more of those stupid helicopter seeds or those stupid fuzzies from the damn cottonwoods, I’m all for it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What? I can kill a nice spring afternoon just tossing those up in the air over and over.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

What? I can kill a nice spring afternoon just tossing those up in the air over and over.

You’re more than welcome to come over an pull all of them out of the gutters and out of the vents in my truck.

Snap

Quote:

…snip… These days I spend way too much of my time trying to track down the facts, back when we where younger that was the reporters duty. Now it’s what sells to a certain market. …snip…

Was it ever the reporters duty to just report the facts? Seems to me today you’re just getting multiple angles of the story whereas in the past you were getting the “official” angle. I will never complain about getting too much information, I will never complain about having to sort out the facts and I will never trust matters of importance to faith in a reporters duty.

Snap

Quote:

…snip…

Grouse

Unless, of course, you live in Iraq/Afghanistan/Pakistan/Libya/Georgia/Djibouti/Kenya/Ethiopia/Yemen/Eritrea/Somalia/Saudi Arabia or any other country where the U.S. has killed over a million people in the last decade or so. Or unless you live in the U.S., have a job, and decide to oppose the involuntary theft of somewhere between 10-60% of your wages. Or unless you have or expect to have great grandchildren who the Fed gov is sandbagging with 100 trillion in unfunded liabilities and debt. Or unless you have dollar savings that the Fed is destroying with printing presses and “quantitative easing”. Or unless you want to offer for sale or purchase health care that doesn’t cover birth control, maternity stay, , alcoholism, mental health, etc, etc. Or unless you don’t want your private phone and electronic communications monitored, etc, etc, etc. I could go on….

If you take a second to think about it, our Fed Gov is one overwhelmingly powerful, scary beast.

lhprop1
    Eagan

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.