did I hear this right?

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I was kind of in a fog this morning when the news was on. I thought I heard that as part of the settlement to go back to work the furloughed employees received a 1% raise effective Jan 1st.

Did I REALLY hear that?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

that should spurr the economy

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yes but they haven’t had a raise in 3 years. Doesn’t seem out of line at all.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

It’s a possibility not a given that they will get a 1% cost of living raise, as said Federal works have been on a wage freeze for 3 plus years, that includes no cost of living raise or any other type of raise.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I still can’t believe they get back pay for work they didn’t have to do. Tell me of any non-government company that would do the same thing. Do you think any of the outfitters that were shut down because of this are able to pay their employees back pay? Unbelievable.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I see it as a 2.5 week paid vacation that cost all of us dearly. We (the voters) need to send these jackwads aka incumbents a BIG message by not voting a single ONE in the upcoming election. I know I won’t be.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t know all the facts…but I know the lock operators were working. They will receive back pay.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

We (the voters) need to send these incumbents a BIG message by not voting a single ONE in the upcoming election.

It’s the same old song and dance with each and every election.

Yet the song remains the same.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

We (the voters) need to send these incumbents a BIG message by not voting a single ONE in the upcoming election.

It’s the same old song and dance with each and every election.

Yet the song remains the same.

Some day it wont be. Maybe soon.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am kind of torn on the back pay. They didn’t do anything to cause the shut down. On the other hand, when you work for the government, you should know it is a possibility. Also, in the private sector, when things get tough, sometimes businesses close for a period of time and reopen, no compensating workers, unless they want to use their PTO.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Quote:

I still can’t believe they get back pay for work they didn’t have to do. Tell me of any non-government company that would do the same thing. Do you think any of the outfitters that were shut down because of this are able to pay their employees back pay? Unbelievable.

Amen. That is rediculous they get paid for not doing anything.
    Not my employees faults when times get tought, things slow and they get laid off either.
    Government continues to make thier own rules regarding thier saleries. Always have and probabaly always will

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

Quote:

Amen. That is rediculous they get paid for not doing anything.
    Not my employees faults when times get tought, things slow and they get laid off either.
    Government continues to make thier own rules regarding thier saleries. Always have and probabaly always will

I heard this morning that Federal employees in Oregon got unemployment pay while the govt. was shut down and even though they are getting back pay they don’t have to give back the unemployment. Don’t know if this is happening in other states too. That’s just plain crazy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I wish I could buy votes with other people’s money.

I wonder how essential employees feel about their non essential peers getting some extra paid vacation.

gary d
    cordova,il

Amen,Amen,Amen.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

It sure would make it alot easier on me, and my employees if when the time came (and unfortunetaly it does now and again) that hours are going to have to be cut or a temporarly layoff needs to take place but at the same time be able to tell them not to worry, everyone else is giving me thier money (or I should say I’m taking it away from them with no say) so I can give to you, but only you.
    The folks across the street doing something simular aren’t eligiable. Man that would take so much preasure off me as a business owner

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And there’s your rub. The private sector actually has a budget and a bottom line.

If its the government you just ask congress to raise the debt limit and when they push back, run to the media and call the congress children or terrorists with bombs strapped to their chest. Then demagogue the issue by finding a group you can demonize, using them as a scapegoat.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

On the other hand shouldn’t our infrastructure be given a higher priority and its participants more incentive? This is our country we are talking about and the Fed system does maintain its stability allowing all of us the luxury of enjoying it. Just another perspective.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Quote:

I see it as a 2.5 week paid vacation that cost all of us dearly. We (the voters) need to send these jackwads aka incumbents a BIG message by not voting a single ONE in the upcoming election. I know I won’t be.

My thoughts exactly. I don’t care who is running against an incumbent THEY will get my vote.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

On the other hand shouldn’t our infrastructure be given a higher priority and its participants more incentive? This is our country we are talking about and the Fed system does maintain its stability allowing all of us the luxury of enjoying it. Just another perspective.

In one word…No!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

In one word…No!

You were able to decipher what he was saying there. I still have no idea.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In one word…No!

Sorry Suzuki. I didn’t understand your post either.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In one word…No!

My Reader’s Digest Condensed inferrence read “What the .govs do is important and that .govers are people too and deserve to be happily compensated.” If they’re happy, we should be happy that they’re happy, yes? ;-)

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

And there’s your rub. The private sector actually has a budget and a bottom line.

If its the government you just ask congress to raise the debt limit and when they push back, run to the media and call the congress children or terrorists with bombs strapped to their chest. Then demagogue the issue by finding a group you can demonize, using them as a scapegoat.

I could not have said this better myself.

If you work for the gov’t and [censored] about wage freezes I feel no sympathy for you. I work in the private sector where there is a thing called layoffs, not furloughs, aka, your JOB IS GONE. Makes a wage freeze sound like a walk in the park, and a furlough even better.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

A shutdown is a little different than a layoff, why should anyone loose their wages because the dunbasses in Washington are out to make each other
    Look bad, instead of doing what’s right for country.

Pay Them

Brian Hoffies

For the very same reason that the Congress didn’t care about the private companies working for the government. Think those employees got back pay?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

So one bad turn deserves another?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

A shutdown is a little different than a layoff, why should anyone loose their wages because the dunbasses in Washington are out to make each other
    Look bad, instead of doing what’s right for country.

Pay Them

Because you know what you are getting into when you work for the government. I don’t see much difference between this and entitlements. No one can lose. Everybody is a winner.

That being said I still am not sure how I feel about it. I go back and forth between this and saying they had no choice in the matter, they were forced out of work.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I think he might be saying that we want the best people working in government and we need to compensate them to attract them? Even if that isn’t it, this was a ideal I had growing up in a blue collar home.

The problem I came to realize is despite all the compensation and perks, government is a bloated, wasteful, dysfunctional beast, so that idea can’t be working.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

So one bad turn deserves another?

Yes, if you aren’t going to make everybody effected whole you can’t just pick a group such as government employees.

Truth be told the money should have come out of the pockets of Congress and the President. Think you would have had a shutdown then?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I Just won’t throw another man or woman under the bus solely on the fact that they work for the government. We all know that there is excess in the governments that congress refuses to deal with, that needs to be dealt with by those who are elected into office.
    To throw the workers under the bus just because they work for “the-government” is short sighted.

IMHO

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.