..you might live in a country founded by geniuses

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Ran across this on another site…you might have seen it before. I hadn’t.

Food For Thought

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but
    not for being in the country illegally …you might live in a country
    founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If you have to get your parents? permission to go on a field trip or
    take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion … you might
    live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If the only school curriculum allowed to explain how we got here is
    evolution, but the government stops a $15 million construction project
    to keep a rare spider from evolving to extinction … you might live
    in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check,
    buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the
    government … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run
    by idiots.

If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from
    owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16
    fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt … you might live in a
    country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a
    24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat
    … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a
    woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched
    … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions
    of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more … you might live in a

If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his
    teacher?s “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class
    in grade school is perfectly acceptable … you might live in a

If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with
    spankings while children of addicts are left in filth and drug
    infested ?homes?… you might live in a country founded by geniuses
    but run by idiots.

If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government
    intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks,
    Medicaid, subsidized housing and free cell phones … you might live
    in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to
    incentivize NOT working with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no
    requirement to prove they applied but can?t find work … you might
    live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more
    “safe” according to the government … you might live in a country
    founded by geniuses but run by idiots

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Its funny cuz its true …..

…wait. That isn’t funny at all.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Depressing cause it is true…..

Rusty21

Yeah, its true if you take the small minded approach and buy into the toxic garbage that is vomited on TV and radio. If you want to get past the half truths and gross embelishments, pick up a book or a respectable news publication and get the whole story. The written word is scrutinized and held to a far higher standard then the idiots on TV and radio, thus authors are held accountable for outragous claims and completely erroneous statments.

Guys like Rush and Beck can spew whatever BS they want and are in no way held accountable to their claims. Plus they are getting insanely rich off of spreading toxic garbage. Rush made 60 million dollars last year manipulating conservatives, Glen Beck made 90 million dollars spreading even more toxic garbage last year. If you think they are ‘educating’ the public, you are incredibly misguided. They are no more than hired guns for the far right propoganda machine.

Rusty21

To be clear, the left leaning TV and radio is also garbage.

Rusty21

Little fun sized statments about complex issues should never be trusted and should be seen as the obvious attempts to manipulate the public that they are.

joemama
    North St Paul

Quote:

Little fun sized statments about complex issues should never be trusted and should be seen as the obvious attempts to manipulate the public that they are.

x4

bigpike

Thank you for a great read, and a real eye opener for the sad state of our country. This was copied and pasted and sent to all my friends. Thanks for sharing.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

Can we trust them if they’re true?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

To be clear, the left leaning TV and radio is also garbage.

Oh gee, attack people on the right specifically and then generalize about the left. Way to be fair and balanced.

jc3363
    LaCrosse,WI

By bringing Rush or Beck’s name in to discredit simple facts is a pretty weak defense.
    It’s awful what this country is coming to, I don’t need a radio personality to point it out to me…. and I’m no genius…

rainyfan

Quote:

Yeah, its true if you take the small minded approach and buy into the toxic garbage that is vomited on TV and radio. If you want to get past the half truths and gross embelishments, pick up a book or a respectable news publication and get the whole story. The written word is scrutinized and held to a far higher standard then the idiots on TV and radio, thus authors are held accountable for outragous claims and completely erroneous statments.

Guys like Rush and Beck can spew whatever BS they want and are in no way held accountable to their claims. Plus they are getting insanely rich off of spreading toxic garbage. Rush made 60 million dollars last year manipulating conservatives, Glen Beck made 90 million dollars spreading even more toxic garbage last year. If you think they are ‘educating’ the public, you are incredibly misguided. They are no more than hired guns for the far right propoganda machine.

I don’t know what is propaganda in the original post. The mayor of New York city did ban large sodas, the state of Colorado passed a high capacity magazine ban, (the recall vote cost 2 people their jobs by the way)The current POTUS is all for Illegals amnesty yet against voter I.D. laws. I think these are just facts, if a person agrees with these facts or not is up to the individual, I won’t speak about gun control as I think my post might cause this thread to be deleted, and definitely would if I went into gun control

desperado

Quote:

Quote:

Can we trust them if they’re true?

sure if ya wanna, but don’t dare be amused by them

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Do u know MaKes this site great? Guys like me who love Beck and llimbAugh, who offer open seats, who share knowledge and show appreciation to others.

God bless American!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Do u know MaKes this site great? Guys like me who love Beck and llimbAugh, who offer open seats, who share knowledge and show appreciation to others.

God bless American!!!!

God bless lead sinkers too!!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

When did diversity classes in school become a problem?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I believe this blurb to was to describe the that an innocent 7 year old making a heterosexual comment (appropriate or not) is grounds for dismissal but a class advocating for different forms of sexaul expression is encouraged.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t think it’s at all accurate to say that this country was founded by “geniuses”. To do so, reduces and oversimplifies the REAL story of this country’s founding, who the founders really were, and why they did what they did.

If you look at the delegates and attendees to the Constitutional Conventions, for example, you see a broad range on intellects and temperaments. In general, while an 18th century education consisted of different things than a 21st century education does, I think we could say that on average what most would consider to be the founding fathers had a reasonably solid high school education.

What the founding fathers COULD do and did very well was that they had a tremendous ability to craft compromises on what were THE most contentious issues of the time.

Some people think that the founding fathers just used their superior intellect to do something that was brave, but essentially obvious. Nothing further from the truth. They wresteled with and compromised on the largest and most complex issues of their time.

Just taking the example of the issue of slavery. There were more than a dozen members of the Constitutional Convention who were vigerlously opposed to slavery in the strongest possible terms. For moral, religious, economic, philosophical, and practical reasons, they were dedictated to ending it in the Constitution. But they couldn’t do it. They had to compromise in a way they found most bitter and terrible, but there entrenched southern interests made this a no-go zone. If you read about this subject, this compromise in particular is facinating becuase it shows the lengths some of our founders had to go to just to make the country survive the first few years.

This had nothing to do with genius. It had everything to do with knowing how to focus on interests before principles.

Unlike todays WingNuts, the founders knew the real definition of compromise–getting SOME of what you want. Today’s whack-job wingnuts and tea party mindset has redefined it as “selling out” and look where it’s gotten us.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You really know how to ruin a joke.

So is compromise promising to negotiate after the opposition has given up their only leverage? We’ve already had one party break a promise before to negotiate after the opposition’s leverage was taken away. Fool them once, shame on them. Seriously do people have that short of memories?

desperado

if anyone is willing to give me everything I want up front, I’ll then be more than happy to spend however much time and effort they desire “negotiating” whatever comes next (or, more likely, doesn’t ever come about at all)

any takers ?? my pm box is empty

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

You really know how to ruin a joke.

So is compromise promising to negotiate after the opposition has given up their only leverage? We’ve already had one party break a promise before to negotiate after the opposition’s leverage was taken away. Fool them once, shame on them. Seriously do people have that short of memories?

You seem very enamored with this idea of “leverage”, Pug. The idea of “forcing” the other side to do something you want them to do.

It is difficult to think of any real example in life where this can be done with any positive effect because the other side can always walk away from the deal. Amost never does one side have true “leverage” to force through a deal because what is often forgottenis that no deal IS a negotiating option. the results of “no deal” are unsatisfactory to both parties very often, but it IS an option.

The problem right now is that both sides have painted themselves into a corner that they can only get out of if the OTHER side changes positons. So far have one side or the other having “leverage”,they both have given up leverage. The Republicans are putting their principles ahead of their interests and the president and house democrats are fighting a war of attrition by which he is betting that they gain more than they lose in terms of public preception.

Leverage is neither here nor there because this is just a warmup anyway. The real batter is the next budget.

Grouse

timmy

Quote:

It is difficult to think of any real example in life…………

Grouse

BINGO!!!!

They (congress, senate, and the head ape in charge of the whole zoo) have ABSOLUTELY ZERO clue about ANYTHING that occurs in the average Americans life. There ain’t a damned one of them that has had to balance a budget so their family can make the mortgage payment……ever. The vast, vast majority have NEVER HELD A REAL JOB THAT THEY NEEDED AND WERE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR RESULTS IN.

The whole mess really gets under my skin.

T

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Unlike todays WingNuts, the founders knew the real definition of compromise–getting SOME of what you want. Today’s whack-job wingnuts and tea party mindset has redefined it as “selling out” and look where it’s gotten us.

Grouse

For those that have consumed their entire exposure to the Tea Party in 20 second sound bites delivered by the mainstream media, here’s the Tea Party Platform. http://www.teaparty-platform.com/

I can’t find anything in their platform I disagree with. You? If so, please elaborate.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

For those that have consumed their entire exposure to the Tea Party in 20 second sound bites delivered by the mainstream media, here’s the Tea Party Platform. http://www.teaparty-platform.com/

I can’t find anything in their platform I disagree with. You? If so, please elaborate.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’m sorry James but what a joke that Tea Party document is. Of course the words are what everyone in America wants, there’s just disagreement to how to accomplish it.

It’s as if that’s their platform and everyone else is automatically 180 degrees on the other side.

They really had to put in a # for “Abide by the Constitution”, “Promote Civic Responsibility”, and “Believe in the People”! Really? Yeah, everyone else is opposite of that.

Sorry, that’s a childish document.

ET

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m sorry James but what a joke that Tea Party document is. Of course the words are what everyone in America wants, there’s just disagreement to how to accomplish it.

ET

If you think the current party in charge, and many of the long-term republicans, want to limit government or reduce spending in any way I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Quote:

Sorry, that’s a childish document.

But you said yourself “the words are what everyone in America wants?”

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

But it’s a lot more fun using the ad hominem word Teabagger which is so grown up. And it is so original.

I find it hilarious when people who like to think of themselves as scholarly and intellectual will use the term. I bet they find fart jokes funny too. Well, don’t we all?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here is a platform with some teeth… IND

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pffft! Independenter isn’t funny at all!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not here to talk up the virtues of the Tea Party. I’m not a member but some of my beliefs align with the Tea Party platform pretty closely. My only reason for getting involved with this thread at all was in response to some of the assertions that the Tea Party is some far out radical fringe group bent on destruction as is asserted by the mainstream media.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.