Best way to waterproof zippers?

• Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

What or how is the best for waterproofing zippers on raingear. The last few times out I have gotten wet on the sides of my legs from the full zipper on my bibs. I also have a zipper back vent and zipper armpit vents in my jacket that wick a little water in during heavy soaking wind driven rains. I’m too stubborn to just stay home in those conditions

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Not sure what you have for bibs but have a flap stitched on to cover the zipper and use snaps or Velcro to seal the flap on the adjacent edge like the snow suits are.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Mine is actually built like a snow suit type as you mentioned. Its a Striker Guardian suit. It is very warm, even at 15º-20º with a stronger wind I’m nice and toasty while ice fishing. I hate to not use it in the spring and fall in the boat for that reason! And it floats so that is a plus as well in case of a mishap.
    With the nasty driving rains it finds its way through the velcro when I have my back to a strong wind.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Is the Velcro as long as the zipper flap? if not, Maybe have more Velcro placed on the flap ?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

try rubbing parifin(sp) wax on the zipper before you zip them up. don’t know if that will help or not, cheap fix if it works

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.