Gophers…

• riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Are without a head coach again today….Coach kill was unable to travel with the team to Michigan following another seizure….Thoughts???

josh a

Its a shame his disease is going to cost him a dream job. I feel bad for the guy but I don’t see how they can go on like this. You can’t recruit talented players if you can’t guarantee them you’ll be on the sidelines every Saturday.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I think they knew when they hired Coach Kill, that he has this issue…. I don’t think kids nowadays, would be so shallow as to not play for a good coach with a disability. Just my opinion.

josh a

I don’t know that it would necessarily be a shallow move to play for a different coach because of health issues. I like Jerry Kill, he seems to be a good coach and person. Having said that, he hasn’t done anything to prove he’s a better than any other coach in the big 10. So if you were 18 years old and had to choose between 2 equal coaches wouldn’t you maybe choose the one with the more certain future? I really think this is putting the the gophers in a tough spot. They have a terrible reputation as a program and now have a head coach who is missing games due to his health. Its unfortunate but something has to change

big_g
    Isle, MN

I would say they “had” a terrible reputation as a program… Kill is changing that, even with epilepsy. I admire the guy and give him MORE credit than a coach without the disease. maybe shallow is not the right word, but I believe todays kids are also more apt to have a little more toleration for his disease. That’s all.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

MI State Coach Mark Dantonio

So if you were a kid choosing between two schools in the B10, when does the MI State coach become a health liability??? Or how about Urban Meyer who took a leave of absence after a health scare that included possible heart issues??? Or, or, or…

Mark

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I don’t care about his health at all. It’s his deal, he can deal with it anyway he wants.

They likely won’t win another game this year which in it’s self is karma. They ran and hid from any kind of competition and it’s showing now. Michigan is a decent team but certainly not a power any more. Iowa is maybe 1 win better then the Gophers and they pounded the Gophers.

Karma………….it’s a wonderful thing.

(For the record, I’m not blaming the kids at all. They are playing their a$$e$ off. This is on the head coach and AD.)

josh a

That Mark Dantonio story is from 3 years ago, and I don’t think anybody is worried about Urban Meyer missing time. Even if Urban Meyer did miss time his resume is so far ahead of anything Jerry Kill has ever done it probably wouldn’t matter. Either way, I really do feel bad for the guy. The fact remains the Gophers are still the worst program in the Big !0 and any negative press towards the coach is only going to make things worse. As for saying they “had” a bad reputation but don’t anymore, that’s just silly. There reputation is losing games, that’s it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

OK, now I know your just trolling. Having epilepsy = bad press

josh a

Head coach missing games= bad publicity for the program. I think its great that he has the energy to fight through his sickness but the fact remains when the coach that was hired to rebuild the program can’t even make it to all the games its not good. They’ve been talking about it on the radio for weeks now and I don’t think it makes me a bad person to think that a disability can force someone out of a job. How long will the wild keep Harding if he starts missing games because of MS?

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I admire coach kill also and think he has been doing a good job, but the fact of the matter he was hired to coach football games and his illness is preventing him from doing his job. I think kids today only know what they see on ESPN and Mn is the team with the coach that is sick. I think this will hurt recruiting and the program. Time for coach to step down. Teague will not have to address kill epilepsy as the gophers will probably not win another game and teague can fire him for poor performance.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Coach already said, when the disease prevents him from doing the job at a high level, he will step down. That’s good enough for me. This year too, there will only be 1 National Champion… it won’t be the Gophers or any of the other 118 teams left

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.