Lazy Monk Octoberfest

• bigpike

This Oktoberfest is back on the shelves It only comes in growlers for $8.49 + bottle deposit. That is a 1/2 gallon of the finest this country has to offer or in the words of Frank Zappa – “You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.”

If you love good beer try this micro brewery beer – I guarantee you wont be disappointed

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I want it! What shelves is it on around Woodbury???

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have not tried their Octoberfest yet, will have to do that!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Almost certainly at Heritage Liquor. That guy has everything!

bigpike

Quote:

Looks like you can get it at a number of liquid refreshment beverage centers in Hudson

eelpout

bigpike, what album was that saying off of. I have many zappa albums but never heard that line.

bigpike

Not sure pout. I researched famous beer quotes and picked that one. Benjamin Franklin is credited with this great qoute : “Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy”

mudlizard
    st. marys pt. MN

It was not on any album, its a quote from Zappa’s 1986 appearance on the tv show Crossfire. Sure do miss him.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Not sure pout. I researched famous beer quotes and picked that one. Benjamin Franklin is credited with this great qoute : “Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy”

Sorry, but this is an urban legend and it’s false.

What Franklin actually wrote:

“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Grouse

bigpike

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry, but this is an urban legend and it’s false.

What Franklin actually wrote:

“Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.”

Grouse

Close enuf for me, Thanks Benny

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would have liked to try it but no place in Woodbury carry’s it and the last place I went said its NOT available in Minnesota.

desperado

there’s four places in Hudson that carry it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

there’s four places in Hudson that carry it

How interesting…

desperado

and last I knew, the MN State Patrol was only doing routine trunk checks at the border during a few weeks surrounding the 4th of July timeframe

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s ok. The cheesecurds can have their beer. There’s plenty of better beer over here.

desperado

ya, ‘cept when ya GOTTA make a SUNDAY beer run

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

ya, ‘cept when ya GOTTA make a SUNDAY beer run

Nah. Just the morons that didn’t fill up ahead of time.
    Plus Sunday is usually a dry day for me.

bigpike

Its quite possible they cannot sell that beer over the border. I know of a New York establishment that got itself into a boat load of trouble for selling New Glarus Spotted Cow. The big boy brewery’s have a angle on distribution and money in high places to keep it that way…..

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

New Glarus Spotted Cow.

mmmmm….just had my last one last night. Need to get back to WI!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What does an Octoberfest beer taste like. I am not a big fan of hoppy beers anymore. Its too acidic and gives me heartburn. I am a malty beer guy. Porters and nut brown ales are my favorites. I don’t drink them in summer much. I switch to lagers made outside the US.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Most Octoberfest beers are not hoppy to my knowledge. Typically darker. Sometimes bitter, sometimes sweet. You would probably enjoy many of them.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

nut brown ales are my favorites.

This is where my heart is. Not to change discussion of the type of beer, but any particular favorites?

The common everyday ones I usually bring home are:
    New Castle
    Capital Brewery – Nut Brown Ale
    Goose Island – Nut Brown Ale
    Among many others that I try just to try.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t stray much from New Castle. New Castle is where it started for me.

When it comes to porters, I have had a bunch of different brews.

bigpike

New Castle is mine and my wife’s favorite beer. Here is the definition of Oktoberfest beer:

Pale lager is a very pale to golden-colored lager beer with a well attenuated body and a varying degree of noble hop bitterness. …

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As a point of order, it’s Newcastle Brown Ale. Newcastle being one word, not two.

I met (the current) Mrs. Grouse in a pub 35 miles north of Newcastle. Luckily (for me), she was NOT from Newcastle and therefore did not have the regional accent that they call the Geordie accent. If there is a more difficult-to-understand regional accent in all of UK, I have yet to hear it.

Grouse

desperado

Quote:

Its quite possible they cannot sell that beer over the border. . . . The big boy brewery’s have a angle on distribution and money in high places to keep it that way…..

pretty much was the basis for the plot of Smokey and The Bandit

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Sounds like we need a Newcastle Ice fishing GTG.

I’m in. Who’s got an ice castle? I’ll bring the Newcastle.

We sent an employee to Newcastle on a service call a few years back and he told me they make the beer there but nobody drinks it. They must be into the micro brews too.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

We sent an employee to Newcastle on a service call a few years back and he told me they make the beer there but nobody drinks it. They must be into the micro brews too.

They don’t make the beer in Newcastle anymore. Its brewed by John Smith Brewery over in Tadcaster, Yorkshire.

Britian is not into microbrews.

Grouse

bigpike

Quote:

As a point of order, it’s Newcastle Brown Ale. Newcastle being one word, not two.

I met (the current) Mrs. Grouse in a pub 35 miles north of Newcastle. Luckily (for me), she was NOT from Newcastle and therefore did not have the regional accent that they call the Geordie accent. If there is a more difficult-to-understand regional accent in all of UK, I have yet to hear it.

Grouse

I don’t know what to say

That’s the second point of order I’ve been called out for in this thread

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.