Boat

• jbob
    Hastings, MN

I have an older boat that doesn’t have a drain plug in it. It came that way when I bought it. Is it legal to use in Minnesota?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s legal to use, but not to transport water with…including a live well if so equip.

Just towel or sponge out any water before heading down the road and you’ll be fine.

desperado

with boats like that (like the old style aluminum row boats)
    I believe in MN … you’re now supposed to flip ’em over to transport them

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

with boats like that (like the old style aluminum row boats)
    I believe in MN … you’re now supposed to flip ’em over to transport them

I can’t tell is this is meant to sarcastic or if it is really a law. I hope it is the first of the two.

FDR

desperado

Francisco … that post was completely made up; as a commentary on how assinine the whole regulation scheme has gotten to be in MN

The fact that anyone would have to actually question whether it was sarcasm, or really the stance being taken by the MN DNR enforcement division, just further proves how far down the assinine-path we’ve gone

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I had such a boat back when..
    I put a plug in….drilled a hole big enough so a threaded plumbing nipple(from the hardware store)would fit through..2 large large nuts on the outside and inside with some silicone…worked great!
    Buy a nipple big enough so a standard plug will fit inside and your golden

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Francisco … that post was completely made up; as a commentary on how assinine the whole regulation scheme has gotten to be in MN

The fact that anyone would have to actually question whether it was sarcasm, or really the stance being taken by the MN DNR enforcement division, just further proves how far down the assinine-path we’ve gone

Agree. I do try to keep up on the changes as we vacation in Minnesota yearly.

FDR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Don, you know I agree with you completely….but…

Quote:

stance being taken by the MN DNR enforcement division

They are doing what they are instructed to do. I don’t blame enforcement. I actually have sympathy for them.

desperado

which is why I said “Enforcement Division”, not “CO’s” (was trying to aim the comment more at some of the “higher ups”, not the day-to-day officers in the field)

I feel sorry for the CO’s in the field too; having to enforce something which many of them deep-down know as well as we do how ineffective this scheme really is.

But do you believe the “DNR higher-ups” have nearly so-clean-of-hands in this whole mess?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Had to ask the DNR a while back about transporting a boat while raining. He said that is all right as all boats and trailers are designed to drain the water with the plug out. Mine sure isnt that way. Doesnt sound like your is either Jim.

bigpike

I’ll throw my 2 cents into the discussion since I now have first hand experience with AIS laws. Working nights I went fishing in the AM after work, kept a couple fish, went home – a 5 minute drive, got a little shut eye came back down to the same landing on the same river 6 hours later only to have the CO pull up behind me and ask if I had water in my livewell and if I new of the AIS laws. Well in my haste to go home and being over tired I left my livewell plug in $240 later I am battling the cost of my honest mistake and I received the lowest cost of the fine because I was cooperative. Actually I was cooperative until she asked if she could take a picture of my livewell, I allowed her to take her picture but at this point she got unloaded on by me and the stupidity of the law. Lesson learned, but if they don’t reduce my fine I will go to a jury trial at whatever cost just to prove my point because that’s the way I roll….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Please let me know how this turns out Bill. I know sooner or later I’ll be taking pictures of a CO taking pictures of my plug in.

I’m all for making a fashion statement in court as well.

It’s a law. You and I will both pay the cost of breaking the law…maybe even more buy ticking off some judge.

Ps Might want to take some media along to court with you.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS It’s not my MO to encourage anyone to break any law.

desperado

a little defiance finally beginning to materialize ?

Welcome to the DarkSide !!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I to think it will be just a matter of time before getting a ticket under these new laws. There is no way to get all the water out of your boat if you are a regular boater. Missing the plug once, missing a weed or just running into the wrong CO and you will pay. Does not matter if your intentions where good or not.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

a little defiance finally beginning to materialize ?

Welcome to the DarkSide !!

I’m not real happy about it Don.

desperado

embrace it and enjoy it
    life as a rebel can be quite fun

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.