Dewalt 12v batterys

• grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Can the batteries be refurbished? Recommendations?
    Thanks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Battery Patrol/Interstate can rebuild them. I don’t remember the cost but if you watch you can buy a pair of XRP’s for just a bit more (if I remember right) that the price if one normally.

pauleye78
    New Hope/ Onamia

I had my 18v batteries rebuilt once. They did not seem to hold charge very well. When it came time to replace more I just bought new.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Batteries plus did mine. They replaced the connectors to as they tend to get worn and burnt away.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I redid my Old Milwaukee 14.4 volt buying the batteries off of E-Bay cost me $18.00 for me to rebuild 2 battery packs. Very easy to do and went with higher MAH batteries.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

I bought a 20v kit, drill, 2 batteries..thanks

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I redid my Old Milwaukee 14.4 volt buying the batteries off of E-Bay cost me $18.00 for me to rebuild 2 battery packs. Very easy to do and went with higher MAH batteries.

As far as I’m concerned, the 14.4 and 18 volt Milwaukees were the best cordless drills ever made. Awesome power, bulletproof construction, and the batteries had a long overall service life AND were rebuildable.

LI tools are great for the lightweight and that’s their only redeeming feature. Terrible in cold weather, fragile batteries, and NOT requildable. Buying new batteries is never cost-justifyable compared to spending just buying a whole new set.

Back in the NICad days, I owned 3 cordless drills and they lasted over 15 years. Since LI, I’ve burned through 3 cordless drill sets in less than 5 years and they all died for the same reason: Batteries went bad.

I won’t be getting rid of my old-school Milwaukee stuff anytime soon. I’m still using my Milwaukee 14.4 set that I bought in 2007. It outlasted all of the LI tools I bought after it.

Grouse

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Grouse,

You are with Milwaukee as I’m with Dewalt 18v, XRP.

My first was new in 97 and still going strong. I retired the last of the first original batteries I think just 2 years ago now. Until the 18v series came out I was buying new cordless units every 2ish years when the batteries would no longer except a charge with any lasting time.

My past drills, not in complete order, have been AEG(first one with a torq clutch 7 to 9v), skill super cyclone (12v I think), Black & Decker( 12 v again I think), Panisonic (14v). Panisonic was the manufacture for many of the cordless batteries that was being sold on the market at the time I bought it.

Now my Dewalts. Yes that is many in the plural.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yep. Those older Dewalt drill where bullet proof. That is about the only thing we never did to them was shoot them with a bullet. Now the Dewalt sawall was a differnt story. For cutting plumbing pipes we got a year out on them. Water would get in the shaft and wear out the shaft seal. From there it was water getting int he motor and it was done. Just toasted my last one about a month ago. All seized up.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Now the Dewalt sawall was a differnt story. For cutting plumbing pipes we got a year out on them. Water would get in the shaft and wear out the shaft seal. From there it was water getting int he motor and it was done. Just toasted my last one about a month ago. All seized up.

DeWalt doesn’t make a Sawzall, Mike. They make a cheap, nasty, plastic reciprocating saw that is a Black & Decker with a yellow case and $50 added to the price. I managed to break a DeWalt recip saw 3 minutes after it came out of the package and I was just cutting out bad spots in a roof that needed to be redone.

Only Milwaukee makes a Sawzall and it’s the only recip saw worth owning. Nothing but heavy duty! I’ve ruthlessly abused my Sawzall cutting everything from cast iron sewer pipe to old galvanized water pipe, and everything in between and it soilders on.

Upgrade to a Sawzall and enjoy life. If you can kill a Sawzall in less than 10 years, you’re working way too hard.

Grouse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.