Consumer report please?

• steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Can anyone tell me, good or bad, via here or via pm/email if you would like, how yours or anyone you know of, dealings with Courtesy Car Sales 1412 Hastings Ave Newport, MN., has been? Pm me if you want…thanks.

steve-fellegy

Quote:

be very careful…

Kinda thought that. I saw an ad on a hard to find SUV model we have been shopping for put on Craig’s list by them. Told them, via email, I was very interested–made an ( about $350 less than he was asking)offer and asked for a call back. He called and told me “emailed offers mean nothing” to him…and brushed me off because I was from Mille Lacs instead of his area. Too bad–my wife and I were pretty serious about this one as it is a hard one to find. Funny thing? We found one like it advertised in New Jersey the past couple days ( a little further than this guy thought was for a serious offer to mean anything)and thought nothing of it, if we have to, to go that far to save a few $1000 and get what we are looking for. Oh well…some get it and some don’t. “emailed offers mean nothing…” LOL I signed my name–gave him a cell # and my location to make sure he knew I was for real. Amazing…

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I worked at a RV dealership by them for 8 years…shady at best.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I often shop and sell on Craigslist. You wouldn’t believe the people who email or phone with “fishing” offers. Some want to tie something up until they can flip it to another buyer. I’ve gotten text messages at 1am from nutcases trying to lowball the price. Unfortunately unless someone is standing in front of me, I’m reluctant to take offers. I do however tell them this and make sure I let them know I would negotiate in person. Another method is to find someone local to at least scope it out, see if it is legit and take a closer look.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

^^^^^I often shop and sell on Craigslist.^^^^

Speaking of “shady at best”. Never trust a guy that has Campbell’s Cream of Lutefisk Soup as an avatar.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Hmm I drove from N Wi to west of Chicago,almost Iowa, to buy the pick up I wanted this spring. Sterling Chev it was a good experince.
    Stan

marmike

Steve,
    You looking for another Suzuki?
    Ps. Never got to play tennis last weekend at red door.
    Mike

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The wife and I drove from Alma Wi. to lorida to buy a camper. Did the whole transaction over the phone and online, no problems. We got exactly what we wanted and still saved almost 3 grand after paying for the trip.

steve-fellegy

Quote:

The wife and I drove from Alma Wi. to lorida to buy a camper. Did the whole transaction over the phone and online, no problems. We got exactly what we wanted and still saved almost 3 grand after paying for the trip.

Exactly-and this guy says “your emailed offer means nothing to me” and I’m too far away to be serious–2.75 hours? ( as he advertised on Craigslist–why would he not expect emails and take them seriously lol). And I was only $350 away from his listed price. LOL He’s a beauty…at least he called to tell me I “mean nothing”.

“Nuff said here–thanks for the replies.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ha! Rude *** loses sale. Good to hear.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I know why they want you to come in person…. Sales always wants customer to make some kind of effort/investment in their product. It’s a lot harder to turn away from a counter offer if you have invested the time to come in person to see something.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

That stinks, Steve.

I’m not defending the guy and don’t know anything about his business or practices, but after selling many different items on craigslist I can kind of understand where he’s coming from.

In the last 6mo I’ve sold 2 boats and many other items on craigslist. In my experience, on bigger ticket items when the first email is an offer, the buyer is just fishing for a steal. You begin to receive so many emails and calls for people ‘fishing’ and scammers asking meaningless questions you get numb to it. Unless someone asked serious questions or wanted to meet to take a look I pretty much wrote em’ off. Not saying you did that, but attempting to maybe put it into perspective? I dunno…

That said, after reading what a few people posted about his biz – sounds like what happened is for the best

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

My daughters old boyfriend bought a pickup truck from them about 15 years ago. The salesman had the area on the title that was stamped salvaged vehicle covered up. When he got the new title from the state it was stamped salvage vehicle.
    I would not go near them or Continental motors in White Bear Lake. Same crap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.