spinner rig question

• mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

Going up to lake of the woods to pull spinner rigs on the reefs. I was wondering if i could get some advice on how long my leader should be. Also, for the most part we will be using crawlers. Is there any type of bait or anything different i can do to just target the bigger walleyes.
    Thanks for the advice
    Mike

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i make my own spinnerrigs and start with 2 arm legnths of line, so 12 foot long spinner when finished. as far as finding big fish, watch your sonar, when the hooks have color in them, they are bigger fish

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Mille lacs is a darn clear lake, idk if you would need that long of a rig up in LTW. To each their own though. If you make it that large make sure to have a really long net handle.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

For LOTW’s satined water, we use anywhere from 3-4 foot long spinners, maybe some go to 6′. There’s no need for the 9′.

We always make sure someone is using gold, and then have others try other colors. Crawlers work well, but minnows and grubs work well – depends on the day.

Make sure you use enough bottom bouncer weight to keep the line down properly – generally about 1.5 – 2.0 oz to keep line at a 45 degree angle.

In the mornings, start on top of the reef and work your way down. Depending on the wind/direction and fishes activity, active fish can be anywhere from 8-28 feet.

asch
    Eastern Iowa

We were on LOTW in June and anything under 4′ didn’t seem to work as good. I make them all 6′. It is a lot easier to shorten them than it is to make them longer.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

We have great luck with 3-4 footers. Gold, Metallic red, white with red eye, Firetiger, and the best is usually a orange,green, chartreuse combo. Just keep fishing different areas till you find a school. Surges and pauses seem to be good for the bigger fish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.