Are you coveraged???

• Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I am NOT an insurance salesman or representative. I recently learned that my boat trailer was NOT covered as part of my FULL COVERAGE policy. If somebody hit my trailer at the ramp or if my trailer was stolen as I was on the lake I DID NOT have coverage for the loss or damages even if it was attached to my truck that is under a FULL coverage policy. If when backing my trailer down the ramp I struck the dock doing damage to my trailer the dock is covered… my trailer was NOT.

I encourage everyone to contact their insurance provider and ASK QUESTIONS. My policy now provides me the coverage I thought I had!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I am NOT an insurance salesman or representative. I recently learned that my boat trailer was NOT covered as part of my FULL COVERAGE policy. If somebody hit my trailer at the ramp or if my trailer was stolen as I was on the lake I DID NOT have coverage for the loss or damages even if it was attached to my truck that is under a FULL coverage policy. If when backing my trailer down the ramp I struck the dock doing damage to my trailer the dock is covered… my trailer was NOT.

I encourage everyone to contact their insurance provider and ASK QUESTIONS. My policy now provides me the coverage I thought I had!

That is why I let someone like Justin at Woods and Water INS handle my stuff. He knows about boats and how to properly insure them. Not just some dude (or city gal) behind a desk pushing half azz insurance coverage.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yep your liability comes off the towing vehicle, the comp/collision with a stated value needs to be added to have everything tied up. It’s only $6-7 per year. Lots of people come in here with not only boat trailers, but enclosed or utility trailers and have never had that discussion with their agent before. Really a crappy deal, but at your insurance review that should have been brought up. Really sad how some people settle for “good rates” without any service.

Quote:

yep your liability comes off the towing vehicle, the comp/collision with a stated value needs to be added to have everything tied up.

X2

A lot of people end up scheduling watercrafts onto their home insurance policy and the coverages are not always adequate. I always stress to my clients the importance of carrying a separate boat insurance policy.

By insuring a boat on its own policy, in the event a claim ever arises, you won’t have to make a claim on your homeowners policy and have your home insurance rates subject to an increase for the next 3-5 years.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

By insuring a boat on its own policy, in the event a claim ever arises, you won’t have to make a claim on your homeowners policy and have your home insurance rates subject to an increase for the next 3-5 years.

This isn’t always going to happen, seldom does, Companies won’t just do the boat with out a rated primary vehicle, and the rated vehicle will get the price hike, not the home owners. This being said, there are a few who will jack the highest premium item on the policy for claims frequency. This is a good question for the agent. In some cases a specialty marine insurance company is the best option. The other 80% an addition to the vehicle package will be sufficient as long as the agent is competent enough to give you options and solid advise and the biggest suggestion is to ask the agent if he/she owns a boat.

Quote:

This isn’t always going to happen, seldom does, Companies won’t just do the boat with out a rated primary vehicle

While Utility Trailers, Snowmobile Trailers, and Enclosed trailers are commonly rated on the primary auto insurance policy, I have never heard of a watercraft being listed on a auto insurance policy?

If you’d like to chat more about the insurance industry please feel free to send me a PM and we’ll chat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

That is why I let someone like Justin at Woods and Water INS handle my stuff. He knows about boats and how to properly insure them. Not just some dude (or city gal) behind a desk pushing half azz insurance coverage.

x2

Responsive by phone, email or just a PM right here on Ido.

AND he helps to keep the lights on here.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Thanks for the input everyone. My blood was boiling over at the discovery of the lack in coverage. If you happen to be on the water and you see a Tracker named “It’s All Good” that’s me. Come on by for a chat or a

chomps
    Sioux City IA

you fish on Spirit or East or West? And For what it’s worth Mart Marine in Vermillion SD had a couple used bunk trailers in the weeds. They were in great shape. I know it’s a haul, but if your not having any luck it may be worth the call.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.