A huge musky from a friend in need of a prayer…

• Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Hi Mark,

When you called me on Sat., I was on Mille Lacs Lake with my wife Tina and a couple of fishing buddies. We were catching a lot of walleyes and it was basically non-stop action all day long. When you informed me of the horrific news that you had stage 4 cancer, they all saw me break down and being the good friends that they are – they supported me.

After I hung up with you, about an hour went by and we did not catch another fish. The lines were dead silent and I guess that was a good thing because I really didn’t feel like fishing anyways and I was thinking about calling it quits. I just wasn’t in the mood anymore and felt it was selfish of me to be out having fun while fishing when I had just found out that a dear friend of mine had cancer.

And then it happened… An outside planer board took off screaming behind the boat and the line started to peel off the spool. We all knew this was no walleye but it was a fish and something big! The planer board was thrashing on top of the water and it was acting more like a bobber. Whatever was at the end of this line was huge! We all worked together and finally landed this huge musky! We couldn’t believe it!!!

It’s been a few years since a musky has been in my boat while open water trolling for walleyes. It was the strangest thing… there we were catching walleyes one after another all day long and never had to wait more than a few minutes. After you called, over an hour went by and we did not catch a single fish. And then the very next fish we got was this big girl! ;-)

By the time we got her to the boat and took a quick picture, she was really played out. I worked and worked trying to revive her and it wasn’t looking good. I then noticed that this big musky actually had a tag in her. The DNR tags a few of these and it’s very rare to catch one. The tag comes with an unique 6 digit number and you’re supposed to report it back to the DNR along with the length of the fish. It helps them monitor their growth rates, age and the location of the fish and they will send you a report of when that fish was tagged and it’s location. Since she was so played out, I thought it would be selfish of me to pull her back out of the water just to read that number and instead, I wanted her to live.

About that time, my friend took over because I was physically and emotionally exhausted – I just couldn’t help her anymore and I was so sad that we had taken her life out of pure enjoyment. I wished that we had never caught her and felt tremendous sadness. I then felt guilty because maybe if I hadn’t taken her out of the water for a picture she would have survived.

A couple more minutes passed and then she finally showed some signs of life as her pectoral fins started to flair out. My friend worked her back and forth pushing water through her gills and he was talking to her. He said “come on girl, come on girl”, and then with a big swoop of her tail she magically swam away to the dark depths below to live again. -)

Mark, I’ve had some time now to reflect on this… I think it’s a sign or something and the reason we caught this big fish was because of you. I guess someone up above is telling me that all I need to do is to be there for you, keep praying for you, keep fighting with you and we can beat this evil thing called cancer. We then will swim again together to the depths below.

Thank you Mark for this beautiful fish and being such a good friend to me. Every time I look at this picture, I will think of you.

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Great story and read Brad! Prayers have been sent to your friend Mark for a speedy recovery!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

That is one of the best posts I’ve seen in awhile.

Thoughts and prayers to your friend Mark.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Very good post Brad. Prayers to you Mark.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Very nice post…prayers sent Mark.

ToddOlufson
    Coon Rapids, MN

God bless you Brad and Tina.

Mark my wife and I will pray for you and your family in your time of struggle with this heinous disease!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Absolutely horrible to hear that your friend has cancer Brad, but you are absolutely right that while the fight may momentarily seem to be a losing battle, it’s still not over and things can turn around in a hurry. One thing I know for sure is that nothing will be more beneficial for your friend than helping him to stay positive and keep fighting so I hope you will get a chance to spend time in your boat together in the future keeping up the fight together.

Kellie and I will keep both you and Mark in our prayers.
    Will

mike-west
    Amery, WI

So sorry to hear about the news you recived from your dear freind Mark.
    Stay strong for him and you and may he survive this to enjoy many more years of freindship!
    Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing
    Prayers sent

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

One of the best fish stories I’ve read in a long time.
    Thanks for sharing that experience, tough as it may be.
    Here’s hoping Mark can win this battle and ride along on many, many more fishing trips with you in the future.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Quote:

One of the best fish stories I’ve read in a long time.
    Thanks for sharing that experience, tough as it may be.
    Here’s hoping Mark can win this battle and ride along on many, many more fishing trips with you in the future.

X2

chomps
    Sioux City IA

brought a lump to my throat, very nice ending to a memorable day, an awesome tribute. Thanks for sharing. Prayers go out to your buddy Mark and his family.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Brad,
    Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear of the news about your friend. We will include you and Mark in our prayers.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Mark, My heartfelt prayers go out to you,your family and your friends.

Thanks for posting this Brad.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Prayers Sent….No Matter The Outcome, Mark Is Blessed To Have You As A Friend…Thanks For A Fish Story With A Message.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Prayers are with Mark, and for you too. Thanks for sharing the story and the bonus of a great photo!

blush
    Maple Grove, Minnesota

What a beautiful way to summarize that day and honor your friendship with Mark. It isn’t going to be easy, but we will rally and beat the cancer. God works in mysterious ways.
    Thank you Kevin and Craig for being there with us on Saturday. You are the best!

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Thanks for sharing this Brad. My thoughts and prayers have been sent to your friend.

bronco83
    Central Minnesota

Great story Brad – thank you for sharing. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mark and his family.

basser
    White Bear Lake,mn.

Nice fish ! Keep us posted on what specifically we can pray for as you friend moves forward. God Bless

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Kudos to you Brad! great way to support your friend!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Brad, not only will your great friend Mark and his family be in my prayers, but so will you and your family. So sorry to hear that news.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I hope everything turns out for the best.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thank you Mark for the memories. Your silly jokes always made me laugh simply because they came from you. You were always there for me especially in trying times and I thank you for that. I’m proud to have known you and honored to be your friend.

Rest in peace Marky and I love you.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sorry for your loss, Brad. We’ll keep your friend, his family and yours in our prayers and thoughts.

Aquaholic
    WI

sorry for your loss.

Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sorry to hear this Brad…. prayers.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

May he rest in peace.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.