Trap Loads for reloading?

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Anybody have a good trap load I could try to reload? Thimble size and powder? 1 1/8 oz of shot. I have a MEC 600 and have not used it for eons! Now that I am shooting trap again I want to start reloading again. I would like to mimic Winchester AA’s as close as I could.
    Thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Red Dot, 700x or ball powder?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

PS Check this out.

160 birds per minute<<

I was just checking and I have 4 boxes of trap loads upstairs. That means you would have to clean up the last 60 birds in a minute.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Which load of AA they have many dram options

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I’m thinking you’ll want something right on 1200FPS…Possibly consider 1oz vs 1-1/8th oz loads….
    Agree 700x + claybuster wads

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Chris we used to shoot alot, it wasn’t affordable to buy the factory loads plus we could play with the crimping packing pressures when we we’er folding and crimping the tops.

We used 7/8th oz of 7 1/2 shot with 8 flute windjammer wads that would open up as soon as they cam out of the end of the barrel. It didn’t hurt the pattern as the shot passed the pidgeon because occasionally we would see the pidgen jump up or down if the shot missed and that comes from a dense pressure wave caused by a dense shot group. The pattern was still very tight even with the modified choke and the speed of the powder and shot flight.

We bought bottles of 700-X and at the loads we were loading it was up around 1400 ft. per second. All you would have to do on a 20 to 25 yrd shot is aim at the very leading edge of the pidgeon and you’d powder or smoke it or break it up into small pieces. Occasionally we’ed shoot the pieces before they hit the ground. I forget what die I used for the loader to measure the same amount when the table was turned. It was a smaller die then what the a field load would be. 28 grains sound familiar, haven’t looked in awhile. Our field loads were 37 and a 1/3 grains of HS7 and that powder would burn and push the shot the whole length or the barrel and fire came out of the end of the barrel about a foot, an excellent duck, goose and field load and they litterly kicked your shoulder hard and [censored], we rarely lost birds, even out at 75 yrds using 4 and 2 shot. And I think these loads at 1 1/2 ounces of shot were only 40′ a second slower then the fastest trap loads, they didn’t miss egither with very little leading time or delay, we shot these out of full chokes. These had the same dram equivelent as a 3 1/2 nitro mag in a 2 3/4 in highbrass casing crimped at 70 pounds. For a trap load use a 2 3/4″ caseing with 700-x and 7/8ths ounce shot with windjammer wads. The compression cup on the bottom of the wads were very forgivable and built as a spacer that would adjust the powder, shot and crimping pressures, so each round shot pretty close to the same as others each time.

We used Ficcohi primers and out of the thousands of rounds we shot we only had 3 misfires, they were a primer you could depend on and they were 309’s. After you got so many rounds out of one caseing the brass or the plastic would split so we’ed go to the local gun range and pick up 2 3/4 slug casings by the 5 gallon bucket load, I liked Federals best because of the cup shape, we had better burning because of that cup and we knew this casings cup was performing better for the powder burn.

One thing I liked was we picked up all high brass and left the low bass on the ground and thats what the slug casings were. I still have my shooters recipe book for trap and field loads and there’s alot of different, very effecient loads to use, and some very fast ones to boot. 700-X is a very fast burning powder and it gets the shot out of the barrel in a hurry. I’ve still got my MEC loader too, simple and puts alot of rounds out with two guys working it, in an hours time. You start shooting trap now and by fall there won’t be any pheasants getting away, I found that after doing this it was automatic on where to point the gun at.

Have some fun again!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.