Wonderful Folks Still Out There

• minaki
    Mount Pleasant IA

As I was traveling to Lake of the Woods a week ago. The wheel bearing in my truck decided to go out. Very unfortunate timing given the fact that it was 2AM on a Sunday morning, raining, and my son and I were heading up for a trip we had been planning for 10 months. I must also mention the fact there was no part store in sight and I have no knowledge how to fix my broken truck. We coasted into a town called Northome Mn. and stopped at a dark gas station, which by the grace of God was going to open at 7:30 am ( on a Sunday ). Fisher Petroleum of Northome Mn. At 7:30 the owner Gary Fisher, arrived to open everything. I must mention several locals seem to help Gary with firing up the coffee pots and turning on the lights. Once this was done Gary turned to me and asked what I needed. Gary then proceeded to open his shop and tell me ” anything in this shop is yours to use to fix your truck” Being a smart man, Gary quickly could see that I had no idea what I was doing. Gary jumped into his jeep to retrieve the retired town mechanic from home who was getting ready for church. Bill the mechanic, arrived quickly. Upon fast inspection Bill diagnosed my problem and instructed me how to fix. Bill could tell I had no idea what to do. Bill made a call to BlackDuck Napa to locate a part. Now this was approx. 14 miles each way. How in the world do I get there? Before I finished my thought. Gary Fisher was fueling up his jeep for my trip. When I returned with the part. I find Bill elbow deep into my broken wheel bearing. My truck was back together in no time. Thanks to Bill we continued heading north to Lake of the Woods.
    Bill refused to accept any payment for repairing my truck and Gary loaned us his Jeep and entire shop to complete strangers.
    Many Thanks go out to these Men in Northome Mn. Where I’m from, this doesn’t happen. I encourage all you passing through Northome. Stop into Fisher Petroleum. Wonderful people. If you arrive early enough. Maybe you can help the locals turn on the lights and fire up the coffee.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That is just an awesome story! Kudos to those guys for going our of their way for you!

scott-k
    Red Wing

We experienced similar small town kindness this past weekend too! Great story…you will definitely have great fishing…blessings are set for you!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Is this the shop at the South end of town on the left as your heading North on 46?

It sounds like they not only gave you great customer service, but went way above and beyond.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill have to remember that next time up that way.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I encourage all you passing through Northome. Stop into Fisher Petroleum. Wonderful people.

I’ve gone through Northome many times. Never a reason to stop…until now. If the stations open when I come through, I’ll be stopping.

REAL people, paying it forward!!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

never been there, but if get up that way will stop and buy something. Great story!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I often stop at that place when passing through town. Cool story.

timmy

Great story. Thanks for sharing that.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Thanks for the story, I’ll be stopping there.

Snap

Great story. Northome MN put on my rest stop list.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Great story, remember to “pay it forward” in someone elses time of need.

minaki
    Mount Pleasant IA

The gas station is on the left side of the road heading North. On a serious note. They have a lot of tackle and bait, many grocery items. Awesome people in Northome.

dentedboatguy

We stopped in on our way to LOTW for gas and bait. We passed many stations to gas up at Fisher Petroleum. Spent about $80 for gas and $40 on bait and snackage. Happy to do business with a local business like this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.