New Net – Recommendations?

• PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I’m looking to pick up a new net for my dad for Fathers Day. Looking for something that will collapse down and take up little space during transport but also sturdy and reliable. I don’t want to spend a fortune and have seen some nets going for well over $100. Do you guys have any recommendations for a net that can handle walleyes, occasional pike and wipers? How are the Cabelas ones?

huskerdu

I have used a Cabelas net for 10yrs starting to wear on the netting will have to spray it with flex seal soon.
    Thorn Bros has a nice selection.

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

We have a cabelas net also and love the net. The only thing I wish is that it was longer.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Have you guys tried the Fold and Stow version?

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I have had both the frabill and stowmaster. Had the stowmaster stolen out of my boat a few years back. They are good nets. Extend to about 6′. Both have the coated net so it’s not terrible getting hooks out. I think frabill bought the patent from stowmaster cause I see no difference in the 2.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I like my Frabill Hibernet.. Got it at Fleet Farm on sale last winter. Probably more now, but a good net and a cool concept.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Have a friend you really likes the EGO S2 Slider, however I have not tried it myself.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Frabill Hiber-Net Fishing Net<<<

$99.99 Reg
    $60.00 Sale

* Hiber-Net Fishing Net
    * Net & hoop store inside handle when not in use
    * Deploys & stows quickly & easily with just a push or pull of the grip
    * 72 in. lightweight extruded aluminum handle
    * 27 in. x 31 in. hoop size
    * 32 in. netting depth with 1 in. knotless mesh
    * Fast & convenient storage with no tangles
    * Ideal for bass boats & center consoles
    * Fits into many storage lockers
    * Holds fish up to 25 lbs.
    * Weight: Approximately 4.5 pounds
    * Shipping Dimensions: Approximately 72.5 x 2.3 x 2.3 inches.

It’s too small for flathead or sturgeon fishing, but mine is in the boat all year for channel cats up to 25 pounds (and walleyes).

Why?

It doesn’t take up any room!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Have a friend you really likes the EGO S2 Slider, however I have not tried it myself.

I am on my second one in 3 seasons. First one broke where handle meets the net. Very little metal where it screws on. Got it replaced under warranty at Dick’s. The current one is now hard to slide. Looking for a new one also.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I picked up a new Cabela’s net back in March. Right around $70. Extends out to about 7-8′ and then handle collapses back to around 3′. Very nice net for the money.

ET

amundsonjon
    wi

Also own a hyber net nice net but in below freezing conditions it can be a pain. Also a tutorial on using before hand for fishing partners helps. Mine has held up nice got the longer of the two. Handled walleyes great but it is not hook friendly. Jigs with stingers or rapalas I tend to hand land unless its a larger fish.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

2 seasons on my Hiber net. Fits in my rod box when not needed. only complaint is it snags trebles.

Mwal

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Great price there BK. But they were sold out at the Oakdale store today.

-J.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

-J.

If you liked that price, you should have picked one up last winter when they were $45.99 for the 72″ models.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

If you liked that price, you should have picked one up last winter when they were $45.99 for the 72″ models.

No kidding DFRESH! That’s the deal I got for under the tree this past Christmas. And I know for a fact it will land a 28lb Flatty…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

But they were sold out at the Oakdale store today

With a bit of pre planning they can be bought through the interweb. At least that’s what Mr. Gore told me.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

-J.

I also have one and when I get to use it I love it a lot. When folded up its great to store. I would also recommend it.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Stowmaster all the way. I have been using mine for 8 years now 4 of those years were tournament fishing so it’s seen a lot of use.

Finish is wearing off the handle a little from where it slides through the hoop but the netting still looks basically brand new.

I would say when I need to buy a new one it will be another Stowmaster but the way this one has lasted….unless it gets stolen or someone drops it overboard I don’t think I’ll ever need a new one.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I cant believe we have “net post” and nobody has mentioned Beckman nets yet,NOT that I would buy one …just saying

I use a Frabil but I have room to store out of the way.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I cant believe we have “net post” and nobody has mentioned Beckman nets yet,NOT that I would buy one …just saying

That’s because poster is looking for collapsable nets and not the best net money can buy.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Quote:

Quote:

That’s because poster is looking for collapsable nets and not the best net money can buy.

I thought the exact same thing on both comments.

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

I have a frabill 9512 conservation series net with a flat floor. The hoop size is something like 26X23, it has the extendable handle` to 72″, and the netting is absolutely hook proof! It will handle everything you will catch with ease, and the stress on the fish is almost nil. I think you can find them for around $75.00 Great net!!!

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I am on my second one in 3 seasons. First one broke where handle meets the net. Very little metal where it screws on. Got it replaced under warranty at Dick’s. The current one is now hard to slide. Looking for a new one also.

I just picked one up. Hopefully this is fixed with the 2nd generation of nets. They are suppose to be more durable this time around.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I looked at the HiberNet during FF Black Friday sale. Looked like a nice net if you have two hands to “deploy”. Since I fish a lot I had to pass…what is the point of having a space saving net if I need two hands to get it ready when I have a fish on?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Some would say there’s a benefit to opening the net once fishing and close it for storage afterward. It takes the same amount of room as any other net in your boat, until it’s time to go home.

They aren’t for everyone. Folks that catch fish regularly over 20-25 pounds won’t have a use for them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a net that can handle walleyes, occasional pike and wipers? How are the Cabelas ones?

I would pass on the HyberNet for pike.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.