Towable Bush Hog

• luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Anyone have experience with towable Bush Hogs. I have a need for one to tow behind my JD Gator. Obviously it must have its own motor. The woods keeps creeping into the cropland and “deer pastures” This is something I would be using in the early spring before crops are planted. Must be capable of chewing up saplings up to 1.5 inches or so.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I used the bobcat mounted ones before. That thing would gobble up trees up to 2″ just fine, over that and you had to go slow and nice back and forth. I have never seen a swisher in action personally but, I imagine the bobcat has more power. For $300/day you can get a lot of work done with a bobcat.

Let us know what you do.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The manufacturer may say that a tow-behind unit will take brush the 1.5 inch size, but it’s slow and very hard on the machine. It’s also hard on your Gator driving over that stuff first. I’d look at walk behind units first.

Or look at renting a bobcat mounted one, or use a hand held brush cutter to cut down the big stuff first.

Once you get it mowed down, you could use a tow behind cutter for annual mowings to keep the woody stuff from growing up.

Grouse

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Used to have one back in my apple orchard days. However,it was powered by the tractors PTO shaft!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Quote:

The manufacturer may say that a tow-behind unit will take brush the 1.5 inch size, but it’s slow and very hard on the machine. It’s also hard on your Gator driving over that stuff first. I’d look at walk behind units first.

Or look at renting a bobcat mounted one, or use a hand held brush cutter to cut down the big stuff first.

Once you get it mowed down, you could use a tow behind cutter for annual mowings to keep the woody stuff from growing up.

Grouse

You are correct – most of these units are not capable of performing as stated.

Cut the big stuff down and use a tow behind for “mowning” – You will have less issues with blown bearings and bent drive shafts

Dog

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.