• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

D Day……..

Nothing in the paper or on the news

I won’t forget….A BIG thank you to all the guys that were there

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The DAV had an announcement this morning.

More lives were lost in a few hours then in the Iran/Afghanistan wars combined it said.

War is hell.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

True American Heros’

Many Thanks

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I had the opportunity to visit Normandy while on vacation over 10 years ago. It was simply awe inspiring, breath taking.
    To this day I still talk about it being one of the best vacation ‘day-trips’ I’ve ever experienced

To All those that were there that day
    And to those that continue to serve!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

True American Heros’

Many Thanks

Thank you to all who have given the ultimate sacrifice!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

We will never have another generation like that one.

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

I visited Omaha Beach 10 years ago, to pay my respects and say my thank yous in person. Also visited the Battle of the Bulge monument near the Ardennes forest.

If you have not read or watched “Band of Brothers,” I highly recommend it.

Much thanks to all who served and died on this day in 1944 and throughout WWII.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks for the link Jon. I can’t believe how poor CNN’s website functions. Aren’t they one of the larger news organizations in our country?? Just garbage.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Not to make light of it, but “French commandos equipped with bikes disembark from their landing craft after Allied forces stormed the Normandy beaches.”

Have you ever tried biking on sand?

I any even, thank you to all those who gave their live and those who fought and survived.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

“French commandos”??? Guys that snuck out and escaped? France was completely occupied?

ET

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

My GF’s father hit the beach in Normandy, he survived but sadly he passed away about 10 years ago.

True American heros!

dave_n
    Champlin, MN

I’m proud to say my father was one of those “Band of Brothers” of the 101st Airborne who parachuted into Normandy on that night 69 years ago. He was 23 years old and was the oldest in his group. He carried a machine gun and landed up to his arm pits in a flooded trench and nearly drowned. He survived D-Day, but sadly was severly injured in September during Operation Market Garden.

I toast my father each and every June 6th!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I’m proud to say my father was one of those “Band of Brothers” of the 101st Airborne who parachuted into Normandy on that night 69 years ago. He was 23 years old and was the oldest in his group. He carried a machine gun and landed up to his arm pits in a flooded trench and nearly drowned. He survived D-Day, but sadly was severly injured in September during Operation Market Garden.

Thats a great story

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

An amazing chapter in our country’s history. Imagine the courage it took to be part of that invasion. Truly inspiring to read the stories of that war. If you ever get a chance to visit the WWII museum in New Orleans, it is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

ET

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

to your father, true American hero.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

“French commandos”??? Guys that snuck out and escaped? France was completely occupied?

ET

It was a caption of one of the photos???

to Dave’s dad

dave_n
    Champlin, MN

D-Day, June 6, 1944:

To My Father, a True Hero, who risked his life that day by parachuting into Normandy on that night 69 years ago, to literally free the world. He was one of the “Band of Brothers”, the 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles. The pictures below show his buddies in their plane before the jump. Dad talked a lot about the second photo showing Ike adressing the troops before they got in the planes, and he says he was right there face to face, very close to where the photo was taken. And the last picture is of Dad in North Minneapolis in 1943.

I love and miss you Dad.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Thank You

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

…and also to those who fought in the Pacific. Those guys went thru he11 also and huge loses of life taking the many islands. Often not recognized for their sacrifice because of the Anglo/European background of our country.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

True American Heros’

Many Thanks

Thank you to all who have given the ultimate sacrifice!!

X2

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Eisenhower is the General in the second picture, he was one of those guys who cared about everybody, I wish someone like him would run for president again, he did a lot of good for this country that no one knows about. Ya its political but its a going to take someone like him to straighten things out, and he was an old school republican.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

God Bless his soul

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

D Day……..

Nothing in the paper or on the news

I won’t forget….A BIG thank you to all the guys that were there

What can I say other than my cup run’th over.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I owe him a debt for my freedom…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.