How much do you spend on fishing gear?

• haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Thanks everyone. I’m in that same ballpark and glad I’m not the only one. Looks like $1000-$1500 is not too far off for an active fisherman. James, I’ll leave you out, but I’m jealous too! DJ money is generally a 10% excise tax (3.5% for electronics and other items) on primarily hunting and fishing products that is directed back to states for conservation measures or restoration projects. Pat yourself on the back that your spending efforts are restoring the our watery landscapes. The amount of money being spent to help our resources is enormous.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All tax deductible?

Yup, all business expenses.

I hope to be there some day.

Keep in mind that before it can be a business expense it needs to be bought and paid for. I can’t tell you how many people have said to me “well you get to write it off” it’s almost as if they think you pay AFTER you do your taxes.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I think I’m the guy that skews the curve on this deal.

Last year I was a touch over $15,000 for fuel alone for boat and truck on fishing trips.

I just spent $800 on Smash Shads. 22 colors. 4 lures per color. 2 sizes.

I could go on but it will make me look like a complete DA.

I’d don’t think that makes you look like a DA. I wish I could do that but the wife would kill me. I’d say if anything it would make most of us Jealious.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Keep in mind that before it can be a business expense it needs to be bought and paid for. I can’t tell you how many people have said to me “well you get to write it off” it’s almost as if they think you pay AFTER you do your taxes.

Yeah I hear you. A boy can dream.

shaley
    Milford IA

Just lures and general gear $2500-$3000 a year not including gas, oil or any other goodies for the boat/truck/trailer/ice shack/quad….3/4 of that is on just muskie gear the rest on everything else….

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Well This Year between the I-pilot link, my new just encase tackle box, and my stereo, that puts me at about $3000. That doesn’t even include the money spent on muskie baits, which I’d say would probabaly be $1000 – $2000 so far and that doesn’t include the money I spend on mytrips either

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Whew! you guys are making me feel a lot better! I was just beating myself up for my fishing spending this year. Maybe I can pork in that new shotgun after all…

brian_j

Oh wow, this is not a fair question. Last year I spent about $5k just on electronics (but of course that’s a 5-10 year investment).

I’d say in a typical year I’m in the $2k ballpark for gear and gas but my boat and fishing gear is one of the few things I “waste” money on. I am very level headed about the rest of my spending. The funny thing is when I’m standing there with a $400 reel in my hand I always think to myself “am I really going to catch more fish if I buy this?” HA!

On a side note, these types of threads always surprise me to find how many guys lie to their wives. Hopefully it’s just banter.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

On a side note, these types of threads always surprise me to find how many guys lie to their wives. Hopefully it’s just banter.

I learned not to ask her about what she has invested in clothes Really? Different jeans for every day of the month…and she doesn’t wear jeans every day She probably doesn’t know the exact value of the garage contents…but she does know if I die to have an appraiser come in

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I learned not to ask her about what she has invested in clothes Really? Different jeans for every day of the month…and she doesn’t wear jeans every day She probably doesn’t know the exact value of the garage contents…but she does know if I die to have an appraiser come in

X2 perfect way to put it.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Fishing spending by the husband, and clothes / shoes/ makeup spending by the wife are best treated the same way the military used to handle the issue of sexual preference. DON’T ASK, DON’T TELL.

I don’t lie to my wife, she doesn’t lie to me. If you aren’t asked, you can’t lie. She does know every penny of my guiding expenses though as it goes on the tax return.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

I just spent 50 bucks at FF on lures, thats about my budget for this year. as far as anything else the stuff i used last year worked just fine, it didn’t get broken so it should work just fine again this year.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I just spent 50 bucks at FF on lures, thats about my budget for this year. as far as anything else the stuff i used last year worked just fine, it didn’t get broken so it should work just fine again this year.

I wish my mind worked that way, I could save myself so much money on boats, motors, and gear

ajs
    Mellen,WI

Never enough!!

riverruns
    Inactive

Quote:

And there you go. Perfect answer !
    Shawn

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

I think I’m the guy that skews the curve on this deal.

Last year I was a touch over $15,000 for fuel alone for boat and truck on fishing trips.

I just spent $800 on Smash Shads. 22 colors. 4 lures per color. 2 sizes.

I could go on but it will make me look like a complete DA.

GEEZZZ..I need a sugar daddy..

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.