Honda motor impeller question

• Follmerpa
    white bear lake

My mother inlaw purchased a honda 40 horse motor for her pontoon. Had it winterized at Hallberg this past winter,motor was acting up so they took it in and said the impeller needed to be replaced, this motor is less than 5 years old, could this be possible???

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Yes, it is possible. How many hours are on the motor?

FDR

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Absolutely possible. Simple fix

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Impellers fail I’m surprised it lasted 5yrs. Mine gets changed once a year. Heck I just had my lower unit rebuilt last fall and the impeller was changed at that time and this spring it was not pumping good so I put a new one in yesterday. They are simple to change and are not to expensive.

Follmerpa
    white bear lake

Thanks everyone for your response, I feel bad for the inlaws there getting the work done north of Garison for 250 and change. I thought it would have lasted a bit longer, the hours are low not used very much. Thanks again all…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Im guessing the impeller you are talking about is the water pump. My 25hp honda is about a 20 minute job to change out. 4 bolts and one link to drop the lower unit. Pop the water pump out and new one right back in. part isnt more than $10 if I remember right. Have only changed mine once in 10 years but have had it out to check it a few times.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Thanks everyone for your response, I feel bad for the inlaws there getting the work done north of Garison for 250 and change. I thought it would have lasted a bit longer, the hours are low not used very much. Thanks again all…

The low hours are tough on impellers…..they can dry out and become brittle not being used reg…
    I change mine every 2 or 3 years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.