I want to have GAS

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Talking about kitchen stove. I know there are a lot of variables, but how difficult is it to convert an electric stove to gas? I’m about 15 feet from the nearest gas line. Does it involve tearing out the basement ceiling? Or, can the newer gas lines get “fished” through the joists? Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Typically we run new gas lines from the tree at the furnace to where you want it. Have fished a few down the joist and stubbed them up. It all depends on how far and if there is anything in the way. Have had a couple where we have to cut a big enough hole in the floor behind the stove in order to get your hand down there and grab the gas line to pull it through. I still run a lot of copper for my gas lines. Like that it bends and holds shape. This helps with fishing it through finished houses. Most new construction guys are running gas tight piping.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

I too am looking at converting. My neighbor told me he thought that I would also need to vent my hood outside as my current hood is nothing more than a recirculator. Any thoughts on this?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

My neighbor told me he thought that I would also need to vent my hood outside as my current hood is nothing more than a recirculator. Any thoughts on this?

I hope not. Mine is not currently vented outside and has been that way longer than I have owned the house (6 years).

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If you are referring to Natural gas, then copper piping maybe ok, check with your local codes.

If it is propane DO NOT use copper piping!

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

If it is propane DO NOT use copper piping!

Why??? Code thing?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Propane flakes off in the inside of the tubing.
    First reason is the decaying of the pipe, second is the plugging up at the orifice.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Cant say I have ever heard of that in our area Denny. Gas is different on different areas. Seem to remember Canadian gas is tough on copper. Think some states do not allow copper gas piping for this reason. Not so here in MN.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Propane flakes off in the inside of the tubing.
    First reason is the decaying of the pipe, second is the plugging up at the orifice.

We have used copper pipe for propane over 50 years and never had a problem with it plugging orifices in the stove or furnace.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Mike is it ok to tap off after the meter and run up into the soffit and the attic and across and drop down to the stove? My neighbor did this years ago with a insert fireplace but I wasn’t sure about it. Would be alot easier than tearing out walls and ceiling in my basement.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Mike and IceNutz, You will not do that here in central Iowa or greater. This concerns the use of soft copper and propane fuel.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Mike and IceNutz, You will not do that here in central Iowa or greater. This concerns the use of soft copper and propane fuel.

Here in Wisconsin the gas companies install soft copper lines buried.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.