Truck Shocks

• ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

For you mechanics out there, I would like to replace the Rear Shocks on my `94 GMC. It is a K1500 with 70,000 miles and I would like to stiffen the rear a little bit as I now pull my `09 Ranger 1860 Angler with it. I am looking at the Monroe SENSA-TRAC LOADLEVELERS. Any Pros or Cons on these. Also would you replace all 4 or just the rear ???

Thanks for the help and TIGHT Lines!

Ironhead

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Is the rear bouncing around or is it sitting to low with the trailer on it?

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

It seems to bounce more than normal when you go over a dip in the road.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I would probably replace all 4 with a stiffer shock like you are thinking, I don’t have any recommendations though. Good luck and let us know what you go with and how they work.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

You don’t need a stiffer shock, with 70,000 miles they are simply worn. Just replace all four of them with the Monroe Matics, they are economical and offer a great ride. Do not put in any type of load leveling shock if the vehicle did not have them from the manufacturer, you may risk breaking the attachment point off the frame. If leveling for loads are needed, install heavier springs or air bags.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

You can also add a leaf or two to the regular spring assembly. Maybe take it to a spring repair shop, they fabricate spring assemplies to specific needs. Usually these types of shops build them for dump trucks, pickups, tow trailers, campers etc. that would be my first choice after new shocks, it sounds like you may first need new shocks. If the tounge weights a little heavy then they would add one leaf to the spring assembly to level out the ride and pull.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

If you don’t need any lift put Monroe Sensatracs on. The overload shock is great when you have a load on but a bit bouncy when empty. The Monroe-matics are too light and only have a 1 or 2 year warranty.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had good luck with Bilsteins as replacements on my half-ton 4×4 trucks. You can find them for a decent price along with many others online.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.