Prop Spin

• white80a

Bought a used prop for a spare. So I put it on to give it a try and it took off just fine and then I got to about 30 mph and it started to spin. So I tried a few more times and it would spin before I could get on plane. So is the prop junk or is there something I could do to fix it? Thanks for the help.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Sounds like you may have bought someone else’s problem. Sounds like a spun hub. They can be re-pressed by a prop shop though.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Does the prop have vents? (Holes in the side of the prop between the blades) If yes, plug them all and give it another try. You can buy vent plugs at any prop shop or marine dealer.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

From what you discribed, sounds like a spun hub. Easy fix at a reputable prop shop.

My experience with the vent plugs have been for cavitation. Jon may be right and its a super cheap fix if that is the problem

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Really may not be somebody elses problem…….If the prop set in somebodies garge for years they tend to dry rot! Happened to me, sorry for the $$$$$ spent! i’m sure it will be fine! agree with vent plug comment as well normally cavatation!

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

Sounds like you spun the hub. Its happened to me several times. Bring it to your normal marine mechanic and they can generally send it to a prop shop. If you live near Red Wing, West End Sports can send it in, I have also heard of a good prop mechanic in Frontenac.

white80a

Thanks for the fast replys. So if there are vent holes pump them full if epoxy? I’m sure it’s spinning and not cavitating. Where is the closest prop shop to Rochester? Rough cost? Thanks guys.

maurice

definitely the hub has been spun-in other words the drive shaft is turning the splined shaft inside the rubber hub insert–not a high dollar fix–in Cedar Falls iowa you can get a hold of gene at the prop shop–snagged

castle-rock-clown

From what you’re describing I would say spun hub with 99% accuracy but if you still need that 1% then remove prop and with black paint or magic marker draw a line marking both inner hub and prop. Run it till it acts up and remove prop. If lines are misaligned it is spun inner hub.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

And since nobody has said this yet, DON’T fill your vent holes with epoxy. Just buy the vent plugs that push in.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.