best bluegill flies

• BBKK
    IA

For those of you who fly fish… what are some good flies for gills when they are not up chasing bugs?

henny
    Prescott, WI

Had luck with nymphs (scuds, prince nymphs, hairs ear) and small beadheaded wooly buggers( cone headed for deeper edges) and san Juan worm.

BBKK
    IA

I love foam spiders in the summer but its still just a little early. The fish are down a ways still.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Nymphs and Streamers, usually size 8 down to size 12.

For Nymphs I tie a Pheasant Tail bead head with some color dubbed in at the thorax: chartreuse, orange, or pink. Some of the lakes I fish have a large population of Damsel flies and I’ve seen the ‘gills get selective about that, just like trout do. I tie Damsel fly nymphs in olive and grey. Marabou for the body and tail, a couple of turns of peacock herl at the thorax, and mono-bead eyes (melt the ends of a piece of mono to form two buggy looking eyes).

For streamers as others have mentioned you have to have some Woolly Buggers. Black, olive, brown, and white. I also like the old classic Black-nosed Dace as well as the smallest Muddler Minnows I can tie.

If I was restricted to one species using one technique, I’d spend the rest of my days fishing for Bluegills with a flyrod. I love it.

Good luck this Spring!

Rootski

BBKK
    IA

Thank you for the help!!! What size woolly bugger?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I like size 8’s. They discourage the smallest sunfish, but are big enough to sometimes get the attention of a Bass or Crappie. I use Mustad 9762 hooks a lot.

BBKK
    IA

I dont tie so I have to buy them or have someone tie for me. I got a chuckle out of discouraging small fish… im a newb at fly fishing so I need all the bites I can get

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Try a Bimbo Skunk fly for gills. Saw it on Northland Adventures this week end.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Try a Bimbo Skunk fly for gills. Saw it on Northland Adventures this week end.

A smelly blonde?

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I tie a lot of micro jigs. 1/124th, 1/100th oz (you can get the jigheads at Thorne Bros). Maribou, Krystal flash, bucktail, fin racoon – – tons of good body material. The light jigs cast just fine.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Had luck with nymphs (scuds, prince nymphs, hairs ear) and small beadheaded wooly buggers( cone headed for deeper edges) and san Juan worm.

On the san juan worms, what size would you recommend for gills?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.