Shock Collar????

• jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

What age do you guys suggest to start using a shock collar to train a dog?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Once it has a good understanding of the commands you are trying to enforce.

ccales
    Mpls, MN

My dog was on it at 9 months. I had her professionally trained and she was conditioned to the collar as part of that training. It worked very well for her and she actually gets exicted to put it on because it means we’re going to do something fun. I rarly use it anymore as just having her wear it is enough. I remember in the user manual it discussed minimum age of use but I can’t remember what it was. 6 months maybe?

ccales
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

x2. Doesn’t do any good to correct them if they don’t know what are asking them to do.

Follmerpa
    white bear lake

I say never. I had a choc lab never wore a collar and ghe was a machine on phesants. I have also hunted with other dogs who never wore a collar. Repitition and patience.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

I say never. I had a choc lab never wore a collar and ghe was a machine on phesants. I have also hunted with other dogs who never wore a collar. Repitition and patience.

This takes patience and commitment. I applaud anyone who can do this effectively.

The E-collar is simply a highly effective tool for training, NOT OBEDIENCE! It is to be used as a remotely operated leash.

As for age, as soon as they can understand how to walk on a leash, and understand the commands, the dog will bre ready.

I also believe the trainer needs more training with the e-collar than the dog.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I agree with the replys. I rarely if ever need to use the collar due to conditioning and repetition. I still have it on walks and hunting only as a precaution and insurance. You never know when a distraction will come along.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

The E-collar is simply a highly effective tool for training, NOT OBEDIENCE! It is to be used as a remotely operated leash.

I also believe the trainer needs more training with the e-collar than the dog.

I agree.

My lab wears her E-Collar 99% of the time she goes outside, even when it’s just going out quick to pee. Very rarely do I ever use stimulation but should I need to, the option is there. The beeper part is awesome once your pup understands what’s expected.

I started using the collar around 6-7months but every dog is different – some can handle a lot more pressure than others. You want the collar to be a positive thing. I’m no expert at all on this subject receiving most of my guidance from Don Hanson.

When I grab Maggie’s E-Collar off the counter and turn it on, she knows it means we’re goin’ outside. It’s probably the best money I’ve ever spent on the dog as it creates a lot less frustration for the both of us

ducksmuggler
    Red Wing, MN

as stated before “as soon as they know a command” my pup who is 6 months old is e-collar trained on sit, here, left and right side heel.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

When I grab Maggie’s E-Collar off the counter and turn it on, she knows it means we’re goin’ outside. It’s probably the best money I’ve ever spent on the dog as it creates a lot less frustration for the both of us

So we’ll a agree to agree. I agree with this too. Same for my lab.

Never forget that it’s only an extension of a leash.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that some may think these things are cruel. That can’t be farther from the truth. A dog that is hard to train will suffer so much more physical damage from a regular collar tgan an E-collar could ever do. The fact is that the E-collar only scares them and causes absolutely no damage at all.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

NEVER

rrw

remember the dog can be only as smart as his or her master put the collar on set it on hi and see if you like it .iam on my 5th lab and never needed a device to train them just takes a little more time and understanding.any one who needs a shock collar to train a good dog shouldnt have a dog. my 2 cents.DONT USE ONE

mmorgen
    Menomonie WI.

Every dog is different. I have had all my dogs trained by professionals and they all need to be collared conditions!!! this is like a Ford and Chevy conversation

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Quote:

x3 I believe this statement is correct. Shock collar is not a short cut for training. You need to do the yard work and make sure the dog understands the commands before using the collar or you are going to confuse it. I believe the shock collar is all about obedience. You issue a command and the dog will learn that 2′ away or 100′ away if it chooses to disregard your command there will be consequences that the dog will not like. What is most important is that you are sure the dog is disobeying or ignoring your command and not just confused and does not understand the command, this is a big difference. Take your time do the yard work with patience and lots of praise when the dog does it right and when you do use the shock collar like comments above unless there is an unusual distraction you will not need to use it. Nice insurance to have though in the few instances it is needed. A well trained dog is a joy to own and for others to be around.

mmorgen
    Menomonie WI.

that’s collar conditioning!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.