morels, any sightings yet?

• salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

with the incredible weather today I couldnt help but get out and check a few dead tree areas to see if any of the early fruiting blacks were up yet in my area. shouldnt be long, as the muscoda morel festival is on the 18th and 19th of may.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I have heard of a few down here in the last week.

I need to get out more, I’m feeling Gout deprived lately.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

theyre finding false morels already further north of me

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Im about to go scrounge around some more in a few new areas, but got the best news of all yesterday with the green light to re-hunt on some private land that I found a ton of morels on for the first time last year. Cmon good weather

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Seems a bit early. The ol’ standby for me is when the Lilacs are in bloom, earlier on south facing slopes. I would think a couple weeks at least? Who knows this year though. Usually by middle to end of May i’m always found near the base of dead elms

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Back in the day, I had places I used to find grocery sacks full of sponge morals down in Pottawattamie county, in SW Iowa, now I am in a new area and have not found any good huning spots.
    Most are tight lipped on where their favorite spots are, as I was years ago too.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I suppose if you have areas where the snow has been gone for a three or four weeks you’d maybe find the soil warm enough to see some grays up. Still early I think. Its nature so a guy never knows.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

yeah, Im looking for the early blacks right now, I dont expect to see any grays whites or yellows for another two weeks. I spoke to a horticulturalist and they said this year the lilacs addage may go out the window. spots had vegetative growth starting, but no morel signs anywhere just yet.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

just found a 60 foot high or so tree that was a good 4 feet thick and hollow making a weird noise. closer inspection uncovered a massive honeycomb hive within the center. thanks nature, now I have wild honey on the brain

Jake_A

I got out and looked yesterday afternoon…and found one very very small one poking up from under the leaves…its gonna be awhile yet.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I was in northern Missouri yesterday and what a diffrence 150 miles make, They are getting them there and the mayflowers are 8″ tall.

The word is they are finding a few very early ones here but don’t know if its true or not, but its about the right time and temps so they should start.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

we are a ways of yet, might go out next weekend to see what is going on. I usuall judge by the lilacs, they just started to get tiny leaves.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

we are a ways of yet, might go out next weekend to see what is going on. I usuall judge by the lilacs, they just started to get tiny leaves.

What do they say, lilac buds the size of squirrel ears? Or is that lilac leaves?

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

I got out and looked yesterday afternoon…and found one very very small one poking up from under the leaves…its gonna be awhile yet.

you never know, reports are coming in of more being found in michigan and now canada, although in chatting with professors today I was told of another new spot to check that really produced last year, bout to go check it out with the rain we had last night.

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

nothing special yet, but did have to highlights of the night. the first, while walking through the woods I heard this incredible crashing and turned around in time to see three deer come running right towards me full sprint. I just stood there in awe as they went speedily past me less than ten feet away, nice sight to see close up. shortly after they past I stumbled upon an ‘elm graveyard’ composed of 15-20 or so dead and dying trees. warm weather cant come any sooner.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

What do they say, lilac buds the size of squirrel ears? Or is that lilac leaves?

I just know the ground temp is about right when you first see the flowers. I think the saying is something like some tree leaves as big as pigs ears, who knows. I know I sent a buddy back to one of my honey holes last year he ended up with two paper grocery sacks full.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.