Boat Wiring – question???

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have a question on boat wiring.

When you have a 24 or 36 volt system for your trolling motor can you hook your kicker or other accessories to 1 of the 2 or 3 batteries or does that create issues??

I am confused because I was told that if you have a 24v system the ONLY thing that should run off that system is the trolling motor.

I called Ranger and they are telling me they ALWAYS hook the kicker motor to one of the batteries in the trolling motor system.

I had some battery issues and the shop looking for a power draw is telling my my batteries are hooked up “parallel” NOT in a 24v config and that if they were 24V the kicker would have issues being hooked to that system.

So anyone know for sure the right answer??

Thanks

castle-rock-clown

Every boat must be looked at individually since there are a miriade of ways to wire. On my boat I have a 24v trolling motor but, the wiring is 12v up to the plug/recepticle for the trolling motor. The wiring is 12v at the batteries so i can hook up 12v accessories. Your boat may be different. By the way, it’s a Marinco plug and socket that does this on my boat.

maurice

12V IN SERIES NEG-POSITIVE –NEG –POSITIVE GIVES YOU 24V FOR TROLLING MOTOR–KICKER COULD BE PULLED OF 1 BATTERY AT 12 VOLTS

amundsonjon
    wi

I believe if you pull off of the first batteries both pos. and negative you have 12 volts. Then when you tie pos of first to neg of second it creates 24 and so on. Have heard people have used trolling batteries for kicker app. my kicker is pull start so info is not first hand but i am sure others will know. Paint image of what i was thinking?

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I run a Ranger boat and just recently converted from 24v to a 36v bow mount. Ranger was shooting you straight – kicker connects to deep cycle trolling motor battery.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Yes, John you can hook the kicker up to the trolling battery. Some boats are jumped at the plug and some boats run jumpers right at the batteries. I would not hook up your graphs to the trolling motor batteries. The graphs tend to get interferrance from the trolling motor. Email me and you could give me a call and we could chat if you like.
    John G.

thegun
    mn

Quote:

Yes, John you can hook the kicker up to the trolling battery. Some boats are jumped at the plug and some boats run jumpers right at the batteries. I would not hook up your graphs to the trolling motor batteries. The graphs tend to get interferrance from the trolling motor. Email me and you could give me a call and we could chat if you like.
    John G.

what he said!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.