Brake Job

• doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

***Disclaimer: I am not overly mechanical

My truck’s brakes are starting to make some noise, sounds a bit like rubbing/grinding.
    I am very tempted to attempt the brake job myself. It’s obviously quite a bit cheaper, but also something good to learn. From what I hear & see it’s not the most difficult task ever
    I have seen it done in person a couple times.

Here is my concern. I am not a mechanic, I am most worried about ensuring the correct diagnosis. How much opportunity is there that this is something different or larger than just new brakes.

Thanks for any input!
    Oh: 2007 F150 FX4

Kevin

jerry b
    western WI

Depending on how far down they’re worn, you might have to pop for some new rotors. For sure you should get yours resurfaced. Take photos and document everything as you remove parts. These modern digital cameras and printers are a blessing. Look it up on the internet, it’s not brain surgery you can do it jerr

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

They make a few different sizes of brake parts for them.

My 04 has 3 or 4 different sizes based on rims dia. and trim pkg.

I have gotten into brake jobs and found i was given the wrong parts. It is a HUGE pisser, espicially if its a sunday of your dont have another vehicle to go get the correct parts.

I say do it early on a saturday.

It is an easy task, i generally will buy rotors, pads and a can of brake cleaner. The 150 is an easy system.

Return the rotors if you do not need them. With the cost of rotors vs turning them its not worth it. Also there are way too many “parts jockeys” that have no clue on the run out when urning and will turn a rotor horribly crooked.

I run napa lifetime rotors and ceramics, great life span. I am easy on the brakes compared to most drivers.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey, if I can do it anyone can. I have a local NAPA store I trust in St. Michael that I get my parts from. Like mentioned above, having a 2nd car to run and get missed/incorrect parts is always a plus.

doubleshot
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Appreciate the vote of confidence guys!

I might just have to jump into this project….and some

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you have never participated in a brake job I dont see how you can do it. OR get good directions online. That would do it!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

As other have said put on new rotors and pads. Get a can or two of brake cleaner and some grease. There are youtube videos for everything, I’m sure there is one for this. A lot of auto parts places will even borrow you the tools to do it.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I too am not mechanical in nature. That said brakes are the one item I will do myself. To do pads and/or rotors it’s really pretty easy.

Couple of tricks I’ve learned. Get a C clamp to hold the calipers so you can easily get them back on the rotors. The first time I did it it took way too long, a beer, and help from my future sis-in-law. Not pretty.

Ran into issues on the girlfriend’s CRV a while back getting the rotors off. Found all kinds of help on youtube.

I’ll never make a living at this but it’s a good way to save a few bucks.

deertracker

I was always nervous about doing my own brakes as well. I watched a youtube video on it and completed the front brakes in about 30 minutes and that was with a tire rotation. The part that prevented me from doing them in the past was I thought you had to bleed the brakes everytime. Not the case. All you have to do is take a c clamp and push the caliper piston back in. Watch a quick youtube video and get it done.
    DT

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

It is not too hard. Watch a video and note where to clean and lube. Use regular brake caliper grease. Don’t bother to lathe rotors. If they are grinding you will need to replace them. Buy a good quality brake pad that is at least equivelant to the original equipment pad.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Be sure you squeeze the caliper back in when the old pads are still in place. I forgot once and dinged up my new pad slightly.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

When you are done installing the brakes. Start the truck and pump the brake pedal slowly. The first couple of pumps the pedal will go to the floor and a couple more pumps it will be at normal position. Do not shift the truck out of park until the pedal is pumped up.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Some auto parts web sites have “how to” sections to view step by step..

go-fish
    Mn.se metro

Pm sent.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.