Spinning reels, maintance of them……

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I am thinking that I should clean and lubricate my reels before the new season starts while I am waiting for the ice to melt and weather to warm up.
    Looking at my reels it seems that they come apart rather easily IF one has the proper tools to do it, and the proper grease and lube also.
    I am wondering if anyone here can point me in the direction of where to start at.
    Thanks for any and all advise on this subject.

rcn_brian
    Andover, MN

What brand are your reels? I just lubricated mine – Shimano reels.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I have Pfleuger and Shakespere and Garcia.

After watching a video of a guy tearing one apart, looks like to take it all apart you might need to have the skills of a jeweler.

I can handle something simple, but all those small parts I would be afraid to tackle it.

Maybe use some of that HOT SAUCE on the easy to get at stuff but the guts in the back look too complicated for me.

I feel kind of over whelmed by it all.

Roger

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I take pictures of the step by step disassembly, also close ups of odd shaped parts that may go in more than one way.

Takes a bit, but you then have them on file for next year.
    Al

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Lay out a towel and line up every piece you take off in order. Lube up then just put back together in reverse order that you got the parts lined up.
    That’s what helps me out any way. Plus having the manual with the schematics in hand helps a bit when your scratching your head about how a piece went back on.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

I have Pfleuger and Shakespere and Garcia.
    After watching a video of a guy tearing one apart, looks like to take it all apart you might need to have the skills of a jeweler.
    I can handle something simple, but all those small parts I would be afraid to tackle it.
    Maybe use some of that HOT SAUCE on the easy to get at stuff but the guts in the back look too complicated for me.
    I feel kind of over whelmed by it all.

Roger

Basic cleaning-lubing does not need to be that complex Roger..

Bret posted this awhile back with pictures
    Bret’s Cleaning post

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

It seems there is two types of Hot Sauce.
    One kind is the grease type, the other is the oil kind.
    Looks like they grease is what is mostly used on the gears and bearing.
    The oil on the bail etc.
    Do I understand this correctly?
    Seems like the grease is the most important for the insides of the reels, that is if I understand this correctly.

Roger

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Did you click Bret’s post link?
    That will help a bunch and yes you are right…There is oil and grease and yes you use more grease on the inside.

Check out that link

tucrs
    NW Metro

Roger grease on the gears.

Oil in the bearings.

Pull all the parts out slowly even take pictures, (this really helps and reels without schematics). Reels are not too bad… Some do get complex, most are fairly straight forward.

Use a good screwdriver because you do not want to mess up the small screws.

John

BBKK
    IA

I would say for most reels you can go at least 3 seasons without having to grease the gears. Oil is a different story. I oil my reels at least twice a year. Oil in bearings, grease on gears.

Hot sauce is some good stuff. they sell a combo pack with both grease and oil i believe. Just be careful with the oil, it has a red dye in it that will stain any fabric it comes into contact with.

oiling a spinning reel is as simple as it can get. Take your handle and end cap off (opposite side of handle). There is a bearing on each side. Two drops of hot sauce oil on each side. Put it back together and go fishing. If you see any old oil/crud in there you are past lubing and are needing a cleaning.

To clean the bearings you take the reel apart. One bearing will come with the side plate, the other is under the handle gear. You need to carefully remove the gear in the center where the handle connects to and that will reveal the other bearing. pop them out and flush them out. Safest way is to clean it all up with a paper towel and Q-tip the best you can and then oil it up and spin with your fingers, more crud will come out, keep wiping until its all gone and then re-assemble your reel. Two drops in each bearing and you are ready to fishing.

If you oil them a couple times a year and make sure no crud gets in there you won’t have to do a cleaning for at least 3-4 seasons.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.