Gander Mountain Firearms Super Center

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Gander Mountain to Open Firearms ‘Super Center’ in Minn

Gander Mountain is opening a firearms “super center” in Rogers, Minn., according to an announcement by the company Friday morning.

The store will be the first of its kind for the state. It’s slated to open in late April near Interstate 94 and Highway 101.

The store will focus specifically on firearms, accessories, ammunition and security.

Gander Mountain is a Minnesota-based company and its headquarters are in St. Paul.

The Rogers store will be Gander Mountain’s 12th location in Minnesota.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2988034.shtml?cat=1

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

More places to buy usually is good, but I’m wondering if they’re going to have more ammo than they do now?

Good to hear though, thanks.

Al

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not when it’s 8 miles from my doorstep.

Going in right down the road from Cabelas in the old Best Buy store.

desperado

sooooo, now they can have A LOT MORE firearms NOT IN STOCK ?

orrr, A LOT MORE firearms IN STOCK

which the KID behind the counter STILL KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT ?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

I’m skeptical also, but I’ll give them a chance and stop in.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

The new store is hiring. Maybe you could turn things around.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Funny. I bet they dont have popular ammo available. Their sister super gun dept in Woodbury never does anymore.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I thought the Eden Prarie store was supposed to be their first firearms mega store?

Mega is good, but like Cabelas, outside of special deals on mass market firearms, I’ve always found Gander’s prices to be high.

Grouse

Burr

They just closed a Gander Store a couple years ago that was near the jct I-94, I-694, I-494?

So this one will stay open, when a very near location was not sustainable as recently as 2 years ago?

jon_wbl

More overpriced ammo just what we need.

big_g
    Isle, MN

NEWS FLASH… this just off the wire…

“Gander Mountain will never open another store, so as to appease the people who never go there”….

Sometimes I even make myself laugh outloud…

desperado

“Not going there” is just my way of helping out

so, I don’t take up a parking spot that a paying customer might want

desperado

but the one thing I would suggest is that they hire Hooters Girls to work the firearms counter

I mean if the help can’t provide any useful info,

they could at least be –> . . .

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

They’ll have all the ammo in the world as soon as North Face starts producing it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice pile on Ever walk into Cabelas ? Go up the gut, look left and right…. you say you want North Face ???

desperado

sure, then when you get past the clothing and to the gun counter, there will be someone there who knows how to open the action on any handgun in the display case
    AND knows that the action is SUPPOSED to be OPEN when the firearm is IN the DISPLAY case

call it a “pile on” if ya wanna
    but when the customer has to tell the person working the gun counter that the action is supposed to be open
    I call it CONCERN

and then when the customer has to open the action because the person working the gun counter hasn’t been properly trained
    I call that RISK at a level which SHOULD be unacceptable for a sporting goods business

sorry to come off like a heavy, but I’m not lienient at all when it comes to this serious of issue with proper firearm handling … especially by a firearms retailer

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Ironic. Pile on a company trying to meet the demand of a over paranoid take my guns away crowd.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I just find it very weird, how people who “won’t go there” know so much about it ??? Have you really been to all 11 stores ??? Are you a closet Gander lover ??? How do you know all this ??? You mean they actually have weapons in stock ??? So much hate…

desperado

sorry, ain’t gonna play this time

I’m usually the biggest smart arse on IDO (well OK maybe other than Pug)

But totally serious about firearm safety no matter where/when

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I don’t believe the actions are open anytime I go to Cabelas, could be wrong of course. I’ve been handed hand guns both open and closed at Cabelas. Although they have always been checked/cleared.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Again, your seriously are gonna sit there and slam 10 stores and firearms departments & god knows how many people trying to make a living, by what you seen at 1 ? Yes, please don’t play that game.

BTW, the handguns in the Guns & Gear counter case in Waite Park also, are displayed as “ready for action”… I have never felt unsafe, as I treat every weapon as it is loaded no matter the circumstance.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

I just find it very weird, how people who “won’t go there” know so much about it ??? Have you really been to all 11 stores ??? Are you a closet Gander lover ??? How do you know all this ??? You mean they actually have weapons in stock ??? So much hate…

I’ll go out on a limb and say that its the Rochester store that Desperado is referring to. I’ve had similar experiences there.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

They just closed a Gander Store a couple years ago that was near the jct I-94, I-694, I-494?

So this one will stay open, when a very near location was not sustainable as recently as 2 years ago?

The store in that area didn’t close, it moved because there wasn’t enough floor space to accommodate all the product GM had to offer.

desperado

G, will they hand ya one across the counter with the action “still” closed ?

Like you, I too feel pretty safe when I’m in the customer position (although I REALLY prefer it to be action-open when it’s being handed to me); and for that matter I wouldn’t feel unsafe if I were nearby when you were handed/handling ANY firearm.

But it’s not guys like you and me that are the cause of my concern … would ya wanna be near that situation when the “customer” is someone shopping for their first firearm (i.e. hasn’t handled them before and/or hasn’t had any instruction, formal or informal, in firearm safety yet)

desperado

sorry to be a hard-a$$ on this one, but it’s been pounded into me since I was six years old

I have a bro-in-law who is a firearms safety instructor and even if he and I were the only two in his basement; if I pulled a firearm from his gun-safe and handed it to him with the action closed, I know he’d smack me up the side of the head for it

(although he stores them action-open, so he would REALLY have reason to smack me if I handed to him action-closed)

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

sorry to be a hard-a$$ on this one, but it’s been pounded into me since I was six years old

I have a bro-in-law who is a firearms safety instructor and even if he and I were the only two in his basement; if I pulled a firearm from his gun-safe and handed it to him with the action closed, I know he’d smack me up the side of the head for it

(although he stores them action-open, so he would REALLY have reason to smack me if I handed to him action-closed)

I can see handing someone a closed action gun as unsafe, I’m still trying to figure out the action open in the gun case though.
    Can’t remember ever seeing that best I remember.

You want a little unsafe gun handling..hit some inner city indoor range on a weekend.

Al

desperado

Acceptable to have them closed-action in the display case AS LONG AS the action gets opened AS SOON AS the firearm is removed from the display case?

Alright, I can see that as a workable procedure …

then we still agree the problem in the scenario I experienced was unsettling? i.e. the person working the gun counter had no idea how to open the action of a handgun; therefor couldn’t clear the weapon before handing to the customer or laying it on the counter for the customer

LUCKILY in this situation, the customer knew enough to have the employee lay the handgun on the counter so the customer could the open/check it for himself (rather than have a hand to hand transfer of a firearm that had not been cleared)

desperado

Never been to an inner city range
    BUT
    Every range I have been to … the RangeMaster has always insisted that any firearm be action-open whenever it gets set down

TMF89

Well I figured it might be time for a different point of view. Mine being that I MAY work at a Gander Mountain, POSSIBLY at the Eden Prairie store, and MAYBE even in the Firearms Department (although I might primarily be a Fishing Associate). I figure that’s enough combination of hints and covering my own [censored] in case I say something that corporate doesn’t like. I mean if I worked for them of course.

We’re told to always clear the gun, personally I’ve been told to rack the slide three times (at least). Having said that, I’ll hand the customer the firearm (obviously pointed away from anyone) with the slide both open and closed. I haven’t heard any official SOP on it, but I tend to only leave the slide open if the customer returns the gun to me in the same fashion (usually people like to look at multiple firearms).

I feel that checking the chamber by racking the slide multiple times is plenty secure. Obviously safety is the number one rule in firearms handling, but at what point are we overdoing it? If I see a gun racked multiple times in front of me with the clip out, and see that the clip is empty, that’s good enough for me. Now obviously the first thing I do when I get the gun in my hands is check it again, because that’s just drilling muscle memory that needs to be there.

Also, there are plenty of people coming in for their first handgun who don’t even know how to rack the slide. I’ve seen some people get pretty red before trying to figure out how the action on the slide works, and I don’t mind trying to save them the embarrassment by handing them the weapon with the slide closed, and showing/telling them how to clear it on their own.

As far as storing handguns with the actions open in the case, considering they’re in a locked compartment with trigger locks on them, I definitely think that’s overkill. Is it “more safe” than storing them with the actions closed? Sure. Is wearing your life jacket every second you’re in a boat on the water more safe? Sure. But that doesn’t stop the vast majority of fishermen I’ve seen from having them off most of the time.

As far as knowledge goes, I can’t speak for other stores (see how I don’t attribute a select few experiences to an entire company with thousands of sales associates?), but if you think that the majority of the guys behind the counter at Gun World don’t know what they’re talking about…well you don’t know what you’re talking about. I can safely say that I’m probably the least knowledgeable person on the floor in that department (again I primarily work in Fishing but I moonlight up there when they need me), but I’ve helped hundreds of customers and sold dozens of guns, had plenty tell me I did a great job and was very knowledgeable, and very rarely have I had someone request a different salesman due to lack of knowledge. And while I certainly tried to carry out their wishes and find them someone else, a lot of people like that go into stores in a negative mood expecting to be disappointed, or just looking for a fight. So I’m not going to apologize because Joe GunNut has already decided I don’t know what I’m talking about before even interacting with me.

Enough about me, the rest of the guys in the department (although we have had some new hires that I don’t know as well as I’d like to, but they’re the minority in the group, and have only been there for the last couple months) know their [censored]. Now granted some are competition shooters who know their shotguns but aren’t specialized on rifles. And there are some guys who teach conceal and carry who can tell you anything you want about handguns of tactical weapons but again don’t know their hunting guns that well. And there are guys who have killed every animal in North America, and could tell you literally anything you want to know about hunting calibers, but aren’t experts on the latest handguns.

But that’s how knowledge works folks. Very rarely does a person know EVERYTHING about a particular subject. We all have our specific interests and we all tend to learn/seek knowledge relative to those specific interests. But if you’re not happy that every single associate doesn’t know every single thing there is to know about the world of firearms, well you’re just gonna have to sit there and cry.

Now as far as gun and ammo prices….yeah we know. We don’t set the prices, corporate does. I have no problem listening to a customer complain that our ammo prices are high, but when they start taking it out on us hourly associates, I get pissed. We don’t control it, we just work there. We have no say in what gets stocked or what prices get set at. And believe me we’re aware of how silly it gets sometimes. However we do price match, as long as you have an ad (or if it’s online we’ll just check the website). The rules are the store has to be local, and the sale cannot be JUST online, it can be both in store and online, but not exclusively on the web. We need to confirm the price of the item, and depending on the markdown, how busy we are, and how pleasant of a customer you are, we’re supposed to call the store and make sure the item is in stock.

Now I’m sure there’ll be plenty of people with strong reactions to my post, and don’t worry I’ll stick around. I’d like to leave you guys with this last bit of food for thought. Despite our negative policies and other issues, the reason I work there is because I get paid to sit and BS about hunting and fishing all day. Wouldn’t you?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.