Yamaha or E-TEC outboard

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Looking at boats but can’t decide on motors. Any input pros or cons between Yamaha and Evinrude E-TEC looking at 40-50 hp range. I don’t do much trolling. Wondering if one would have more vibration than the other. Anyone have experience with both?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I have a 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Very, very happy with the motor. I had a very poor experience with a salesman trying to jam a E-Tec down my throat or I may have bought one.

Your salesman and the shop you buy it from should be the determining factor. I think reliability wise both will hold up just fine.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have had both on my boat in a 75 hp tiller. Performance wise they where pretty close. Yes the e tech had a little better hole shot but then again are you buying that size of motor for hole shot. Gas consumption was very close. E tech might of been a little better. Noise wise they where about the same. Tiller arm was much better on the Yamaha. Got to love that trolling speed adjustment on the Yamaha. Reliability goes hands down to the Yamaha. Had more issues with my E tech, trips to get repaired and times broken down on the water. At one point I was going to just take that motor off the back of the boat and have a bon fire with it. No issues with my Yamaha yet.

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

I ran a 09′ 40HP Yamaha 4 stroke. Best motor I’ve ever ran.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The standard answer is going to be to get the Yamaha.

For a lot of open water running, I think the ETEC is still an interesting option. The saltwater guys love the ETECs because they are torque monsters and pop bigger boats out of the water faster than 4 strokes. There’s also the maintainance thing…

I’m with you, though. To me it’s still an open decision. I still running old school 2 strokes and I’m on the fence about weather I want to add the maintainance hassle of a 4 stroke. Reading about guys engaging in Oragami exercises to fold cardboard into the shape of a swan to keep the Yamaha from pissing oil all over itself during changes, filter cross-referencing, cold starting issues, etc.

All this vs keeping the oil res full and pushing the “start” button on the ETEC and then pushing the “store” button.

Grouse

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

The saltwater guys love the ETECs because they are torque monsters and pop bigger boats out of the water faster than 4 strokes. There’s also the maintainance thing…

I’m guessing you’ve never been to Florida before?

Would you rather have to do an oil change once a year or risk being broke down on the river?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been to Florida many times and I’ve seen lots and lots of ETECs hanging off of CC boats and skiffs. Yes, yes, seen lots of Yammis, Mercs, etc too.

Bottom line is when super-slow trolling speed isn’t the main concern (as with the OP) than people seem to be a lot more open minded.

Grouse

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I re-powered my 16ft Crestliner 5 years ago with a Yamaha 60 tiller and I love everything about the motor. The E-Tec could be great, but I always find the maintenance argument funny. The engine oil and gear lube change is a piece of cake, don’t let the once a year maintenance be a factor.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill second that. Oil change on the Yamaha is very simple. A guy should take the time at least once a year to look over his motor anyways. Got to change lower gear lube on both motors so you have the oil pan out and getting dirty anyways. Another 10 to 15 minutes to change the oil is pretty simple.

I would take a scheduled oil change in my drive way any day over being broke down on the water, cancelling a fishing trip and having the mechanic tell me see you boat in a few weeks.

Greg Selner

My question would be how good are the yamaha’s or 4 strokes
    in cold weather.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the info so far,looks like I’ll be going with 50hp Yamaha. That is what I was leaning towards. Just want to know what I want before I go to dealers.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

My question would be how good are the yamaha’s or 4 strokes
    in cold weather.

Mine is fantastic. Starts every time. Runs great even in below freezing weather. E tech on the other hand from my experience should have a warning about using in below 40 degree weather. Real crap shoot if it will even turn over in those cool temps. New batteries, 3 starters, finely jumper cables directly from the truck to the starter on the side of the motor and it would not budge in 30 degree weather. Let it warm up to 40 degrees and just a turn of the key and it would go. That is a messed up motor.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I run a Yamaha F150 and I “LOVE” it

I’m very impressed with it

So I can see motors in the 60hp – 75hp range being great little motors

chubby
    Bloomington

In 2010 Yamaha sold more 150 hp 4 strokes than Evinrude sold of all of their models put together. That should tell you something!

honda75
    Iowa

This is a toss up in my book. I have a yammer hammer on my pro v right now and don’t mind it but I know for a fact my next motor will be an etec. Fuel economy and speed can’t be beat from what I have seen. Buddy has one on his pro v same size and year as mine and I can’t keep up or get the economy he gets.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Tiller arm was much better on the Yamaha. Got to love that trolling speed adjustment on the Yamaha.

Just curious, Mike, what was better about the tiller arm on the Yamaha compared to the ETEC?

Grouse

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Can’t go wrong with a Yamaha I love mine so much I bought two!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Quote:

Tiller arm was much better on the Yamaha. Got to love that trolling speed adjustment on the Yamaha.

Just curious, Mike, what was better about the tiller arm on the Yamaha compared to the ETEC?

Grouse

The tiller arm on the Yamaha was just much more user friendly than the E Tech. Trim button on the end of the handle is very nice for making one hand adjustments while under way. From where i sit in my boat while driving my feet dont even come close to reaching the tabs on the floor. Even if they did it still wouldnt be as easy as just making those adjustments with my thumb on the end of the tiller arm.

If I remember right I think the shift lever was located farther back on the E tech. Hee again having it up towards the end right where my hand is holding onto the arm is nice. Most likely not a big deal on this unless you are spending long hours trolling and need to quickly hit those spots where the lures need to come to a stop.

Yamaha has a trolling speed adjustment button and the E tech does not. Adjusts RPMs with the push of a button by 50 RPMS at a time. This is a fantastic feature for fine tuning speed while trolling. Trying to fine tune that with the E Tech throttle just plain sucks, will wear on you and on long fishing trips wear on you enough to the point that you are not presenting those baits properly. This is something most guys would not figure out unless spending long nights running each motor. If you are a troller do not ever buy a motor with out this features. Heck I even use it while anchoring some times to.

Ive said many times that even when the E tech was running properly it was a decent motor but still not the motor my Yamaha is.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Thanks Mike W. and everyone else for all the good info sure appreciate it.I am definitely going to go with Yamaha 50hp.

Chris H

I have run Yamaha’s in the past two boats and have been nothing but happy with them!!!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.