Like A Good Father Should

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

My oldest at home daughter become puky sick last night in the middle of the night , which not only means NO school but NO daycare !

The FW and I both work for the same company and have very understanding bosses and they realize with sick kids one parent must stay home and since I am the mechanic(I spend money)and she is a sales consultant on the Limo side of the company(she makes money)I go in really early to get my work done so she can still go in and do her job.

So here I sit like a good father tending to my daughters sick needs for the day,keeping an eye on IDO and maybe even tie some jigs.

It’s a good thing she has a TV in her room,I couldn’t handle all the young kid shows she watches all day long,besides I am not much of a TV watcher.

Well time to catch up on IDO for starters.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I get sick-kid duty, too, as my employer is much more liberal with “sick days” than my wife’s is. Most times, I would rather be at work!

oldguy
    Lisbon, Iowa

“When it comes to family-Sometimes it not all about fishing”

Well said Jeff. More families should figure out how to do this and not pawn their sick kids off at daycare or send them to school. I was fortunate enough to work at the school right next to our house and was able to pop in and check on them if one of us couldn’t stay all day as the kids got older. We were fortunate enough that their mom was a stay at home mom when they were little. But that is hard to do today for sure! Hope she is feeling better soon!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

The things we do for our kids
    I still remember the first time my daughter threw up like it was yesterday, and it was 12 years ago. Late night, hear something strange in her room, walk in to her standing in her crib. She is covered in vomit. A closer look and see it running threw the slats in her crib and onto the floor.
    I cleaned it up, gagging each and every minute.

I as you, would do it again if I had too.

One doesn’t realize the amount of love one can have for someone till you have a child.

If you get bored enough, you can always tie jigs for your IDO friends

Enjoy your day the best you can, but most of all take care of your daughter.

Ron

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

But that is hard to do today for sure! Hope she is feeling better soon!

Don’t even get me started on stay at home parents. A terrible idea (and thing).

Well done Jeff. I had to log some home time last month with both a sick baby and a sick momma. I beleive that started my “How can people tolerate being home all day?” thread.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Wade for me it gets easier and easier to stay home these days,
    when my older kids were growing up I was not able to see them through their growing years as a parent should.(Parental split up)

I vowed if I ever had more kids I would do WHAT EVER it took to be there to see and watch them grow up !

ALL my kids come FIRST and FOREMOST and thats the bottom line !

They grow up so fast and at the age of 54 I am starting to slow down to enjoy them growing up and do things with them,this is their time to live life to the fullest and have fun doing it !

Sick or not we parents need to be a HUGE part in their life !

deertracker

Quote:

Don’t even get me started on stay at home parents. A terrible idea (and thing).

When my wife worked full time she made less than $200 a month after daycare expenses. We agreed it was better for her to stay home. Geez spending qaultiy time with your kids when they are young, yup a terrible idea.

DT

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

We are seeing it first hand right now. Kids should be exposed to other kids and adults on a daily basis (or at least weekly). Adults should be exposed to other adults and have something to strive for other than cleaning poopy butts and making Mac N Cheese on a daily basis. Plus once the kids are gone the stay at home parent finds the have no professional life and are pretty much screwed as far as getting started in their middle age years.

To be fair this winter is the worst winter to be a stay at home. Being stuck inside for weeks on end is not conducive to good mental health.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

[quot}

So here I sit like a good father tending to my daughters sick needs for the day,keeping an eye on IDO and maybe even tie some jigs.

..I could use a few kelly green jigs with a black head. …rrr…Ps any Or all sizes.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

To be fair this winter is the worst winter to be a stay at home. Being stuck inside for weeks on end is not conducive to good mental health.

Had I known I would sent over some jigs to be tied

I hear you , if one doesnt have an inside hobby to fill that time it could very trying ordeal.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Wade, interesting perspective. I did everything I could to earn enough to allow my wife to stay at home and raise our two sons. Both the boys are in college and doing well and my wife has re-joined the work force with a part time job and a home based business. We lived a simple life style but the benefits for all four of us were/are fantastic.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

She is a artist and likes to airbrush jigs. I should teach her to tie them as well.

@ John. Yeah, I hear ya. Our experiences have not been so positive. I often wonder if competitive and highly assertive type A personalities do not make good stay at home parents?

John Luebker

Quote:

We are seeing it first hand right now. Kids should be exposed to other kids and adults on a daily basis (or at least weekly). Adults should be exposed to other adults and have something to strive for other than cleaning poopy butts and making Mac N Cheese on a daily basis. Plus once the kids are gone the stay at home parent finds the have no professional life and are pretty much screwed as far as getting started in their middle age years.

I didn’t know that since my wife is a stay at home Mother she is suppose to “stay at home” the entire day. I better call and let her no more play dates with other kids and other adults. There are ways to expose kids and parents to have a social life without taking them to daycare and work.

You have some interesting “facts” and you know what my wife loves the fact that SHE raises our kids not someone else and that is the purpose she STRIVES for.

jason-pitts
    Des Moines, IA and Hager City, WI

Quote:

[quot}

..I could use a few kelly green jigs with a black head. …rrr…Ps any Or all sizes.

RRR is going to start fishing Pool 2. Everyone knows Kelly Green doesn’t work on P4.

mike ice

Wade you could try to find some parent/kid groups through a community education facility. I was involved with a daytime dads group for many young years and it was awesome. Kid time, then some adult time. I stumbled upon this group by accident when we were at a park playing one morning ang ran into an old buddy that was there with the daytime dad group.
    Have fun and spend as much time with them as you can they grow up fast and you don’t know what tommorow may bring.

scott-k
    Red Wing

Great topic and various perspectives that are really all saying the same thing: being involved in your kids’ upbringing will make a difference in a positive way.

NUMBER ONE issue for kids struggling in school: parents not involved in guiding them. It’s not drugs, not cell phones, not peer groups–it’s parents who are not on the scene giving guidance.

As dads our ability to be positive role models is HUGE!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.