Ford-Chevy-Dodge Truck- What should I get?

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

And Why?

Looking for a pre-owned pick up truck maybe a few years old. Want to stay around 25k. Main use is to get to work & back, pull an 18′ boat and a 22′ hybrid camper (3800 lbs). Of course, gas mileage is important. I’ve done a fair amount of research and it appears that the Dodges are the best priced and Fords being the highest. I’m sure most guys have had good or bad experiences but I’m looking for any little gem reasons why I would go with one or the other. I plan to test drive all 3 sometime soon. Any information is greatly appreciated!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Give Doug Ertl a call at McCays in Cloud town. Tell him what you are looking for. He’ll do you right.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I was hoping G would take me for a test drive there??!!! And, my brother in law works at Miller GMC in town. I just want to make the best decision possible since I keep my trucks for 10+ years.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know GM trucks are routinely going past 200K without major issues.

big_g
    Isle, MN

How many miles on the Dakota now ????

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I bought a 2012 Ram with the 4.7 and love it. However, if I had to do it again, I’d probably go with the Hemi, just because it doesn’t cost much more and the fuel mileage is about the same.

I was in the same boat as you, and decided I could buy a brand new Quad cab Ram for the same price as a 40-50K mile F150. Since I plan on keeping this truck for many years, having 50K less miles on from the start was a selling point. That’s 3 years worth of miles for me.

Drive them all and see what you like, but I truley feel they all make pretty nice rides now days.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I think your ram will be the cheapest but they will be the worst in gas. Ford will be your most expensive and alittle worse then the chevy in gas milage. I like the looks of all 3 of the models now a days so for me personally would be what I could get the best deal on.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Toy.

Yup…5.7L…made in USA

hamms
    Mn

What would a used F150 with ecoboost engine cost? I like the Gmc pickups also. Toyota makes a heck of a rig but I know that wasn’t in your list.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Quote:

Toy.

Yup! About 5.7 mpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Toy.

Yup! About 5.7 mpg

Yeah, but since when are trucks about fuel efficiency?

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

How many miles on the Dakota now ????

And I just Hot GLUED the passenger side rear door window so it won’t slide down anymore. I’ve hit rock bottom.

run&gun
    MN

Quote:

Since now… Pentastar

Doesn’t the durango have the 3.6 pentastar engine? I know they are pretty thirsty on gas.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

And G, the toughest thing is that the thing has been running like a champ and still looks pretty good. The last thing I replaced was the radiator that you did 18 months ago.

kidfish

I’m a GM guy, but all I will say is two of my good friends have had a lot of paint peeling and rust forming on their Rams that have less than 100k miles. There may be a good reason they are priced cheaper.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Maybe wait a few months until Dodge brings out the new diesel engine that they are building for the 2014 Grand Cherokee. A blurb in an automotive magazine mentioned Dodge may make that engine available in 2013 for the Ram pickup. The engine is guess-timated at 30 mpg for the Cherokee (and the pickup). It has torque in the hemi range and is expected to cost about the same as the hemi. The new air ride suspension sounds like a great idea too. Better mileage on the highway (lowers itself for less drag) unless your loaded (it automatically adjusts to load). You also can raise the body level for more ground clearance when you want.

Jake_A

In my honest opinion, look at a Chevrolet 1500 with the 5.3L Vortec. That engine is unstoppable and they are a dependable vehicle. As far as the year, try going either 2001-2004 or 2007 up. Everyone in my family drives the 5.3’s, always have and they have never had an issue with any of them. No they don’t have fancy “ecoboost” or “THE HEMI!!” but who needs that?

Like a rock (psh, ford and dodge… )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

In my honest opinion, look at a Chevrolet 1500 with the 5.3L Vortec. That engine is unstoppable and they are a dependable vehicle. As far as the year, try going either 2001-2004 or 2007 up. Everyone in my family drives the 5.3’s, always have and they have never had an issue with any of them. No they don’t have fancy “ecoboost” or “THE HEMI!!” but who needs that?

Like a rock (psh, ford and dodge… )

Just wait until one of your family members steps into the 6.2 max in the 1500…..

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Why not give the Ford F-150 4×4 STX a look priced around $26,000 I would not even look at used for that price. Comes with the 5.0 v-8 and that will pull anything just about that a person needs to . I have the 2013 5.0 f 150 plenty of HP I pull a four place snowmobile trailer guessing 2500lbs. loaded don’t even know its back there. I get on average 18.7-19.8 MPG maybe higher on highway driving. Highest towing capacity in its class 11,000lbs. and best built truck out there I think. I think the only thing the STX don’t have that the XLT does is power seat,different center console,painted bumpers otherwise the same truck. But it does only come I think in the super cab and not the super crew. I looked at them all also and this was the best buy. Remember cheaper is not always the best you do get what you pay for. I have always heard alot of issues with Dodge from paint and rust to transmission problems.The 2003 F-150 5.4 I traded in had 204,000 never had any issues with it and the 2007 I traded in on the 2003 had 293,000 never no issues with it either. Just my .02 worth. Buy American Made

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have a 07 Silverado with the 5.3 with active fuel management V-8 that kicks down to V-4 on the highway. While it is a nice truck I have had my share of issues with it. I was starting to have oil consumption issues with it. GM rebuilt the motor at 49,000 New pistons, rings, & lifters. Have also had problems with some of the electronics too.
    I love the truck,nice ride, plenty of power, & good gas mileage too,21.5 on the highway I hope I don’t have any more problems cause I plan on keeping it for several more years.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

There’s a reason you almost never see a Dodge plowing snow for any of the snow removal services, it’s always a Ford or a Chevy…..

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

100% agree there Fords have a much better built front end in them. Also around here just about all the big contractors and construction companys drive Fords that should tell ya something right there.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m hearing the 5.0 is getting about the same and sometimes better mileage than eco.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

100% agree there I own a 2013 f-150 5.0 average 18.5-19.7 or so and that is just your average driving around not much highway driving. My brother has a 2011 5.0 about the same milage on the highway he has seen 20+ mpg. Talked a few people before buying the 5.0 that had the eco most of them were getting worse milage than that. Had a friend with eco could only get 15-16mpg traded for 5.0. Depends on how you drive them I think with the turbos.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I’m a GM guy, but all I will say is two of my good friends have had a lot of paint peeling and rust forming on their Rams that have less than 100k miles. There may be a good reason they are priced cheaper.

I’ve got a 2002 and I can guarantee you that I don’t wash the salt off very often. I have 0 rust except some on the undercarriage, the muffler in particular. I need a new one, but I like how it sounds like I got pipes on my rig.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve got a 2002 and I can guarantee you that I don’t wash the salt off very often. I have 0 rust except some on the undercarriage, the muffler in particular. I need a new one, but I like how it sounds like I got pipes on my rig.

I thought it pretty funny a GM guy calling out Dodge for rust… Look familiar ???

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Look familiar ???

Hey, who painted my truck silver?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m a firm believer in rust proof and undercoating the vehicle when they are new and give them a regular bath.

I’ve done it to every one of my cars and trucks. Last two Chevy trucks went 11 years with 175,000 miles on then and 0 rust on the exterior.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.